Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Anybody got a good salsa recipe?

3,332 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tailgate88
Schrute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Need to make some to enter an office contest. TIA!
ChipFTAC01
AG
Everybody loves my salsa and requests it all the time. It's nice and fresh hut nothing fancy. I Cribbed it from a recipe in the newspaper years ago.

- Dice 3-5 jalapenos and 2-3 Serranos and chop in food processor.
- dice a white onion and chop in food processor. I've started sometimes not using a whole onion or using a smaller one but that's up to you. Add a clove or two of garlic as well
- handful of cilantro, destemmed of course, add to food processor.
- a can of whole peeled tomatoes. I've started draining the juice into a glass and just adding the toms at first and then going back and adding some or all of the juice later. I thought for a while I was making it too thin
- generous amount of Tony chacheres, Sep and the juices from 2 or so limes and one final pulse or two.

Like I said, nothing fancy but everyone loves it.

Max Power
AG
Mine is similar to the previous one but I use chili powder instead of Tony's, I also use a half an onion but add more garlic. Recently started using the fire roasted tomatoes to switch it up with good results. Make a few small batches and see what you like.
coppag92
AG
I think the fire roasted tomatoes would kick it up a notch and will have to try that next time. I would add that, if using canned tomatoes, use something like Muir Glen or another organic type tomato. Just gives it that fresher taste.
Tomatoes
Serranos
Lemon juice
Salt

Blend ingredients until desired consistency

2/3 - 1/3 is a good tomato - Serrano mix for basic hot salsa
Schrute
Awesome! Thanks everyone for taking time to help. Gig'em!
Bruce Almighty
AG
My favorite salsa is an avocado roasted tomatillo salsa. Everyone that has it, says its the best salsa they've had.

Turn on broiler with rack 4 inches below.
Peel and split one white onion
slice down the middle 2 Serrano chiles
husk and split 3/4 pound tomatillos
roast in oven until charred for about 10 minutes.
Transfer into a blender with 4 cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup cilantro.
Heat up 1 tbsp. veg oil in skillet over high heat and then add puree and stir until thick for a couple minutes.
Let cool and put back in blender, add about 1/2 tsp salt, juice from one lime and 1 avocado and puree until smooth.
Max Power
AG
In the event you are an unfortunate soul like myself and you live outside of Texas you can blow the minds of people who've never had Ninfa's green sauce.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/salsa-salvation-ninfas-green-sauce.html
BigNastyNate
AG
I'll play:

Heat some oil in a skillet and roast 2 tomatillos, 2 vine ripe tomatoes, 2 serranos, 2 jalapeos, 1/8 onion. Roast until tomatoes start to get soft and peppers start to char.

Toss into a blender with 1/8 raw onion, some fresh cilantro, a squeeze of lime, salt and then 1-2 fresh avocados depending on consistency you want.

Add a dash of cumin for the added touch. The pansies may think it's a good idea to seed a pepper or two, I prefer the heat.

Normal chips are fine, lime chips are awesome.

Everyone loves this dip.
HECUBUS
AG
Haven't tried them yet, but a guy at work talks about this place all the time.

http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/
JRizzle
AG
I basically do about 5 tomatoes that I sear in hot skillet. I char a couple of poblanos and jalepenos over burner or on grill along with whole sliced onion. I add all of that to food processor with some garlic, garlic salt, black pepper, bit of cumin, and a touch of sugar. Turns out really good. Everybody swears it's the best salsa they've had. It's warm for a while which is good but great chilled also. If it needs more heat I'll throw in some pepper flakes but usually that's pretty good.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Plum Tomatoes
Tomatillos
White or yellow onion
Cilantro
Jalepenos and/or seranos
Garlic
Cumin
Corriander
Salt and Pepper
Lime juice

Combine all to taste and blend (i use a food pro or ninja blender) I eyeball all the amounts but i use roughly half the amount of tomatillos to tomatoes when making my red salsa (the tomatillos add a limey flavor while also helping thicken the salsa so it doesnt become soup-y)

I have also omitted the tomatoes complete and just used tomatillos and then roasted everything under the broiler until good and charred (be sure to sue the liquid after roasting to help blend)
Tailgate88
AG
Max Power said:

In the event you are an unfortunate soul like myself and you live outside of Texas you can blow the minds of people who've never had Ninfa's green sauce.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2007/01/salsa-salvation-ninfas-green-sauce.html

I am going to go ahead and post the recipe from that article just in case that site goes away. I don't have enough avocados to make it today, but soon...

Ninfa's Green Sauce

Ingredients:
3 medium-sized green tomatoes, coarsely chopped (you can substitute yellow if you can't find green ones, but never use red)
4 tomatillos, cleaned and chopped
1 to 2 jalapenos, stemmed and coarsely chopped
3 small garlic cloves
3 medium-sized ripe avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
4 sprigs cilantro
1 tsp. of salt
1 1/2 cups of sour cream

Method:
Combine chopped tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil (tomatoes provide the liquid), reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Place tomato mixture with the avocados, cilantro and salt in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into a bowl and stir in sour cream.

Makes 4 to 5 cups

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.