Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

The "Meater" wireless meat thermometer

11,220 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sazerac
RDV-1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Has anyone tried this? If so, can you give me your opinion on it?

Here is a link to their website: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/

agcrock2005
AG
quote:

Here is a link to their website: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/meater-the-only-wire-free-smart-meat-thermometer#/

There's another thread on this. Several of us ordered them, were supposed to receive them long ago, and are still waiting to get them.

EDIT: Here's thread
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

There's another thread on this. Several of us ordered them, were supposed to receive them long ago, and are still waiting to get them.

EDIT: Here's thread
You must be new to crowdfunding
RDV-1992
Thanks agcrock2005.
Sazerac
AG
I'll let you know how it is next year.
plowboy1065
S
Yeah I'm very doubtful of the July delivery date. It's been pushed back so many times I don't know why I get a little excite when a new update email comes out
plowboy1065
S
Latest email has pushed back again and more likely August, so they say
agcrock2005
AG
quote:
Latest email has pushed back again and more likely August, so they say
I went ahead and bought a redi-check brand wireless thermometer to hold me until the Meater gets done...if that ever happens. I've used it twice and it works well. I'm a little worried the ambient thermometer might be off slightly, but I'm going to test it tonight with an oven thermometer. I like the functionality a lot though.
Dr.Rumack
Got mine today!

Will update later, off to buy premium brisket.
agcrock2005
AG
Dr.Rumack said:

Will update later, off to buy premium brisket.
Sazerac
AG
Block still hasn't shipped but they sent an email for a discount and immediate shipment for the regular meater so I pulled the trigger. Going to give as a gift. But may try it out first....
Random Ag
AG
I would not buy it...it's significantly off from my thermoworks. It's a cool idea and pretty but I'm disappointed with the function
agcrock2005
AG
Random Ag said:

I would not buy it...it's significantly off from my thermoworks. It's a cool idea and pretty but I'm disappointed with the function
Same for me. It's cool but just doesn't work near as well as the other comparable products...well the igrill 2. There really isn't a comparable product. In 5 years when they get all the kinks worked out and it works through 1/4" steel from further away than 5 feet it might be pretty cool.
Leeman
A friend (fellow Ag) and I have been working on a Wifi/internet thermometer device for some time. We are about ready to look for others (beta testers) to try it out and give us feedback.

The unit has a lithium battery, ports for 4 probes, a two line LCD display and uses Wifi (much longer range than bluetooth) to connect to the internet (obviously your home router). We have android and iOS apps in addition to a web interface. You can be at the store or at a friends house and monitor your smoker !

Alarms (notifications) can be setup for max and/or minimum temperature for each probe. For example, you can setup one probe to monitor your brisket temperature (with target temperature) and another to monitor your smoker temperature (with min and max temps).

Sessions are recorded in a database in the cloud which can be observed real time (graphs) or at a later date (for comparisons, etc).
1208HawkTree
AG
I'd be interested in this for two reasons: the wifi connectivity and four probes. I have two different Mavericks, one with the base and wireless receiver and another that is the Bluetooth model. They both work really well for measuring temperature accurately, but they each have their own flaw(s).

Base+receiver model only has two probes, but I can walk 4-5 houses down and still get a signal to the receiver.

Bluetooth model has option to use four probes, but my smoker is not close enough to my bedroom for the signal to reliably reach my phone for overnight cooks.
Aggiejue
AG
Leeman said:

A friend (fellow Ag) and I have been working on a Wifi/internet thermometer device for some time. We are about ready to look for others (beta testers) to try it out and give us feedback.

The unit has a lithium battery, ports for 4 probes, a two line LCD display and uses Wifi (much longer range than bluetooth) to connect to the internet (obviously your home router). We have android and iOS apps in addition to a web interface. You can be at the store or at a friends house and monitor your smoker !

Alarms (notifications) can be setup for max and/or minimum temperature for each probe. For example, you can setup one probe to monitor your brisket temperature (with target temperature) and another to monitor your smoker temperature (with min and max temps).

