Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Brahman Hump

13,522 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by college of AG
cbest20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to smoke some some Brahman hump for the Tennessee tailgate. Does anyone know where to find some around BCS? We would be willing to ship but preferably somewhere around Aggieland

TIA
Na Zdraví 87
agcrock2005
momlaw
AG
World Brahman Congress to savour slow-cooked hump in Rockhampton
Duncan Idaho
momlaw said:

World Brahman Congress to savour slow-cooked hump in Rockhampton

Mr Noakes uses a Texan-style low and slow wood-fired barbecue to bring the best out of the hump, cooking it at about 130 degrees for 10 hours.

Is this Celsius or can I just leave it in the car for 10 hours?
Duncan Idaho
But seriously never heard of it but it look good
wadd96
AG
Its Aussie so has to be Celsius.
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
tsuag10
AG
You would almost have to special order a case of it from the packer. I've cooked it before just like a brisket. A little bit more rubbery, but a buttery flavor from the fat and collagen.

Try contacting Ruffino Meats Wholesale in Bryan. If they don't have it, they could order it for you, but you won't have it for this weekend.
AgsMnn
AG
Cook it like a Brazilian steak house.

High heat with just sea salt. Shave off what is cooked and salt and cook more.
RK
AG
i'll see if my hump guy has any. I typically just use him for camel.
agcrock2005
AG
AgsMnn said:

Looks to me like this is a low and slow type of meat...that's a lot of freakin fat to render down.
AgsMnn
AG
agcrock2005 said:

AgsMnn said:

Looks to me like this is a low and slow type of meat...that's a lot of freakin fat to render down.

We had a Brazilian grad student cook some for us in the BBQ class at A&M that I TA'd. It was fantastic. He always cut it thin. Granted, these humps came off young bulls during a research project.
harrierdoc
AG
I have a contact that can get some, but in Corpus Christi. Gotta buy 4 or so at a time. If anyone interested, I'd be willing to split, but I live in CS, so if someone could pick up in CC and bring to CS for a game weekend, that would be cool.
OldArmyAggie94
AG
Looks like one piece of fat....
Two Down
AG
I am in Houston but definitely interested. Would buy 2 at least.
Two Down
AG
Bumping an old thread here. I have looked high and low trying to source this. If you still have a contact for it, might you be able to pass it on?
harrierdoc
AG
Don't know if that would be "kosher", as it was kind of on the down low... apparently only for export???

I'll check.
Two Down
AG
That would certainly explain the difficulty in sourcing. Appreciate the help regardless.
HTownAg98
AgsMnn said:

agcrock2005 said:

AgsMnn said:

We had a Brazilian grad student cook some for us in the BBQ class at A&M that I TA'd. It was fantastic. He always cut it thin. Granted, these humps came off young bulls during a research project.

I can see how that would work. It looks to have a similar texture as beef short ribs. With short ribs, you either have to braise/BBQ them low and slow, or slice them thin and sear them on the surface of the sun.
Two Down
AG
Just wanted to bump this in the event you had heard something. Again, appreciate the help.
harrierdoc
AG
OK, some available, but has to be picked up in Corpus. You around that area?
also, $3.05/ pound, and a box is about 50 lbs or so. You can't be picky, have to get the wt that is in the box.
NColoradoAG
harrierdoc said:

I have a contact that can get some, but in Corpus Christi. Gotta buy 4 or so at a time. If anyone interested, I'd be willing to split, but I live in CS, so if someone could pick up in CC and bring to CS for a game weekend, that would be cool.

harrierdoc said:

OK, some available, but has to be picked up in Corpus. You around that area?
also, $3.05/ pound, and a box is about 50 lbs or so. You can't be picky, have to get the wt that is in the box.

Obviously Two Down has dibs, but if any of this makes it up to Houston or CS I'd love to help split the cost if needed.
Two Down
AG
As it turns out I have a good buddy now in CC right now. Will email you, hope that is alright.
tsuag10
AG
Successful TexAgs hump hookup... Good bull
notheranymore
Rule #1
Two Down
AG
Unfortunately unable to hook up with HarrierDoc (especially given the recent weather issues), but finally managed to track some down. Thawing two out now for use this weekend. Will report back.

notheranymore
Annnnnnd???
Two Down
AG
Ended up being very solid. Was feeding a group of 30-35 and had a pretty big spread and this was the biggest hit. A whole lot of compliments. Pleased with results but I think there's still some room for improvement.
JYDog90
AG
Wish you'd shown a picture of them done.

Oh, and what's this stuff cost a pound?
Formerly Willy Wonka
NColoradoAG

Two humps in the egg.
Duncan Idaho
You could get me love drunk off those humps.
plowboy1065
S
Would really like to see the finished product and know what you did
tamutaylor12
Agree on seeing the finished product and hearing a review.
NColoradoAG
Cooked at 230 on an XL egg with a guru. Put them on at 730 before we left to tailgate. Pulled them at 4 when we got back and were an internal of 190 but probed very tender.

The one pictured was pretty good. Very fatty and rich. The other was inedible. Almost all fat and just not enjoyable.

The cut was kind of like a tri tip and brisket in one. I dont think theres a ton of connective tissue in the cut like a brisket. Just a lot of fat with some stringy muscle in between. Interesting cut to bbq once but I wont be seeking it out again. Thank to Joe for sourcing these. Ill get your beer out soon buddy.

tsuag10
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Cooked at 230 on an XL egg with a guru. Put them on at 730 before we left to tailgate. Pulled them at 4 when we got back and were an internal of 190 but probed very tender.

The one pictured was pretty good. Very fatty and rich. The other was inedible. Almost all fat and just not enjoyable.

The cut was kind of like a tri tip and brisket in one. I dont think theres a ton of connective tissue in the cut like a brisket. Just a lot of fat with some stringy muscle in between. Interesting cut to bbq once but I wont be seeking it out again. Thank to Joe for sourcing these. Ill get your beer out soon buddy.
Thanks for the report. I've described it as something similar to the point half of a brisket, but with even more collagen... and the fat and collagen are pretty consistent throughout the whole thing. I've only done a few of them, but anything lower than 200 internal is pretty chewy. And you're right, very fatty and rich; you can't really eat a lot of it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.