Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

High End Rums

66,781 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by HTownAg98
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm a bourbon guy but my neighbor poured me this last week. It was incredible. Too sweet to drink all the time, but didn't know rum could taste like that.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Count me out on the Pilar, it taste ls like it's been sweetened with sweet n low
CactusThomas
AG
jh0400 said:

I bought a Redoutable today. Excited to crack it soon.

Haven't been able to find this one yet but I hope I can get it eventually.
Pearl2010
AG
I have a student from Zacapas, Guatemala. Currently have a bottle of XO and negra. Unbelievably good stuff.
CharlieBrown17
AG
CactusThomas said:

jh0400 said:

I bought a Redoutable today. Excited to crack it soon.

Haven't been able to find this one yet but I hope I can get it eventually.

Not on the west coast yet either
CharlieBrown17
AG
Just cracked redoubtable.

Surprisingly little nose, really good punch to the face palate and oily mouth feel.

I'd say a little less flavorful than recent ECS/store pick four squares but still great as always. Buy if you're a foursquare junkie at 125. If you aren't, probably more enjoyable bourbons/scotch at that range for you imo
CharlieBrown17
AG
Looks like Houston bourbon society has a private foursquare release on the way. 12 year, all bourbon

ISO mule
AlaskanAg99
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Looks like Houston bourbon society has a private foursquare release on the way. 12 year, all bourbon

ISO mule

When and where?
aTm '99
GarlandAg2012
AG
Finishing this off tonight.

I'm getting a lot of banana in the nose. Really tasty.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
SpiderDude
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CPDfHQHMB2E
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Boo that. Keep them ignorant and keep the prices reasonable.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Whatever happened to the HBS Foursquare rum pick?
HTownAg98
Agreed, though there appears to be enough bourbon makers in the game now that is keeping the prices reasonable, and should start bringing them lower in the near future as supply will start to catch up. It will be a damn shame if my favorite $30-$50 bottles are $75-$100 in another two years.
FbgTxAg
AG
Not high-end, but anyone tried this Texas Rum? Would love to hear any feedback. They're opening a tasting room about 1/4 mile from Deep Eddy.

They also make a fine Gin called "Djinne." Very botanical.

The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I'm gonna let you try out that young 23$ rum and report back.
HTownAg98
I had one of the rums several years ago, and I was not a fan. Maybe they're better now?
CharlieBrown17
AG
Overseas for work, grabbed a Havana Club Seleccion de Maestros and some Cuban smokes
Max Power
AG
I was in the airport in Mexico a couple of weeks ago and thought about buying some Havana Club. After standing there for a couple of minutes I just couldn't do it. I don't let politics dictate many things when it comes to consumer items but given what went down in Cuba during the revolution including the seizing of assets like rum distilleries from private ownership, I just didn't think it was worth it. There's plenty of good rum available in the US without the same history. Feel free to read up on what happened with Bacardi, who is still dealing with the aftermath and legal disputes with Cuba over something that was stolen from them.

I'm fully aware of the amount of Chinese made goods in my house, and like I said I don't generally let politics inform my purchases, but I'd prefer not kick back and relax with a glass of Cuban rum.

I told my wife about my dilemma when we were in the airport and she told me point blank if that rum made it into the house she'd pour it down the drain, glad I didn't waste the money.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Cool.

I'm going to drink the **** out of this rum. To each their own
jarz94
AG
I've had the dark - it was very heavy on the molasses.
MediAg13
AG
Decided to venture into rum for the first time. Picked out a few bottles that seemed highly regarded here.

Foursquare Detente is excellent. I enjoy this as much as any bourbon or scotch I've ever had.

Ron Zacapa 23 was also incredibly enjoyable. I plan on taking this with me to share with my family at the beach.

Papas Pilar was good but a little too sweet. My wife loved it though and it is the first time she's enjoyed anything on the rocks.

Kirk and Sweeney 18 was my biggest disappointment of the 4. For whatever reason I just didn't enjoy the flavor profile. I enjoyed the vanilla finish but I have tried two pours and just haven't been able to enjoy it yet.

Huge rum novice still but I'm excited to explore some others that y'all have mentioned.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Detente is a really solid foursquare to start with

Check out any of the 200x you see, great rum but not secondary finished like the detente you tried
Merph42
AG
Any experience with Gosling's Family Reserve Old Rum? I'm new to the rum game, so my only point of comparison would be Foursquare 2008, which I find absolutely delicious. Thoughts?
HTownAg98
Picked up a 2005 Foursquare today. That is some mighty fine rum. At 118 proof, some drops of water help smooth out the edges a bit.
CactusThomas
AG
Have there been any foursquare releases since redoubtable??
lazuras_dc
AG
A friend from Venezuela brought us some Pampero Anniversario and it was amazing. Turns out you can get it at TW for like $30. That might be my new go to
CharlieBrown17
AG
Shibboleth and 2009
CactusThomas
AG
Thanks. Haven't seen either at total wine.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
lazuras_dc said:

A friend from Venezuela brought us some Pampero Anniversario and it was amazing. Turns out you can get it at TW for like $30. That might be my new go to

Sipping rum, or mixing rum?
lazuras_dc
AG
They brought for mixing but it was good enough to sip
CactusThomas
AG
Any other Foursquare ECS to be looking for? Haven't seen any in my area in a long time. I think my last one was '09 or maybe redoubtable.

Been drinking a lot of RL Seale's and Diplomatico.
MediAg13
AG
CactusThomas said:

Any other Foursquare ECS to be looking for? Haven't seen any in my area in a long time. I think my last one was '09 or maybe redoubtable.

Been drinking a lot of RL Seale's and Diplomatico.

TW in DFW has had Indelible and Sovereignty. I've had indelible and it wasn't bad but I liked Detente better. The Sovereignty has been pricey at like $150 so I haven't picked it up.
jh0400
AG
Detente is probably the best one out of the finished series.
CactusThomas
AG
I forgot about Indelible. I had that one. Sovereignty sounds great, I just looked it up. Also looks like they have one called Isonomy out now too.

Hope to see Sovereignty in my area. Isonomy as well.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.