Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sour Grapes - wine fraud documentary

6,976 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HTownAg98
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone seen it? It's definitely interesting. While it exposes a major fraud, it also shows the idiocy of people thinking they know wine just because they have the money to buy expensive bottles.

Not wine, but I wonder how many bottles of fake Pappy have been swooned over.
BSD
AG
I haven't seen it but I want to. I have a few bottles of wine that I've bought that I had independently verified by a third bottle as to authenticity. They are bottles from a domaine that counterfeiters love, thus the extra precaution. The more recent vintages I've bought from that domaine have been purchased on release from very reputable retailers. Unlike some of those "idiots" you mention, this idiot can't afford to take a chance on buying blindly.
MookieBlaylock
AG
I saw it
The ending is hilarious that dudes face when he finds out thw wine is fake is well worth it
AggieChemist
AG
queso1 said:

Anyone seen it? It's definitely interesting. While it exposes a major fraud, it also shows the idiocy of people thinking they know wine just because they have the money to buy expensive bottles.

I've refilled my bottle of pappy 20 year old several times with Weller 12. I dole out drams to buddies that think they like whiskey but don't know whiskey.

They all feel special and tell me it's the best they've ever had. And to be truthful, it probably is after years of drinking nothing but Jack Daniels.

I kind of feel like a dick about it, but it keeps them out of the bottles of BTAC.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
AggieChemist said:

queso1 said:

I've refilled my bottle of pappy 20 year old several times with Weller 12. I dole out drams to buddies that think they like whiskey but don't know whiskey.

They all feel special and tell me it's the best they've ever had. And to be truthful, it probably is after years of drinking nothing but Jack Daniels.

I kind of feel like a dick about it, but it keeps them out of the bottles of BTAC.
This.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
What domaine is that? Just curious.

This movie looks great. I hope it gets distro on Amazon Prime or Hulu or Netflix-- something. I need more wine docs in my life. Loved both Somm films.
Whoop04
HTownAg98
It's on Netflix now.
BSD
AG
HTownAg98 said:

It's on Netflix now.

Sweet. I'll watch it Saturday to get my disappointment fix since the Ags aren't playing.
BSD
AG
Inspector Spacetime said:

What domaine is that? Just curious..

Romanee Conti. I've bought an assortment for my son's birthyear and a few other one-off bottles for special occasions.
chico
AG
Thanks for the suggestion OP. Just watched on Netflix- cool flick
Inspector Spacetime
AG
HTownAg98 said:

It's on Netflix now.
Oh cool, I can't believe their website didn't mention that. It was just some festival dates. Thanks!
62strat
AG
AggieChemist said:

queso1 said:

I've put sunny brook in crown bottles (in college) and no one said ***** It's getting mixed with soda of course.
aggiebq03+
AggieChemist said:

queso1 said:

Do these guys never wonder why you keep buying bottles of $800 bourbon to share with them, while you only drink the $150 bottle?
chipotle
This just strengthened my fears of drinking 20 dollar plus wine. Wine cube 4 Life

62strat
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

AggieChemist said:

queso1 said:

Do these guys never wonder why you keep buying bottles of $800 bourbon to share with them, while you only drink the $150 bottle?
PVW 20 is $169. Many people do get it at retail ya know.
aggiebq03+
62strat said:

aggiebq03+ said:

AggieChemist said:

queso1 said:

My definition for the word "many" is different than yours I think. If I can't purchase for that price I don't consider that many people can get it for retail.
Whoop04
I had the cab over thanksgiving, and really wanted to like it, but didn't. I will give the Pinot a try though.
chipotle
The PN is ok, the red blend ain't bad either
62strat
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

62strat said:

aggiebq03+ said:

AggieChemist said:

queso1 said:

My definition for the word "many" is different than yours I think. If I can't purchase for that price I don't consider that many people can get it for retail.
Every bottle is purchased at retail price.. the first time around. So yes, many people (who buy a PVW bottle) pay retail price.
AgEng06
AG
You mean the actual liquor stores? The stores around here that get it sell it with a markup from the start...
FtBendTxAg
AG
Back on topic, that was a very entertaining documentary.

I can't get over the level of Dewshiness of the producer guy and his handler or whoever that other younger idiot was
Whoop04
Yeah, the younger of the two is one of the most punchable POS ever.
Orozco05
BSD said:

Inspector Spacetime said:

What domaine is that? Just curious..

Romanee Conti. I've bought an assortment for my son's birthyear and a few other one-off bottles for special occasions.

Wow.
Redstone
AG
The very fact that only one person was prosecuted for the scheme raises the possibility of anti-Chinese bigotry, which is especially unfortunate given what so many Chinese already face in Indonesia.

Second, no true connoisseur of wine would be fooled by forgery. Most unbelievable part of the film.
BSD
AG
This thread made me go back and look at the initial email that I sent to a auction house/retail store about a bottle I ended up buying from them. Here is one of the emails. Just so you don't waste time typing in the Dropbox url, it's expired and the pics aren't on there anymore.

jetch17
AG
We watched this tonight. Very interesting and entertaining.

Also, don't F*** with Bill Koch apparently
La Fours
AG
Whoop04 said:

Yeah, the younger of the two is one of the most punchable POS ever.

I agree with your sentiment just based on watching this movie tonight. Is hat how you formed your opinion or do you have other points of reference for that guy?
BSD
AG
Just finished watching ourselves. It makes me never want to buy an older vintage of old world wine again. Jesus...
BSD
AG
jetch17 said:

Also, don't F*** with Bill Koch apparently

Nope. It isn't about money to him, it's about keeping your word. But he has plenty of money to **** your life up if you don't.

Interestingly, he auctioned off a good portion of his cellar earlier this year.
jetch17
Whoop04
Just from the movie.
jetch17
AG
BSD bathes in that Thomas Jefferson wine
UndergroundAg
Watching now and contacting an investigator Monday morning to audit my cellar.
UndergroundAg
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.