Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Home Delivery Meal Service

9,440 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by DRE06
713nervy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good news everybody! I'm not ******ed!
K2T2
quote:
Do any of these deliver in the B/CS area?
HelloFresh does! I ordered a set of meals (3 veggie meals for 2 people, $24 total with some killer promo code Honey for Chrome found for me) for this coming week!
Teslag
AG
We are still using Blue Apron and really enjoying the service.

If anyone wants to give it a shot, let me know. I have two free weeks of meals to gift.
Eliminatus
AG
Id be more than willing to give it a shot if you are willing. I just cant seem to make that first leap. I think I would like this service alot but have been on the fence. Keep talking myself out of it. Mostly because I really don't know first hand how it would be for me.
Teslag
AG
Just need an email and a name and I'll set you up!
Theblondewonder
AG
I'm getting my first Blue Apron delivery this Friday - 3 meals, completely free from my boss.

If you're looking for already prepared meals, Freshly is amazing. They are GF, low carb meals you heat for 2 minutes. They are shockingly good.
62strat
AG
What kind of premium do pay for this kind of thing? I just can't believe someone made a company out of this kind of business model. Ship someone food, and charge them over and above the food cost for it.

I am by no means a good cook, just decent, but even with 2 kids under 2 at home, I still have time to make dinner. The secret is to cook in bulk on Sunday. By bulk, I mean, I'll cook a whole bag of chicken, then every night, just have different sides.. a rice, a pasta, veggie, etc. Or cook large crock pot or pot of spaghetti. We're not above the family size frozen stouffers either.

Whatever I do on sunday will usually last 3-4 nights. Then we have a 'whatever' night.. cereal, frozen dinner, can of soup, sandwich... then maybe go out another night. weekends we'll grill or pick up something, Weekly I get buy one get one free coupons to somewhere like qdoba or pizza or mexican.

Teslag
AG
The cost is $59.94 weekly for either two meals for four people or three meals for two people. Portions are rather large.

It's definitely a luxury grocery/meal plan but worth it for us. We are both in grad school and both work full time and have two kids (3.5 year old and a 1 year old). Meal planning and grocery shopping are a hassle. This gives us three easily prepped and delicious meals each week with perfect portions (nothing goes to waste) and easy cleanup.
62strat
AG
So $20 for a couple per dinner. Not crazy expensive, but not cheap either. Almost as much as going out to sit down (that averages maybe $25, excluding sodas/alcohol), and about the same as getting something to go (like panera or chipotle, chinese ,etc)

So, based on what kind of food you're getting, how much do you think you're paying for the convenience? In other words, how much would those ingredients cost you for that $20 meal?

I'm guessing about half, and the remaining half is probably equal shipping/profit. So they are making 25% gross margin, and the consumer is paying 200% for the convenience.

You aren't like getting ribeye steaks in this deal are you? just poultry meat or ground beef?
Joe Exotic
AG
quote:
What kind of premium do pay for this kind of thing? I just can't believe someone made a company out of this kind of business model. Ship someone food, and charge them over and above the food cost for it.

I am by no means a good cook, just decent, but even with 2 kids under 2 at home, I still have time to make dinner. The secret is to cook in bulk on Sunday. By bulk, I mean, I'll cook a whole bag of chicken, then every night, just have different sides.. a rice, a pasta, veggie, etc. Or cook large crock pot or pot of spaghetti. We're not above the family size frozen stouffers either.

Whatever I do on sunday will usually last 3-4 nights. Then we have a 'whatever' night.. cereal, frozen dinner, can of soup, sandwich... then maybe go out another night. weekends we'll grill or pick up something, Weekly I get buy one get one free coupons to somewhere like qdoba or pizza or mexican.

I think some of the benefit is that it forces you to step out of comfort zones and try/cook things you wouldn't normally do. In addition it probably teaches a few new techniques and things like that. Basically, if they send you a $60 box of food you're going to cook it and try it.
Teslag
AG
This week the proteins included were cod filets, skin on chicken breasts, and top sirloin steaks.
Matsui
AG
You don't do this to save money. You do it to save time. Figure that value difference.
Tanya 93
quote:
So $20 for a couple per dinner. Not crazy expensive, but not cheap either. Almost as much as going out to sit down (that averages maybe $25, excluding sodas/alcohol), and about the same as getting something to go (like panera or chipotle, chinese ,etc)

So, based on what kind of food you're getting, how much do you think you're paying for the convenience? In other words, how much would those ingredients cost you for that $20 meal?

