Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Bread making

7,528 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by schmellba99
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm thinking about venturing into bread making. Does anybody have a good yeast bread recipe for beginners? I'd love to try some sweet dinner rolls too. My oven has a bread proving setting if that matters.
Duncan Idaho
The Thomas Keller books have some good recipes.

Outside of that I got nothin. I tend to stick with the sourdoughs
Max06
AG
King Arthur flour's website has some great recipes. Their pizza dough is awesome, as is their Hearth bread recipe.
wessimo
AG
Best and easiest bread I have made: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread?_r=0
gigemags87
AG
Yea the No Knead Bread from Jim Lahey (via NYT article link above) is incredible for the tiny amount of work and the great results. The only things you need are time, a heavy Dutch oven and sown parchment paper. I suggest letting the dough rise on the parchment in a small frying pan to help it keep its shape.

You will be amazed at what this recipe produces.
Protrident
AG
doing it this weekend! Do we have a great/easy banana nut bread recipe floating around too? :-)
ol'Porkbelly
AG
Peter Reinheart has some really great books. Good place to start is his Artisan Breads. Lots of pics for newbies, all of it is pretty easy, too.
bmc13
Protrident
AG
I did the No-Knead bread recipe for the first time, WOW! That was awesome!
___________________________________________________________________ words
chilidogfood
AG
That nyt recipe is money. Made two loaves over the weekend.
Vernada
AG
I'm also a fan of Irish soda bread. So easy. So good.
91AggieLawyer
AG
1. Get a bread machine. You don't have to cook the bread in it -- in fact, don't; just use it for kneading. It works MUCH better than most mixers. If you want good results from a mixer, you will need to get a commercial one like Hobart. I don't think any of the Kitchen Aids do a sufficient job and the Bosch ones might work, but why bother? A good bread machine works better and is a whole lot cheaper.

2. Get on Amazon and get some Saf instant yeast. It works better than the packaged yeast which you need to proof. The instant yeast can be thrown into the mix on top of the dry ingredients. One box will last you a LOOOOOONNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG time. Keep it in the fridge and you're good for a year, year and a half.

3. While you're on Amazon, assuming you want to make some loafs, get the USA pan. You can also find these at Acemart if you have one of those nearby. There are several loaf sizes, muffin size, large bun size, etc. Although I use a little, you really don't need oil, butter, and certainly not Pam spray on these and the bread comes out clean every time.

4. I like KA flour -- particularly bread flour. You can use either bread or AP if you have a good flour. KA is now at most grocery stores and I saw it at Target recently.

5. Reading some baking books is a good idea. Also, there are bread forums where people have tried, failed, then tried and succeeded. Pay particular attention to moisture content in your dough. A lot of bad dough makes bad bread because it is too dry. Its much better to have moist dough than dry. I've got Peter Reinhart's Apprentice book but have only skimmed it.

6. Alton Brown (Good eats) has a good basic bread recipe. I've adapted it a little and gotten rave reviews. He also has cinnamon rolls (another episode) that I make all the time. Now that I think about it, I'm way overdue on both of those.

7. I want 15% of anything good you make!! Good luck.
aggieann
AG
Wessimo is right on. Four ingredients, no kneading, super delicious! And no hole in the bottom from a bread machine! Highly recommended.
aggieann
AG
Sorry! Meant to give a big thumbs up.

Wessimo is right on. Four ingredients, no kneading, super delicious! And no hole in the bottom from a bread machine! Highly recommended.
aggiespartan
AG
We've been making bread out of some artisan bread book. These are no knead recipes for which you pretty much just put everything in the mixer, mix, let rise, then bake. They work well and you can add herbs and whatnot, but I'm looking for something a little more advanced to try - something that will really impress, but not terribly easy to screw up. I'm not looking for anything like a strudel that you have to pull the dough, but some wow factor for dinner parties would be nice.

I've been reading r/breadit but nothing has jumped out at me just yet. I asked about a stuffed loaf, and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about.

