Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

High End Rums

66,780 Views | 368 Replies | Last: 25 days ago by HTownAg98
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are some of the better ones for sipping? I had one a few months ago at a reunion but no one can tell me what it was. Smooth, medium bodied, not that hot. What would you recommend in the $30-$40 range?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Ron Zacapa 23 year is about 38 bucks at total wine/specs. It's awesome in the rocks
DiskoTroop
Came here to post Zacapa 23 Solara. I see it didn't take long for it to come up.

Also try Zafra's if you want something else high end but he Zacapa 23 is the best stuff I've found. It's spectacular.
Sooner Born
Zaya Gran Reserva is another good one that fits your requirements.
HTownAg98
El Dorado 15.
txagdan
AG
My favorites in that price range:
1. Diplomatic Exclusiva Reserva (green label bottle, not the lesser orange bottle) .
2. Dos Maderas PX 5+5 incredible rum aged 5 yrs in Caribbean then 5 more in Pedro Jimenez Sherry casks .(great great rum)
3.el Dorado 15 (good standard to judge other rums by)
4. Rhum Barbancourt 15 yr estate reserve. (Great agricole style Rhum)

Rums I wouldn't buy again in that price range : flor de Cana, don Q, Appleton estate.

Rums I think are best left in store : anything Bacardi, kraken, sailor Jerry,

Rums remain a great buy as long as those southern gentleman keep hoarding bourbon and leave the rum to us pirates.

Good luck.
AlaskanAg99
AG
There seems to be a resurgence of Tiki Culture slowly building. I recently picked up Smuggler's Cove, a coffee table book on the history of Tiki Culture and rum drinks. I'm still working my way through the book and have picked up enough rums and orgeat, plus a house made simple sugar, to begin mixing my own Mai Tai's.

Thankfully right now aged rums haven't gone bonkers like bourbons. Which I also love.

But learning about the rums again. The only one I know to avoid is Barbancourt, that stuff is pure diesel.

Now is a good time to get into sipping rums, in hopes the craft cocktail revolution doesn't make them as unaffordable as bourbons.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I like Bambarra as well.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I got a couple bottles of the Zacapa XO for $71 dollars at the twin liquors dollar sale.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Zaya

Papas Pilar

Ron Zacapa 23

In that order for me and I drink a lot of sipping rum. It is cheaper than bourbon and better for a night cap.
BurnetAggie99
Some good ones under $40 bucks that I keep at the home bar are Cruzan Single Barrel, Don Pancho Origines Rum 8 Years, Ron Abuelo Anejo 7 Years, and Clement 'Premiere Canne' Rhum Blanc Agricole
CyAg
AG
Here's another nod to El Dorado 15 year Special Reserve. I also have a bottle of Pampero Aniversario Reserva Exclusive that I really enjoy
IJones23
Never tried it, but my buddy drinks Flor de cana 12 and he said it's the best rum he's ever had. He's a pirate in his spare time so he should know.
ElCheAg
AG
I haven't had many, but of the ones I've sipped, Brugal 1888 and Barcelo Imperial are the tasty ones I've had.
schmendeler
AG
Captain Morgan
tx4guns
AG
Havana Club 7. Drinking a bottle this weekend.
MAROON
AG
I like Flor de Cana 18 yr.
schmellba99
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Zaya

Papas Pilar

Ron Zacapa 23

In that order for me and I drink a lot of sipping rum. It is cheaper than bourbon and better for a night cap.
This is a good list. I'd add Flor de Cana to it as well, it's a good sipping rum IMO.
RGV AG
AG
The 12 or 18 year old FDC is just great rum, I prefer the 12 y/o of the 18 ironically enough. The 7 year old is my everyday drink. They just came out with a white 7 year old that I tried in mojitos and man was it a smooth dry rum. Very good.