I'm guessing about half, and the remaining half is probably equal shipping/profit. So they are making 25% gross margin, and the consumer is paying 200% for the convenience.

You aren't like getting ribeye steaks in this deal are you? just poultry meat or ground beef?
Is it your money?

There is something to be said of the convenience of not having to shop for all the ingredients. Hell, I think they send you 3 tablespoons of oil or a teaspoon of cinnamon if that is was the recipe calls for.

Don't spend your money on it if you think it is too much. But it is a useful thing for many busy people.
Joe Exotic
AG
Plus you try new things and get new ideas. I've never ate kale before. Since I've been using the service I've made 3 or 4 items with kale. Some in salads and some cooked in different ways. All awesome. Now I'm looking to make kale on nights I'm not using the service. Same with many of the other things they send.
Tanya 93
quote:
Plus you try new things and get new ideas. I've never ate kale before. Since I've been using the service I've made 3 or 4 items with kale. Some in salads and some cooked in different ways. All awesome. Now I'm looking to make kale on nights I'm not using the service. Same with many of the other things they send.

My son inhales kale chips.

You can also make a pesto with it.
62strat
AG
quote:
You don't do this to save money. You do it to save time. Figure that value difference.
Are you saving much time really though? You still have to cook it, right? (I assume there are probably versions of this that do send cooked/prepared meals to microwave, but the ones in this thread are raw ingredients right?)

So I'm not sure about the time saved factor.. You aren't getting your whole pantry and fridge filled, so you still have to go to the store, so maybe this shaves a few minutes off of your grocery run? The couple of minutes it takes to pick up meat/starch/veggies. It only takes once to make a list with 12-15 meals, removing the 'meal planning' aspect.

Grocery stores have delivery (walmart, safeway and kroger), and it's $5 or $10 I think, for a week's worth of groceries.. I would think that would be a much bigger time saver.

I do like that it gives you ideas that you wouldn't think of if you're not much of a cook.. so I could see doing it for a month, taking notes, then canceling and continuing on your own.

But honestly, with the 'tasty' videos that show up multiple times a day on facebook, there is no shortage of ideas at no cost.
Joe Exotic
AG
A lot of the items I get in he boxes aren't available at Walmart or in good quality, especially with some of the more ethnically inspired dishes. You might find them at an HEB or Kroger but even then. You could probably source it from a central market or Asian grocer but again now I'm going out of my way. If this service sent me a box of instant mashed potatoes and some frozen Tyson nuggets I would definitely see it as pointless.
Tanya 93
Then don't do it.

Apparently lots of people like their convenience.

You like convenience too. You don't cut down whole chicken, which would be much cheaper than cooking up a bag of frozen chicken. I bet you buy bags of salad instead making it yourself. You buy and cook frozen meals for your family.

This isn't your thing. It is fine. But for many people, it is a useful thing for getting a meal on their table in 30 minutes.
Teslag
AG
Next week's menu:

Teslag
AG

This is what is included in the box for that particular recipe:

These aren't 4 ingredient meals. They are gourmet and healthy. Perfectly portioned so nothing goes to waste. I can promise you couldn't buy the items above at a grocery store for under $20, which is what we are paying per meal.
62strat
AG
quote:

These aren't 4 ingredient meals. They are gourmet and healthy. Perfectly portioned so nothing goes to waste. I can promise you couldn't buy the items above at a grocery store for under $20, which is what we are paying per meal.
I'm pretty sure those quantities of those ingredients would be less than $20. After all, this company is making money off you right?

If you had none of it, then sure, it would be more than $20 to buy it all in the package it comes in, but you would have more quantity of many of the items, like the fish, flour, mayo, cilantro. But the unit food cost is less than $20, it's probably around $10-$12.

$1.6 per fish
$1 for 6 tortillas
$1.5 for radishes
$1 for avocado
$.50 for lime
$1 for cabbage
$1.5 for cilantro
$.40 for pepper
$.15 for mayo
$.15 for rice flour
Some of those are a guess, I don't buy them often.

That's $10.40, add 20% for error and tax, puts you at $12.48. Their cost I assume must be lower, because with $5 shipping, that's not leaving them much profit. Buying in bulk, they probably reduce that cost 20-30%.

Look I'm not trying to say this isn't worth it for anyone... If you have the extra money and feel it's worth it, then go for it. I'm just curious about the justification of those who use the service. Saving time was mentioned, but I don't think you're really saving any time doing this. The meals still take 30-60 minutes to cook (which is a lot of time), and you still are going to the grocery store every week since this service isn't filling your pantry and fridge. I am also just curious on the business model and its profitability.

