Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,561 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
djmeen95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just back from London and brought home a few bottles…. The Caol Ila Moch isn't sold here and is a lightly peated scotch. Buying the Talisker 10 over there was cheaper than what it's selling for here even after currency exchange.

AgInSingapore
AG
Very nice! Nursing what's left of my Lag 16 at the moment...
AgBQ-00
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Very nice! Nursing what's left of my Lag 16 at the moment...
I'm Jealous.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
AgInSingapore
AG
Best thing is a buddy of mine just gave me the bottle with only one drink poured from it, he says it tastes bad and didn't want it to go to waste. I'll take free Lag 16 all day, every day!
AgBQ-00
AG
Doing a side by side of Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Lagavulin 8.

Laphroaig QC is more medicinal. More ashy smoke and heavy brine. Slight hint of maybe some sweetness in the finish.

Lagavulin 8 earthy smoke a little meaty. Briny but goes with the meatiness. The peat is there. Definate BBQ sweetness in the end.

Neither are heavy. Both are pretty bright flavors for islay. Think I like the Lagavulin better but both are pretty tasty if you like islay flavors
AgInSingapore
AG
Wonder how the Ardbeg Wee Beastie would be as a third option in that lineup...
AgBQ-00
AG
Have not had it. Haven't had any ardbeg in fact. Would be a good comp though.

I may hit some talisker tonight. I expect it to dominate the other two.
AgInSingapore
AG
I've got 19 variations of Ardbeg to compare, but not ready to open the '78... I may have an Islay problem.
AgBQ-00
AG
Lol. Having the talisker now. It is just well put together. Like having a whisky with a campfire. I really like it.

I'm kind of the same way with Speyside that you are with Islay. I didn't realize I had so many until I looked at it a couple of days ago.
ziggity06
You've got me beat I've only got 11 different Ardeg's. I need to grab a couple more of the Laphroaig expressions I think I have 4 right now with 2 of them being different bottles of the cask strength
AgInSingapore
AG
Talisker is releasing a 44 year old, probably not in my budget at 3800 and only 1,997 bottles being released.

Texags didn't like the quid in front of 3800, so to clarify that's pound sterling, ha!
AgBQ-00
AG
I saw that. I would love to get a taste. But that is a bit out of my booze budget. LOL
Bigfootisreal
So I had ordered two bottles of Alexander Murray & Co. Glen Grant Distillery 23 year old single malt from Total Wine. Holy Cow is that good stuff. Buddy and I drank an entire bottle in one night. If you can find it I highly suggest it!
AgInSingapore
AG
I visited Glen Grant about 20 years ago and it was a great time, they had less than 10 people working there at the time but still putting out high quality juice. I've got a 50cl bottle from my visit, cask strength, in my collection waiting for the right time to be opened and shared with friends.
AgInSingapore
AG
Speaking of a reason to open a nice bottle, had to put our Irish wolfhound down today so I've cracked into my Octomore 12.1 (I have no Irish whiskey so opted for Scotch). It's mighty tasty and a fine tribute to my giant buddy, slainte Waylon, hope to see you again on the other side!
AgBQ-00
AG
Good tribute. It sucks having to let them go.
AgInSingapore
AG
Laphroaig 15 year was, in my opinion, the greatest expression they did. Unfortunately they stopped bottling it back in the day. I still have one unopened bottle in my collection and I have no idea when the right time to open it will be...
AgInSingapore
AG
Saw Lag 16 in the wild yesterday, WB Liquor at the Costco in The Woodlands.
Cromagnum
AG
Picked up a bottle of Aultmore of the Foggie Moss 12 for $52 at Total Wine the other day. Fantastic little Speyside to add to the collection for those unfamiliar.
AgBQ-00
AG
It would almost be worth the tank of gas to go down there and get it. As long as I can find before oct-nov I will be happy.
AgInSingapore
AG
Quality info Cro, I've seen it on the shelf but never grabbed one as I knew nothing about it.
AgInSingapore
AG
If you plan to make it to any home football games this year I can grab one for you if I see it again in case you don't find any by the fall. If you do find one then I'll just have an extra so no biggie.
AgBQ-00
AG
That'll work. We have not chosen which game but wife wants to go to her first at Kyle this year
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Quality info Cro, I've seen it on the shelf but never grabbed one as I knew nothing about it.

I didn't either. I frequently check commentary on Masterofmalt when I'm trying to tie break in the store. Sometimes I just try things on a whim though.

They thought highly enough of it to push me to pull the trigger. It drinks as well as some of my bottles that are 2x the cost and is a steal at 50ish bucks.

https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/aultmore/aultmore-12-year-old-whisky/
AgInSingapore
AG
Make that 20 variations of Ardbeg, just grabbed a bottle of Ardcore at lunch today, 2022 Special Committee Only Edition. Seems they used black malt barley for this one.
Chipotlemonger
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Make that 20 variations of Ardbeg, just grabbed a bottle of Ardcore at lunch today, 2022 Special Committee Only Edition. Seems they used black malt barley for this one.

Have had a couple of pours of Ardbeg 10 recently, it's my first Ardbeg and I am definitely a fan.

Is that one you described a little different hue from the black malt or is the color muted from distillation?
AgInSingapore
AG
I haven't opened it yet but did see a review on YouTube and there was no impact to the color.
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

I didn't know that one was out yet. How is it?
AgInSingapore
AG
Haven't opened yet, but I did grab a second bottle today just in case it's a good one. I'll probably pour a dram after dinner, didn't need to get into it watching the Ags take down Louisville.

I've seen some bottles of the non committee release at Total Wine, it's 46% abv where the committee release is 50.1%

AgInSingapore
AG
That Macallan Harmony is fantastic, I was skeptical that it would really have a cacao nose or flavor but it sure as heck does. Would be awesome paired with some good chocolate.
AgBQ-00
AG

Picked up an Ardbeg sampler pack. Looking forward to trying each of them.

Wee beastie, Ten and An Oa
AgInSingapore
AG
Looking forward to what you think since this may be your first time hitting the Ardbegs.
AgBQ-00
AG
These are my first time trying anything from ardbeg. Excited to see how they are. Will probably do tasting tonight. My expectations are for them to go from more wild to "mild" from wee beastie to the ten to the an oa.
AgInSingapore
AG
For me, they definitely have a sweeter taste than Laphroaig or Lagavulin (still looking to grab one more for you as an in case) but I really like what they do.
AgBQ-00
AG
Started with the ten.

First taste it is more complex than I expected. The smoke and peat are there but they are not slapping me in the face. There is a juicy fruitiness to it that I was not expecting at all. A BBQ quality to the smoke. I really like it judging from the first pour. Not nearly as medicinal as I was expecting. Definitely excited to spend more time with it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.