Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,477 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cyprian said:

Got a bday gift option coming up, which would you choose?

1) Balvenie 21 Yr Port Wood
2) GlenDronach 21 Year Old Parliament
3) Something similar in that range

Both of those two are quite nice. Depends how much you like Port Cask influence vs Sherry really.

Other nice ones in that price range (or cheaper)
Glenfarclas 25
Springbank 18
Balblair 1999
Longmorn 16
Loch Lomond 18
AgBQ-00
AG
Got a bottle of Glenkinchie 12 and Oban 14 from the in-laws. Having my first taste of the Glenkinchie snd it is really good. Light, citrus zesty and a hay/grassy type flavor. Good sweetness like a lemon custard and a dry finish. Really like it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Some Ardbeg 10 yesterday, a little Glenlivet 12 tonight. Merry Christmas, y'all!
mazag08
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Some Ardbeg 10 yesterday, a little Glenlivet 12 tonight. Merry Christmas, y'all!

I just got Ardbeg 10 from the wife! Excited to try it!
Chipotlemonger
AG
I love the Ardbeg 10
AgBQ-00
AG
Tried the Oban 14 last night too. Soooo delicious. Had before while smoking cigars so last night was my first true taste. I love it.
mazag08
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Tried the Oban 14 last night too. Soooo delicious. Had before while smoking cigars so last night was my first true taste. I love it.

Only Oban I've had is the Little Bay. 14 is next on my list to try.

Gave away Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, and fidditch 15 this year. Tough giving away sweethearts like those.
AgBQ-00
AG
Oban 14 is like a balance between Highlands and Island scotch. Just the faintest hint of smoke and earth and some really good sweet honied fruitiness to it. Really think you'll like it.

The Glenmorangie QR is another one I like a ton. Have not had the Gelnfiddich yet.
mazag08
AG
Honestly.. Glenfidditch 12 is magical. A bourbon lover can enjoy it without blinking. The 15 is better.. but had more of that "scotch" flavor. Which I think is the malted barley. 100% malted barley has a distinct flavor. People mistake it for peat, when they haven't experienced peat.
AgBQ-00
AG
It is on my list to try very soon. My next bottle purchase will be Lagavulin. Have only had a 200ml of the 16 and want a full bottle
AgBQ-00
AG
Video of a bourbon guy who recently discovered Scotch is awesome.

OaklandAg06
AG
Two bottles I picked up for the holidays, which have been incredibly enjoyable:

Glendronach 15 - a highland finished in sherry casks
Bruichladdich Port Charlotte OLC 01 - this may be my favorite pour of any kind. Highly recommend it if you can find it.
AgBQ-00
AG
How is the Glendronach 15 compared to the 12? If I'm in the mood for strong sherry flavor Glendronach 12 is usually what I grab.
jwright4288
AG
I preferred the 12. I found the the 15 to be more bitter/dryer than the 12. I would take the 12 over the 15 even without price as a consideration.

*Edit to add the 15 is still fantastic, I just slightly preferred the 12.

I am considering picking up a bottle of the 21yr at my local total wine
jwright4288
AG
Got a couple bottles over Christmas as gifts/purchases.

Compass box peat monster: had this one once before and it's one of my favorites. I may be crazy but I pick up a lot of sweeter, meaty, bbq smoke. I imagined pulling a rack of BBQ ribs off the smoker when I drink this.

Compass box spice tree: incredible dram, especially for its price. I get sweet biscuit, with touches of spice. Maybe nutmeg, clove, etc. but not christmasy. I am reminded of those walkers short bread cookies but with extra spices. I also at one point got a hint(very slight) of orange spice. Reminded me of constant comment tea

Aberlour 18: classic sherried scotch. Dark fruits, spice, all that delicious stuff. Not a full sherry bomb but a very good balanced sherried whiskey.

Glen scotia 18: need to retry as my nose was clogged when I first tried it so I couldn't smell. It was disappointing. Didn't pick up on much but again I blame the lack of smell. I didn't pick up on any of the classic campbeltown funk I was looking for. I'll re-write this if I remember after trying again when I can smell

A side note on glasses - I always thought a glenclairn glass made a huge difference in tasting but never actually compared side by side. Did a few side by side tastings and confirmed there's a night and day difference between a rocks glass and a glencairn
AgBQ-00
AG
Had the Glenfiddich 12 at lunch today. You are right it is yummy
AgBQ-00
AG
What is the Compass Box? Have not heard of it
jwright4288
AG
Compass Box is a blender. Spice tree and peat monster are the specific bottlings. I've really liked everything by compass box I've tried. I highly recommend giving the spice tree a try. If you're into peat the peat monster is worth a try as well.

