Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Japanese Whiskey

5,367 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by aggiesherpa
Spore Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Presently the top 3 posts are dealing with some form of alcohol I might as well add another. I have tried some and find them somewhat appealing. Just confused with the varieties.
FlyFish95
I've got a Hibiki Harmony that's pretty good.
Cancelled
AG
I don't know about Japanese, but the liquor store was pushing some Indian stuff a few months ago. They couldn't cal it scotch, but it was essentially scotch.
Furlock Bones
AG
Spore Ag
I did drink some indian gin once. If I remember it seemed to give one a moment of transitory blindness.
MAROON
AG
Yamazaki is very good, and hard as heck to find these days. Japanese whiskeys are apparently all the rage right now.
DRE06
AG
Interesting. Was at my spec the other day and some lady asked the isle guy for a specific Japanese whisky.....he essentially said good luck.

Had never even heard of Japanese whisky
slappy
AG
Kavalan from Taiwan is reported to be a real winner.
Diggity
AG
I don't think they're exporting many of them right now so it's a hot commodity.

I was at a Japanese restaurant in Midtown and their Japanese stuff started at around 40 a pour. No thanks.
jh0400
AG
A coworker brought a bottle of Hibiki & Yamazaki in for a few of us to try a while back, and I thought it was good but not worth the hassle of tracking it down.
Leeman
quote:
A coworker brought a bottle of Hibiki Yamazaki in for a few of us to try a while back, and I thought it was good but not worth the hassle of tracking it down.
I picked up a bottle earlier this week at Spec's on Brodie in Austin. They received a shipment of a couple of Japanese Whiskys. They are limiting one bottle per purchase.
FlyFish95
Aren't Hibiki and Yamakazi two different bottles?
Diggity
AG
a rare bottle indeed. They call it "Seppuku"
jh0400
AG
My phone skipped the ampersand. My bad.
Vade281
AG
I went to Japan earlier this year and picked up a bottle of Hakushu. It's great. Hibiki and Yamakazi are amazing as well.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I hear they make the whisky from grain grown from the feces of Waygu cattle.
schmendeler
AG
so is this the new thing people will be creaming themselves over instead of pappy van winkle?
HTownAg98
One can only hope.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Japanese love bourbon and there are quite a few bourbon export only labels. Made here, cannot buy here.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
Japanese love bourbon and there are quite a few bourbon export only labels. Made here, cannot buy here.

The ones for the asian markets are often the same bourbon we get here, bottled at a lower proof, and sold as super premium product in fancy packaging.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Some, but not all.
Jack Thauer
AG
Hibiki Harmony is good stuff
SpiderDude
AG
Looking forward to trying this one. Heard good things. A buddy scored a couple and I claimed one!
SJEAg
AG
My boss just gifted me this bottle - anyone had or heard of it? Have never tried Japanese whisky before.

GAC06
AG
I haven't had that specific one but I liked the Nikka before they rebranded it. Comparable to highland/speyside scotch
aggiesherpa
AG
SpiderDude said:

Looking forward to trying this one. Heard good things. A buddy scored a couple and I claimed one!

I scored a bottle of this in a Goody Goody drawing this last year, it is super interesting. My first experience with Japanese whisky. I still can't get over how much the nose smells of apple.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.