Besides Flor and Zacapa, if you can find 12 year old Botran Anejo i highly recommend it as well.
txagdan
AG
Saw the Zaya gran Reserva and picked it up. Well try something new tonite

turfman80
AG
I picked up an El Dorado 15 and my brother got a Zapaca 23 , so it sounds like we will have a good start.
Agfencer98
AG
Old New Orleans Cajun spice is a great one as well.
Ag81Golf
Papas Pilar is my favorite.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Next weekend I'll be stocking the rum/tiki cocktail rums. Building a list for lots of good stuff. This thread is helping a ton, thanks guys.
txagdan
AG
This thread has made me read more about rum. Learned about Dunder and some simple home barrel kits.
jonj101
Nice to see a rum thread with some good suggestions.

Out of the gate Zacapa 23 is one of my favorites. The XO is better, and if you can score a bottle of the 15 (haven't seen it on sale here in the US, only on vacation overseas) it is pretty good as well.

Zaya used to be one of my favorites, however I think they recently change the formula and it is a huge step down. The new bottle I saw even went with a twist cap over a cork, and the rum itself is nowhere near as smooth or enjoyable as it was previously. I still have some of the older version that I'll nurse as long as I can.

Pyrat 1623 is a good premium rum. Its little brother Pyrat XO is not bad as a mixer - I personally don't like it straight up because it tends to have an orange flavor.

A surprisingly good line from right next door in Louisiana is Bayou Rum. Their Silver (white rum) is exceptionally good and makes great cocktails or even cuba libres.

I agree with a statement earlier about Bacardi in general, but they do have one rum known as Reserva Limitada that is pretty good. Its just not as common here in the states. The native Puerto Ricans I know don't typically drink Bacardi - they drink Don Q (Anejo or Grand Anejo), or Barrillito (which comes in the 2 star and 3 star version) and recently has come to our area. I saw a couple of bottles in Specs which let me know I no longer needed to nurse my bottles from PR.

A few outliers: the El Dorado line mentioned is pretty good, but I actually enjoy the 15 yr more than the 21 yr. Appleton from Jamaica is classic, but different versions are much better than others. Mt Gay 1703 from Barbados is pretty good as well.

I've been collecting rum for a while, and could add more if you want, but also a decent site to check out is this one:

https://www.rumratings.com/brands

EDIT: This is what I meant about Zaya. If you find the one on the left, definitely buy it. It the bottle looks like the one on the right, it is terrible imo:

http://imgur.com/K3SzKeU
AlaskanAg99
AG
I used to love Zaya pre-'08. But that was the peak of my bourbon hunting so I sort of forgot about it. Will have to look for older labels. Thanks for the heads up.
ghostofbucky
AG
I've been a rum guy for years, as I generally like something a little sweeter. Bourbons have gotten out of hand as well. I'll agree with everything on jonj's list. It's spot on. Except....I feel that El Dorado 21, if you can find it, is one of the most enjoyable pours in spirits. Just my personal opinion, but I'd take a bottle of it over any other rum on the market and most bourbons. To me...it's the pappy of the rum world.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Saw Zacapa XO on the shelf yesterday. Wasn't in the mood to buy.
Streetfighter 02
AG
Clement VSOP.
tamc91
AG
Specs has the 3 star Ron del Barrillito for $37-$38 cash. It is the first time I've seen 3 star there.

I used to work a lot in PR. The locals we worked with said the kept the 3-star Barrillito for themselves and sold the Bacardi in the States. They said it was the only leverage they had for Statehood.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Barrilito is awesome, need to get a bottle, we bought 6 when we were in 2012 and I am finally out. I started making infused liquor with the sous vide. I am going to do some 12 year Zacapa and cherries.
aggiebq03+
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva from Venezuela is my go to when it's on the shelf, saw it mentioned above.

Also really like Zafra 21. Do you know how much I'd have to pay for 21yo whiskey or whisky? More than $45...
schmellba99
AG
Picked up a Diplomatico Reserva (green bottle) over the weekend. Not a bad pour, different than most rums I've had to be honest - very earthy profile to it, but very good. Not nearly as sweet as some other rums I've had, so it was a great change of pace - great pour over an ice ball. Will definitely be keeping a bottle of it in my cabinet.
schmellba99
AG
Opened up an El Dorado 15 last night. Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed in it. Just seems to not have any real body to it - decent tobacco, but it falls off quick and really just has a real bland profile to me. The Diplomatico was significantly better. I had higher hopes for the El Dorado, will see if opening it up changes it any.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.