I've mostly been focusing on sweets, since I'm working on opening a home based bakery business this summer.
Max06
AG
This one is a really good yeast breakfast bread. I make it the night before & bake the morning of. Buttery sweet dough flavor is pretty awesome (I was skeptical).

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/jam-filled-sour-cream-coffee-bread-recipe

In the comments there was a lot of hand wringing about how to fold/cross the strips so I took pictures ofthe last one I made.

DiskoTroop
Check the back of the yeast package:

chipotle
Random Ag
AG
another +1 nytimes no knead recipe, easy and excellent. for banana break, I love Flour Bakery's recipe. I just add chocolate chips. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/flours-famous-banana-bread-recipe.html

RangerRick9211
AG
I've been working through Flour Water Salt Yeast the past few months. Here's one of the loaves from this weekend!

End Of Message
AG
That looks awesome. What type of oven did you use?
RangerRick9211
AG
Normal oven. But all of FWSY's recipes are baked in two dutch ovens. That, or you'll have to actively manage steam.
RangerRick9211
AG
And in response to your other thread:

End Of Message
AG
Flour Water Salt Yeast is on its way. Thanks for the rec.
kurt vonnegut
AG
I've never had any interest in making my own bread, but after that nyt video, I'm headed to the store today to get some ingredients. . . .

I suspect, it would be pretty simple and straight forward to toss in something like rosemary and not affect the process, yes?

Also, surprised no one has yet mentioned using the BGE with this method.
RangerRick9211
AG
Awesome! Post your results. The above was the overnight, Saturday white recipe.

I'm trying the sweet levain recipe this Saturday. Can't wait.
kurt vonnegut
AG

Bread!! Turned out good with the rosemary. Thanks for the tip!
aggiebq03+
Resurrecting this thread because bread was hard to come by due to hurricane Harvey. So decided to just make my own. Have used the NY Times recipe posted above in the past, but used the Thomas Keller book Bouchon Bakery to make some batards this time. Who doesn't love fresh bread

Leeman
Can you please post the recipe for that ?
aggiebq03+
I found someone who'd posted it all online with pictures, so I'll post the link rather than type it all out. If you like to bake I'd go ahead and pick up Bouchon Bakery.

http://mystoryinrecipes.blogspot.com/2013/03/batard.html?m=1
RangerRick9211
AG
Spelt/WW/BF bake from a few weeks ago:

FarmerJohn
AG
Same here. Was stranded for 8 days, so made fresh pasta, foccaccia, a beer whole wheat bread, and an slightly enriched pain de campagne take off with orange and lemon oil. That called for lots of orange and lemon zest, which I neither had nor had any desire to zest, so I used some baking oil I had on hand. (My wife calls these essential oils. I used some that were a lot cheaper than the stuff she buys.) The ratio was for 6 oranges and 5 lemons I used 1 teaspoon of orange and 1/2 teaspoon of lemon. That was a big win. I had avocados so I then made avocado toast with a little red pepper. Pretty darn good, even if I wasn't trapped by flooded streets.

No photos as I'm not really to that point. Still working out what modifications I can make and keep the thing intact. For whole wheat and rye, I've started to mix the white flour, all the water, and the yeast 30 minutes before adding in everything else. I find it's a lot easier to get very sticky dough together at the kneading stage.
RangerRick9211
AG
Not bread, but I used my starter to make sourdough waffles this weekend. Recipe is a rip on King Arthur's, but I work the butter into the overnight ferment and sub some AP for whole wheat.
schmellba99
AG
kurt vonnegut said:

I've never had any interest in making my own bread, but after that nyt video, I'm headed to the store today to get some ingredients. . . .

I suspect, it would be pretty simple and straight forward to toss in something like rosemary and not affect the process, yes?

Also, surprised no one has yet mentioned using the BGE with this method.

Kind of the same for me. Made some over the weekend, it was nails. Have another batch of dough rising today to bake tonight.

Rediculously easy to do.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.