Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite types Fish - and method of cooking

6,120 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by investorAg83
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My all time favorite fish is Red Mullet. A tiny fish about the size of chicken drumstick. Lightly fried whole in olive oil. An amazingly dense and tasty fish.

Second would be cod...English fish and chips style

Tied for third: sea bass-broiled, snapper-fried, bluegill - fried whole.

Least favorite:

Kingfish, big redfish, catfish fried in a flour batter (disgusting)
Max06
AG
Let me preface this by saying I spent my summers growing up on the southern shores of Nova Scotia and would go to the ocean to fish for whatever we would eat that night.

flounder - filets tossed in coarse cornmeal and pan fried
haddock - fish chowder, fish cakes, or pan fried
pollock & mackrel - clean but leave whole & pan fry
FtBendTxAg
AG
Flounder- cooked almost any way. Simply with a little butter or olive oil and garlic and lemon probably my favorite.

And the grocer by my house always has nice fresh cod and like to bake it with a little sriracha mayo and a little panko
Bruce Almighty
AG
Snapper for fish tacos
Cod for fried fish sandwiches (Kenji Lopez recipe)
Halibut (Thomas Keller's pan roasted recipe)

And catfish is a step above tilapia for worst tasting fish
DiskoTroop
Red snapper or catfish, blackened with lemon or a white wine cream sauce.

Trigger fish or black crappie fried

Amberjack (kanpachi), tuna belly (otoro) or salmon belly (saki toro) raw with a little wasabi and properly prepared sushi rice. Incredible.

And occasionally whatever the hell Long John Silver's fish is. Pollock maybe? Whatever it is, sometimes it's the only thing that will kill my craving for it!!
spud1910
AG
Crappie fried. King salmon grilled.
Joe Exotic
AG
Fried cobia or mangrove snapper
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I love Redfish filets, grilled scales down until the last minute, then flipped, seasoned with a mix of Tony's,Frank Davis browning mix, lemon, olive oil/butter
lotsofhp
AG
Fried halibut
FancyKetchup14
AG
lotsofhp said:

Fried halibut
This.

My family went to a dive in Seward, AK called Thorn's showcase lounge. I found religious when I ate the Fried Halibut bowl there.
Here4Beer
AG
Grilled Redfish or Flounder seasoned w/pepper, salt, garlic, butter and olive oil. Simple but great.

I had fried Grouper onetime w/a mango glaze sauce that was unreal. Would love to try that sometime.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Grilled Silver Salmon with fresh cracked pepper and lemon, preferably on the river where you wrestled it out.

Fried Halibut, can't argue there. It's such a neutral fish that how you prepare it is the showcase.

Grilled swordfish steaks, because it's one of the few fishes my wife enjoys.

Least: talipia. Garbage fish.
BurnetAggie99
Halibut - Grilled, Blackened, Pan Seared or Fried

Rainbow Trout - Grilled, Pan Seared or Baked

Perch - Fried or Pan Seared

Sea Bass - Grilled, Pan Seared or baked

Walleye - Grilled, Baked, Pan Seared or Fried

Mahi-Mahi - Grilled or Pan Seared

Cod - Fish and Chips, Grilled, Pan Seared

Catfish - Fried, Blackened, Grilled, Baked
biobioprof
Anyone else ever have sand dabs in San Francisco?
AustinCountyAg
Crappie

EOT
ElCheAg
AG
Snapper - grilled or fried

Cobia - fried

Cod - grilled or fried
Ogre09
AG
Local HEB had some turbot awhile back. Had never heard of it. Ended up coating the filets in bread crumbs and pan frying in butter/olive oil blend. It was awesome, very different. Light, flaky, sweet, and clean tasting, almost like crab but different texture.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Dover Sole - dusted with wondra flour and pan fried with toasted almonds and butter

Grilled snapper is always delicious

Fire Roasted Trout with lemon and parsley - doesn't get much better
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Wahoo and it isn't even close...
Potcake
AG
I do love fish & chips/ Baja style fried fish but wife pan fries snapper/halibut/mahi in panko which is amazing with some West Indian hot sauce.
supper
Quote: Back in December I wrote here about the widespread substitution of cheaper species of fish for more expensive and desirable ones, a daily bait and switch that routinely goes on at retail fish markets, in restaurants and especially in sushi places...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/02/21/fake-fish-on-shelves-and-restaurant-tables-across-usa-new-study-says/

Quote: "Only 7 of 120 red snapper samples (6%!) collected nationwide were actually red snapper."
RGV AG
AG
supper said:

Quote: Back in December I wrote here about the widespread substitution of cheaper species of fish for more expensive and desirable ones, a daily bait and switch that routinely goes on at retail fish markets, in restaurants and especially in sushi places...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/02/21/fake-fish-on-shelves-and-restaurant-tables-across-usa-new-study-says/

Quote: "Only 7 of 120 red snapper samples (6%!) collected nationwide were actually red snapper."

