Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Autoimmune Protocol (AIP) Recipes

2,221 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zemira
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So after the holidays I am embarking on a food adventure (?) To try to tame my lupus.

My doctor has signed off as long as I get the required vitamins and minerals. Basically it is elimination diet based on Paleo for several months and then hopefully I can add back things and get close to a regular Paleo diet plus some things depending how my body reacts.

This is sort of extreme, but my body is trying to kill me daily it seems so I am willing to try just about anything at this point. I realize it may not work, but I figure I will at least loose some weight since I will not be eating any junk.

I have about 6 weeks or so as I slowly wean myself from grains and other things that might be causing me harm.

I have ordered all the cookbooks on the topic (3) and I'm still trying to come up with ideas to eat for the first few months of the elimination period.

So I'm looking for Paleo recipes (meat, poultry, seafood, vegetables, fruits) but we the caveat of NO

Grains
Gluten
Eggs
Night shades (tomatoes, eggplant, peppers)
Dairy
Legumes (including green beans and legumes with pods)
Processed foods
Added sugars
Non nutritional sweeteners
Seeds and nuts and seed/nut oils
Processed vegetable oils
Spices derived from seeds or nightshades
Alcohol
Coffee
Algae
Corn
White Potatoes

After the elimination period eggs, dairy, nightshades, seeds, legumes, nuts, coffee, potatoes, rice, gluten free grains will all be able to be added back. And I am hoping gluten too as I love bread.

I have a list of alternative "flours" for different breads, so we see how that goes.

Note: I will not be able to have chocolate for a while so any chocolate recipe substitutes are welcome.

Understand I'm not doing this lightly it is a huge change, but if it works I am all for it instead of how miserable I have felt the past few years.

So any recipe that meets the requirements is welcome.
Philip J Fry
AG
Don't have any advice, but we are embarking on this journey as well since my better half was diagnosed with MS a couple weeks ago. Going to a very low salt diet has been hard on both of us, but just seeing the effects of poor eating during one weekend was eye opening. Good luck and BTHO Lupus.
Philip J Fry
AG
Oops, wrong emoticon.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
there are a lot of vegan food blogs out there...

I would kind of suggest looking on those first...

It's going to suck...i'm sorry about your diagnosis...
lolo120
AG
I highly recommend the NomNompaleo website/cookbooks. Not all of the recipes are AIP but many are. After changing to a more paleo diet we feel so much better that we don't miss the foods we dreaded giving up. Food sensitivities have disappeared, we have more energy, and have lost weight. It's hard at first just learning how to shop/cook this way but it has worked well for us.
Zemira
AG
Thanks! I will check them out.

Finding Paleo recipes isn't bad, but finding AIP ones within Paleo is becoming a challenge. For now I am on the hunt!
BlueMiles
AG
Are any of the books written by Terry Wahls? If not, you might consider looking at her stuff, too.
MichaelJ
AG
My wife has ms and has gone through this process. She says the nomnompaleo blog is good.

Also recommended grazedandenthused.com
Average Joe
AG
I might be in the same boat, soon. Doc is pushing the same diet (or similar) for my Crohn's. I would rather suffer with the inflammation.
Zemira
AG
Average Joe said:

I might be in the same boat, soon. Doc is pushing the same diet (or similar) for my Crohn's. I would rather suffer with the inflammation.

After being diagnosed 8 years ago I have suffered through Lupus. The problem it the last 18 months have almost killed me and my spirit. Two hospital stays and three additional ER trips are just the start. Even on treatments and medication I'm miserable every day.

I just want to feel halfway normal so I'm going to give it a try. I might fail or it might not work, but I can't live like this anymore I have to try something.
Zemira
AG
Thanks!
Zemira
AG
Thanks! Am checking them out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.