I don't know if anyone is willing to admit they are just lazy, but that seems like a justifiable honest answer

Also, I was wanting to ask about the 'healthy' side of it. A recipe above shows alfredo, do they give you low calorie/low fat options? Alfredo is not healthy by most definitions.
62strat
AG
quote:

You like convenience too. You don't cut down whole chicken, which would be much cheaper than cooking up a bag of frozen chicken. I bet you buy bags of salad instead making it yourself. You buy and cook frozen meals for your family.
We don't regularly eat the rest of the chicken, so I would have to buy 4 whole chickens to get 8 breasts, and would waste the rest of it, making the cost higher than buying the chicken breast alone. And frozen is the same price as fresh, if not cheaper.
This isn't a matter of convenience, I'm just buying what we eat, the only way I know how.

Tanya 93
quote:
quote:

I'm pretty sure those quantities of those ingredients would be less than $20. After all, this company is making money off you right?

If you had none of it, then sure, it would be more than $20 to buy it all in the package it comes in, but you would have more quantity of many of the items, like the fish, flour, mayo, cilantro. But the unit food cost is less than $20, it's probably around $10-$12.

$1.6 per fish
$1 for 6 tortillas
$1.5 for radishes
$1 for avocado
$.50 for lime
$1 for cabbage
$1.5 for cilantro
$.40 for pepper
$.15 for mayo
$.15 for rice flour
Some of those are a guess, I don't buy them often.

That's $10.40, add 20% for error and tax, puts you at $12.48. Their cost I assume must be lower, because with $5 shipping, that's not leaving them much profit. Buying in bulk, they probably reduce that cost 20-30%.

Look I'm not trying to say this isn't worth it for anyone... If you have the extra money and feel it's worth it, then go for it. I'm just curious about the justification of those who use the service. Saving time was mentioned, but I don't think you're really saving any time doing this. The meals still take 30-60 minutes to cook (which is a lot of time), and you still are going to the grocery store every week since this service isn't filling your pantry and fridge. I am also just curious on the business model and its profitability.

I don't know if anyone is willing to admit they are just lazy, but that seems like a justifiable honest answer

Also, I was wanting to ask about the 'healthy' side of it. A recipe above shows alfredo, do they give you low calorie/low fat options? Alfredo is not healthy by most definitions.

You aren't grasping not everyone keeps all those things around.

But yes. You know what is best for all families.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:

We don't regularly eat the rest of the chicken, so I would have to buy 4 whole chickens to get 8 breasts, and would waste the rest of it, making the cost higher than buying the chicken breast alone. And frozen is the same price as fresh, if not cheaper.
This isn't a matter of convenience, I'm just buying what we eat, the only way I know how.

And they know what they will eat.
You use way too much in convenience foods. Bone in chicken breast is much cheaper and takes very little time to debone.

And frozen foods? Be ashamed of yourself. Such a waste of money when you can make two for the price of a frozen one.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You aren't grasping not everyone keeps all those things around.

But yes. You know what is best for all families.
Enough of the snide comments.

I know they may not keep these items around. If I must repeat myself; even with this service, you still have to grocery shop to fill your pantry/fridge for the other 15 meals a week that you eat. So, the amount of time to buy these few extra items is incremental to the time you are already spending shopping.
Teslag
AG
Where are you shopping that they have 1/4 cup of rice flour available? Rice flour costs around $8 for 24 ounces. Most people don't have this ingredient readily available. Same with things like chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This week we made a recipe with mirin and yuzu juice. Are those available for .15 a tablespoon somewhere? Not in our local grocery stores.

Recalculate your costs based on buying the smallest package sizes available and you would be a little more accurate. Add to that the hassle of tracking down some of the harder to find ingredients. Not everyone has a Whole Foods, Central Market, or Trader Joes nearby.

Also, that Alfredo recipe is 740 calories per serving. Made with all fresh ingredients.
Tanya 93
Why are you not deboning your own chicken? Why are you not making your own lasagnas, chopping your own salads, and baking your own bread?

Not everyone has room to keep dozens of bottles of condiments so they can use 1 tablespoon.

Like I said, don't do it. But you certainly are not cooking as cheaply as I do.
62strat
AG
quote:
Where are you shopping that they have 1/4 cup of rice flour available? Rice flour costs around $8 for 24 ounces. Most people don't have this ingredient readily available. Same with things like chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. This week we made a recipe with mirin and yuzu juice. Are those available for .15 a tablespoon somewhere? Not in our local grocery stores.