Yep, happens a hell of a lot. Snapper and Grouper are rarely what they truly are. I am partial to Wahoo, Ling (Cobia) my favorite, and Flounder. Snapper, Grouper, and Hog Fish are influenced by what all they have been eating. All reef fish are to a degree, but the more pelagic ones tend to be very consistent.

Some very good eating fish that is often ignored are Tile Fish (often substituted for a variety of things), Triple Tail, and your lesser snappers like Bee Liners and Mangroves. Lion Fish is actually pretty good too.
Tanya 93
They are serving Asian carp in some of the college dining halls in Missouri, to try to decrease their numbers in the rivers.
Stive
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Snapper for fish tacos

THIS

I've never understood the tastebuds that some people have for catfish. It's bleh (and I love eating all kinds of fish)
Cancelled
AG
I agree on the farm raised crap...just like Atlantic salmon. River catfish and wild catfish are delicious when fried right. I'll never eat tilapia again.
htxag09
AG
Grilled redfish and snapper

Speckled trout in a spicy ceviche
RGV AG
AG
I have eaten wild caught and wild living Tilapia and it is OK, not much more than OK, but for sure edible. The stuf from the stores is crappy, I won't eat it nor will I order it in a restaurant. I can usually recognize it and have sent a couple of fish orders back throughout the years.

What is funny to me is all the love for Redfish on here, I have never been fond of Redfish. I find that Black Drum, the ones between 1.5-4 pounds, taste much better to me than any of the Redfish I have had for some reason although they are supposedly about the same kind of fish.

I also like most of the true Bass I have ever had; small mouth, black, and rainbow, they were/are all good as well.
Cancelled
AG
The best thing about reds is catching them.

Bass are good when smaller.
MarylandAG
I tried this over the summer

http://www.charbroil.com/community/planked-halibut-with-citrus-herb-sauce/

I found it to be excellent. Fish was halibut, methods was cedar plank cooked in a Weber Q.

I like orange roughy as well, to me it is a very mild tasting fish, that is my preference.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Walleye! EOT!!
tlepoC
AG
Lately I've been a huge fan of salmon seared in hot cast iron with the skin on leaving the meat almost rare. Amazingly crispy skin that is almost the best part. This coming from a guy that previously couldn't stand salmon.
Potcake
AG
brs4688 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Walleye! EOT!!

Hopefully not from Lake Meredith.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Potcake said:

brs4688 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Walleye! EOT!!

Hopefully not from Lake Meredith.

No sir. Have a little fishing hole somewhere in the upper Midwest. Cannot beat fish from the glacial lakes.
biobioprof
MarylandAG said:

I tried this over the summer

http://www.charbroil.com/community/planked-halibut-with-citrus-herb-sauce/

I found it to be excellent. Fish was halibut, methods was cedar plank cooked in a Weber Q.

I like orange roughy as well, to me it is a very mild tasting fish, that is my preference.
If you care about such things, orange roughy is considered to be one of the worst in terms of sustainability and is pretty much the poster child for how to not choose a fish to eat. They've been overfished to the point of being endangered. They take a long time to grow; there are estimates that some of the catch is close to 150 years old! Those estimates are disputed by commercial fishing organizations, but even if they are off by a factor of 2-10, that's a long time for a stock to recover.

If you don't care about the hippie/liberal/enviro complaints, you might want to consider that orange roughy is also one of the species that tends to be high in mercury, due to the long lifespan.
eric76
AG
Stive said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Snapper for fish tacos

THIS

I've never understood the tastebuds that some people have for catfish. It's bleh (and I love eating all kinds of fish)

I ordered Tilapia about 25 years ago at a restaurant in the Clear Lake area. It was truly pathetic. One bite and I was done.

I haven't eaten Tilapia since.

On the other hand, I've eaten plenty of catfish that I liked and a fair amount that was terrible. I gave up trying to buy edible catfish in grocery stores years ago.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.