The spice tree is probably in my top 5
mazag08
AG
Just wrote a huge post outlining the 7 high end scotches I got to try in New Years that my friend brought over. But I accidentally pulled my screen down and it's refreshed. Will try and rewrite it later.

The ultimate winner was Glendronach Allardice 18. Faint whisp of peat with a richer, fuller, more fulfilling nose, palette, and finish than the 12 year. One of the best I've ever had and I bottle I will definitely be buying. No idea how the distiller reviewer only gave it an 84. That person is an idiot.
OaklandAg06
AG
Re: Glendronach 12 vs the 15, the 15 was my first try any of Glendronach. Sounds like I will need to give the 12 and 18 a try as well.
Cromagnum
AG
jwright4288 said:

Compass Box is a blender. Spice tree and peat monster are the specific bottlings. I've really liked everything by compass box I've tried. I highly recommend giving the spice tree a try. If you're into peat the peat monster is worth a try as well.

The spice tree is probably in my top 5

If you like the peat monster, get Ardbeg's Wee Beastie. It tastes very similar and is about $20 cheaper.
Ag_07
AG
Had a Specs gift card from Christmas and went and picked out a more expensive bottle than I typically do.

Went with the Dalmore 15 for right at $100. Turned out to be a great choice.

Just a really nice well rounded dram that was incredibly smooth. Highly recommend
Cyprian
AG
Yes, good call. Dalmore 15 yr is a higher end sweet spot on price/value imo.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
AgInSingapore
AG
Grabbed a Lagavulin 12 year 2021 special release at Total Wine this evening, 56.5% ABV, 160 bucks. Hope to get a few more if it is a good one.
AgBQ-00
AG
Is 56.5 cask strength?
AgInSingapore
AG
That's correct
AgBQ-00
AG
Evidently if you can find Glendronach 21 bottled in '22 the whisky in the bottle is actually 27 years old. Has to do with the reopening of the distillery. Video below talks about it. Sound is out for the first several minutes.

SpiderDude
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Whisky Advocate just named the Lagavulin 11 year old Offerman Edition Guinness finish #1 whisky of 2021 so if it's not already sold out in your area, you may want to get another bottle if so inclined.

Was able to snag one today!
AgInSingapore
AG
Awesome, I've not seen any at the Total Wines or the Specs I visit but I still have 1 unopened bottle and half left in my opened bottle.
Johnsy3
AG
SpiderDude said:

AgInSingapore said:

Whisky Advocate just named the Lagavulin 11 year old Offerman Edition Guinness finish #1 whisky of 2021 so if it's not already sold out in your area, you may want to get another bottle if so inclined.

Was able to snag one today!

What was the price on it? I saw it recently at a specs near me for $80 which is like $30 cheaper than what it was when first launched
SpiderDude
AG
Mine was in the $80 range.
aggiebrother33
Buddy had a bottle out the other night, Sar Obair 1990 25 year. What's the value on that bottle, I'm more of a bourbon guy so no clue, but seemed to think it was tip top.
AgInSingapore
AG
Sar Obair is/was a label released by the independent bottler Kingsbury. They seem to have had a few that were 1990 (a Macallan, a Springbank and a Laphroaig) and most if not all were for the Japanese market if I can trust what I'm seeing online.

Edit to add that it looks like the 25 year old was the Macallan.
mazag08
AG
What's the cheapest Sherry bomb that is tolerable enough?

Anything less than $50.
Cromagnum
AG
mazag08 said:

What's the cheapest Sherry bomb that is tolerable enough?

Anything less than $50.

There are plenty of sherried whiskies in that price range, but I would be hard pressed to name one I considered to be a sherry bomb. Macallan, Aberlour, and Glendronach all come to mind, but they all cost more than $50. Aberlour A'Bunadh may be the most Sherry heavy thing I've tried.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.