Recalculate your costs based on buying the smallest package sizes available and you would be a little more accurate. Add to that the hassle of tracking down some of the harder to find ingredients. Not everyone has a Whole Foods, Central Market, or Trader Joes nearby.

Also, that Alfredo recipe is 740 calories per serving. Made with all fresh ingredients.
I'll counter the last few points, and then I'll step out of the thread. I didn't mean to be attacking anyone, just trying to understand the business model, and the reason why people use it, and I feel I'm ruffling too many feathers.

RE: rice flour/package sizes, $8 for 24 oz brings it to $.66 per 1/4 cup, so I was off $.50. My pricing is food cost, not inventory cost. These are unit prices. Have you ever worked at a restaurant? I'm guessing no. For example, a place that makes hamburgers, they have a 1/3lb. patty, and it has a cost. Using a real world example, if they buy their meat in a box that has (6) 10 lb logs, and it's $120, then their meat is $2/lb, so that patty costs $.66. If a tomato cost $1, and it makes 5 slices, then the portion for 1 burger is $.20.. and so on.

Does this meal really even need rice flour? or is just to be gluten free? Outside of baking, the two flours are essentially the same.

With fresh food, you may have waste, so that has to be accounted for, but the fish taco example, the only fresh ingredients were used entirely (cilantro, chipotle pepper, radish). The left over fish (if packaged frozen), flour, mayo, sugar, tortillas from their packaging can be held onto and used again, so it's cost does not need to be added to the one meal.
This is not rocket science.

Tanya I can buy a frozen 100 oz. lasagna for about $13, or about $1.69 per 13 oz serving. I'm positive I can't buy the ingredients that cheap (cheese $$), and it would take 1-2 hours of my time, compared to about 1-2 minutes of preheating, and throwing it in oven.
Buying frozen in this example truly saves me time, even if you can prove to me that it is more $. Unlike the fish taco example which still takes 30-40 min to prep.. the only time savings is the 5 minutes it would take to buy those extra ingredients during your weekly grocery run.

Anyway.. maybe some of you don't know, but if make an account on kroger website (I'm sure others as well), they have a bank of hundreds of recipes (this solves meal planning and lack of cooking skills). It has the ingredients listed, and with a click you can add what you need to your cart.. Get the app, so when you go grocery shopping, you have your shopping list there.

All of that is free, and the only extra time spent is gathering those extra ingredients when you're already at the store.

It is essentially what you are paying someone 50% markup on food + shipping to do for you, by having them gather ingredients and individually package them all, and ship it. And it is more flexible since you can decide on low fat/low calorie, or 'full flavor', low sodium, gluten free, leave out certain items, etc.

Bye now.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Why are you comparing the economics of eating frozen lasagna (a disaster for your body) to a meal from one of these meal services that attempts to do things in a healthy way. You're arguing that this service is more expensive than the stuff you eat. It most certainly is because it sounds like you eat fairly uncomplicated and probably unhealthy stuff.
GAC06
AG
The meal service obviously isn't for someone who is content eating frozen chicken breasts for dinner four nights a week.
Teslag
AG
Eli did you get a delivery this week?
HTownAg98
If you want to become a better cook, and do it in an economical fashion, stop being a slave to recipes. With most non-baking recipes, measurements matter little. It's not the end of the world if a recipe calls for one cup of chopped onion and you only have half a cup. And you can substitute lots of things for exotic ingredients that may not be readily available. Sure, it's not going to taste exactly the same, but it will be close enough, and I doubt anyone will care that you substituted some lime juice and soy for the ponzu sauce.
Cool with what is available to you, and if you need something a little odd and hard to find, there's always Amazon prime.
Al Bula
AG
Totally hooked on Blue Apron. I can understand why it is not for everyone but it has certainly been a shot in the arm to give me new ideas to try out that are not normally on the radar.

When you consider you get the variety delivered to your door, you are most definitely saving time when it comes to shopping and meal planning.

Additionally I now have some exposure to different things I can pivot from a Blue Apron recipe to something I already make.

The wife and I are DINKs at the moment so it works for us. Cooking is something of a hobby so having everything ready to go is an idiot-proof indulgence of this hobby during the week.

Freaking chicken made all week long sounds terrible. However the dude being a wet blanket on this thread has been laughed at for years on Texags.
DRE06
AG
A heads up for Costco members. You can buy $100 blue apron gift cards for $80. Brings out cost per plate down to $7.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.