Sessions are recorded in a database in the cloud which can be observed real time (graphs) or at a later date (for comparisons, etc).
I would be interested in beta testing. I currently use the Thermoworks Smoke, Bluetooth functionality only, for all my cooks. I plan to add the wifi gateway eventually, but it's still limited to dual probes. Great product nonetheless.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I'd be interested in testing, I have an igrill2 and a cyberQ
agcrock2005
AG
How do you like he cyber q compared to igrill2? I really like my igrill2 and don't know what it would take for me to like something better. Have 1/4" steel pit and I can be pretty far away and still connect to my phone. I guess I'd like for it to connect to my network so I could leave my house but that's it.
agcrock2005
AG
If you're looking for testers, I'm game. BBQ quite a bit some I can get you some data points!
Leeman
agcrock2005 said:

How do you like he cyber q compared to igrill2? I really like my igrill2 and don't know what it would take for me to like something better. Have 1/4" steel pit and I can't be pretty far away and still connect to my phone. I guess I'd like for it to connect to my network so I could leave my house but that's it.
My experience with bluetooth probes had been poor. The iGrill I have would barely get through an exterior wall into the house.
Ag_07
AG
I use a Maverick ET-733 and it's never failed me.

It fires up every time I use it, is accurate for hours, and the wireless transmitter works all over the house. Lots of times I've put it in my pocket and mowed the yard and never lose signal. I can go in and out of the house and never lose signal. Hell I've finished cooking and forgot about outside for a couple days and walk out and it's still going strong.

Highly recommend

AggieChemist
AG
Leeman said:

I'd be down to beta test. I live in the mountains of WV and winter is coming. I often have overnight cooks in cool/cold weather, if you want to do some robustness testing in cold weather.
agfan2013
AG
Leeman said:

another +1 if yall need any more testers. I BBQ quite a bit and can compare side by side with an igrill that is my usual wireless thermometer to monitor cooks. Currently live in the country with a bigger back yard so I can really test the range of the unit as well.
Leeman
Any of you guys in the Cedar Park/Round Rock/Austin area ?

We are ironing out "Over the Air" updates for the unit. When that is working reliably, then we will be ready to get a few beta testers.
agdad01
I am in Bryan and would be willing to beta test, use a grill dome with igrill right now and the bluetooth is weak have a WAP about 15 feet from gill so would have a great connection.
agcrock2005
AG
Leeman said:

agcrock2005 said:

How do you like he cyber q compared to igrill2? I really like my igrill2 and don't know what it would take for me to like something better. Have 1/4" steel pit and I can't be pretty far away and still connect to my phone. I guess I'd like for it to connect to my network so I could leave my house but that's it.
My experience with bluetooth probes had been poor. The iGrill I have would barely get through an exterior wall into the house.
Sorry. Meant to say i "can" be pretty far away. I've had great luck with mine.

PS: I'm in DFW but I travel to Round Rock regularly.
Aggiejue
AG
Leeman said:

Any of you guys in the Cedar Park/Round Rock/Austin area ?

We are ironing out "Over the Air" updates for the unit. When that is working reliably, then we will be ready to get a few beta testers.
I am down the "road" in San Antonio and would be willing to handle shipping if needed. Sign me up for testing alongside the Thermoworks Smoke. Email in profile.
FTAG 2000
AG
Leeman said:

I'd be interested as well.

Run two, sometimes three cookers. Currently using a pair of Flameboss 200s and an iGrill2 setup.

What you describe hits on a lot of my frustration with current cooking tech, sign me up!

(North Dallas area - Frisco)
The Catfish
AG
Count me in if you need testers. I'm fed up waiting for the meater block, would gladly move on to a new product.
'03ag
Leeman said:

I would be so in. I'm in DFW.
HTownAg98
I'm interested, but what differentiates your product from a Thermoworks Smoke with a Wi-Fi gateway?
Leeman
Never seen one of those.

From what I can tell, 4 (or more if we decide to build more) probes, graphing (real time as well as keeping all of your cooks in the cloud for later review)., and will cost a lot less than what they charge.
khkman22
AG
Leeman said:

I'd definitely be in for testing. Been putting off buying the Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway now that that has been released, or deciding if I wanted to step up to a Flame Boss 300 for my Akorn.
Philip J Fry
AG
Leeman said:

I'm in.

maroonentertainment@gmail.com
aggiespartan
AG
blocks are supposedly shipping now in small batches.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.