Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jalapeño Cheddar Beer Bread

12,798 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by CyAg
alabamaaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The soup threads led me to share this recipe I got from the Victoria Advocate a couple of years ago. Nothing better than a delicious bread to go with a good soup or chili! It's quick, easy, and really good. The original recipe was called "Laura's Amazing Jalapeño Beer Bread."

3 c. all-purpose flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. pickled jalapeños, seeded and chopped
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
12 oz. beer
1/2 c. melted butter

Preheat oven to 375. Measure and then sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar into a mixing bowl. (Or just measure and whisk the dry ingredients, combining well). Add the chopped jalapeños and cheese and stir well. Pour beer into bowl and mix until blended.

Pour mixture into greased loaf pan and pour melted butter over the mixture. Don't skimp on the butter...use the full 1/2 cup!

Place loaf pan on another pan (in case of overflow) and bake 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool 5-10 minutes, then remove from pan. Cool an additional 10 minutes, then slice and enjoy. *I like to use Shiner Bock or Amber Bock, but any beer will work.

[This message has been edited by Alabamaaggie12 (edited 10/21/2013 7:22a).]
agcrock2005
AG
That sounds awesome. Will be trying soon. Thanks.
Americium
AG
I was always a huge fan of the jalapeno cheese bread at Blue Baker, if this resembles anything close to that (or better), I'll surely enjoy it.
MichaelJ
AG
Ive made homemade croutons out of the Jalapeno Cheese bread that Kroger puts out in their bakery...delicious...
Geralt of Rivia
S
This sounds really good. I may have to give it a shot in the next week or two
Hwy30East
I'll be trying this.
agcrock2005
AG
How did you put a hat on your "n" Alabama? That's amazing.

baileysgram
Is it 3 tsp. baking POWDER or baking SODA?

momlaw
AG
tilde on n

alt + 0241

ñ
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
tilde on n

alt + 0241

ñ

Absolutely!
alabamaaggie12
AG
Baileys, just caught my typo...sorry for the confusion! It is baking POWDER for sure, I just goofed in the instructions and put soda.

As for the tilde, I assure you I had nothing to do with it...when I typed jalapeño, the tilde version is suggested and automatically substituted. I did think that was kinda neat, but alas, I can't take credit.

My son asked for this bread instead of birthday cake last year, and I hope those who try it like it too...I should add that it's a foolproof recipe, except for my friend who made it in a silicone loaf pan. I use regular ol' metal loaf pans and it turns out great. My oven has a top element, so I put the pan on the middle rack and watch it the last 5-8 minutes. If it's getting too dark brown, I don't leave it the full hour, but understand that the butter on top will mean this isn't a "pretty" bread. Don't be alarmed if it goes a little past the "golden" stage, it will still taste fine!

Geralt of Rivia
S
I made it yesterday, just made it with habaneros instead of the jalapenos...very good!
He Gotta Touchdown!
AG
Will be making this next weekend!
He Gotta Touchdown!
AG
Will be making this next weekend!
AggieOO
pickled jalapenos
mattvswild
AG
Just made this. It was easy, and - more to the point - tastes great!
Ft Worth Ag
AG
I made the bread last night, and it was good.
Reel Aggies
AG
I wonder how it would taste to add browned breakfast sausage to it as well......... May have to try this tomorrow morning.....
La Fours
AG
The bread is in the oven.
mattvswild
AG
I can now report this bread makes excellent croutons, too.
Lee91
AG
I made this yesterday. Huge thumbs up !

-- Lee
HouseDivided06
AG
Making this for work tomorrow for our Thanksgiving lunch. Pretty pumped. But just to clarify, you pour the melted butter over everything and you don't mix it in correct? Never done that before so just want to make sure I don't screw it up.
Lee91
AG
Just pour it over the top after you put the bread into the pan.
Reel Aggies
AG
Made it yesterday and added about 3/4 of a chub of hot Jimmy Dean that I cooked and crumbled. Turned out awesome. The butter trick on top is the kicker. I've had beer bread before that was so dry you couldn't swallow it. With the butter, the heels were the tastiest part. I cut a slice and ate it with some left over pork roast cream gravy for breakfast :-). Mmmm pass the Lipitor.....
HouseDivided06
AG
I am almost done with the loaf I did for me and the wife last week. Yesterday I took 2 pieces of it, cut a little more cheddar to put on it and toast it, then put a fried egg over medium on each piece for breakfast. It was amazing.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Made this today. Not really a bread person, but this is delicious. Does it need to be refrigerated?
alabamaaggie12
AG
Keep it airtight, and it should keep for a few days. I would refrigerate it if it is still around after about 3 days. With my family, that doesn't happen though!
GinaLinetti
AG
Trying it now.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Made some of this on Saturday and it is GREAT!!!

Next time I'll use a bit less sugar as the sweetness and jalapenos don't pair well to my taste.

I'll also go against the advice here and use just a bit less butter.
La Fours
AG
Any suggestions on how to make this bread less dense? I've made it a couple of times already and both times it was a very dense bread.
amanda04
AG
I agree with Ezra, I'll probably forgo an entire stick of butter next time as well.
DRE06
AG
Here's my cornbread. Huge hit every time.

2 eggs beaten
1 box Jiffy Cornbead mix (Don't give up on me yet)
1 12 oz can cream style corn
2-3 jalapenos, finely diced (seeds optional for heat)
1/2 onion, diced
8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp salt
(optional) 1 lb of cleaned crawfish tails

Beat eggs, mix everything else together and bake at 400 degrees for 45 min in a 9x9 pan.

This is not a traditional dry and crumbly cornbread (which I refuse to eat). This is a moist cornbread.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
Any suggestions on how to make this bread less dense? I've made it a couple of times already and both times it was a very dense bread.

Proof a packet of quick rise yeast in 1/4 cup warmed beer mixed with a tablespoon of honey. Mix in as you make the batter and let it rise for at least an hour before placing in the oven. (Use room temp beer in the rest of the batter)

Also, I've always mixed half the butter in the batter and poured half on top when making beer bread. That may not change density, but, probably worth a try.
alabamaaggie12
AG
I found sifting the dry ingredients did improve the texture, but I still don't always bother with it. I'm usually putting it in the bottom of a bowl and ladling soup or chili over it, so it just doesn't matter.
La Fours
AG
Thanks for the suggestions. By admin the yeast, do I need to change the other ingredients to compensate?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.