Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,501 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I believe gold is for the 50th so I understand why you want that, but Tiffany's makes a nice decanter and glass set.

As for Scotch, you could buy Balvenie 25 or 30 yr old for the special occasion.
Cromagnum
AG
Tried some Glendronach 27 at Rosewater in Clear Lake yesterday at breakeven cost. Talk about a badass pour for a sherry lover.
Cyprian
AG
I went for this one from Total Wines Concierge

Glenmorangie 'A Tale of Winter' Single Malt, 13 years

From the website

"Matured in ex-Bourbon casks, and finished in Marsala Wine Casks from Sicily. Color: Rustic Gold. Aroma: Light flurries of fruit and honey. Taste: Torrents of cocoa dust, flakes of red pepper and chunks of brazil nut toffee. Finish: Swirls of cinnamon, ginger and clove."

I was sold

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
AgInSingapore
AG
I did as well, almost went for two bottles but decided on just the one to start.
AgBQ-00
AG
That sounds delicious
AgBQ-00
AG
Enjoying my trusty pour tonight. Balvenie 12 Doublewood
AgInSingapore
AG
Grabbed an Octomore 12.1 from Total Wine Concierge...

"Distilled in 2015 from the 2014 harvest of 100% Scottish grown Concerto barley. Malted to 130.8 PPM. Opens on zesty citrus freshness and earthy peat smoke…Coconut and chocolate, vanilla and caramel follow and as the aromas open further cinder toffee and layers of peat smoke and honey come to the fore. Peppery and sweet on the palate, with a texture of warm golden syrup…The finish brings salted caramel with floral and herbal notes. Honeysuckle, primrose and then gentle peat smoke, as ever, the note that drifts on the longest."
AgBQ-00
AG
I saw that! Was very close to grabbing a bottle. Would love to know how it is
AgInSingapore
AG
I'll let you know once it arrives, says winter 2021-2022 so still have a bit to wait...
AgBQ-00
AG
Anyone ever tried any of the Blackadder independent bottlings?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Picked up an Ardbeg 10 to try out. I don't go through Scotch too quickly, so I don't get to try too many that often.

I asked for recs a while back based on my prior bottle and liking it, Laphroaig 10, and Ardbeg was mentioned. The two 10 year bottles are very close to one another on that handy scotch chart! (Saved it so I have on hand). Had been meaning to pick up another bottle for a while now.
SpiderDude
AG
I went to an Ardbeg event at a local liquor store several months ago. They had pretty much their entire lineup for sampling... and of course I tried them all! While I did like their higher proof/ cask strength stuff I ended up purchasing the An Oa. It was what I considered the best "bang for the buck". Great flavor and finish.

https://thewhiskeywash.com/reviews/whisky-review-ardbeg-oa/
AgInSingapore
AG
I have a bottle of Blackadder Raw Cask 1990 Dalmore but haven't ever opened it since it has LOTS of sediment in it from the cask. Purchased it on a whim back in the day and now it just collects dust on the shelf.
AgBQ-00
AG
The Black Adder I saw on concierge piqued my interest. I ended up passing. Will have to look for them in the future
AgBQ-00
AG
Am going to pick-up a bottle to enjoy throughout the holiday season. I am split right now between getting Lag16 or trying something new. I have Talisker 10 so I think the smoky flavor base is covered. Have never had a Campbelltown or lowlands scotch. any recommendations from those areas?
ziggity06
The Lagavulin 16 is a solid choice. I would recommend Springbank 10 or Kilkerran 12 for Campbelltown as bottles that I own but you might also consider Glen Scotia 15 since it has gotten good reviews on Whiskeytube and will be my next Campbelltown purchase
AgBQ-00
AG
Appreciate it!
Cromagnum
AG
I'll be getting in trouble at the Houston Whiskey Social tomorrow. Over 300 pours gonna be available.
AgInSingapore
AG
Just grabbed the 2021 edition of Laphroaig Cairdeas, very happy to have seen it on the shelf.
Johnsy3
AG
Bought a bottle of Balvenie 21 earlier this year when I found it for $199 at a local shop. I've only had a small sample before but I loved it and decided to save it for the right moment.

Baby #2 arrived a month early this morning and is in NICU but all signs point to her being able to leave soon. She's healthy and beautiful.

Man, this is delicious. Cheers, Ags!
Cromagnum
AG
Tried some incredible Scotch at the Houston Whiskey Social yesterday.

Balvenie Day of Dark Barley 26
Bruichladdich Black Arts
Glen Scotia 25
Loch Lomond 18 & 20
Glennfiddich 30
AgBQ-00
AG
Congrats on the kiddo! Very good pour to celebrate the occassion
Superdave1993
AG
Pretty much a bourbon guy with the occasional Irish, rye, and Canadian mixed in. I have been burned with a couple of nasty bottles of scotch. A neighbor and I saw the video of the best Costco/Kirklands liquor and decided to make a run. I splurged the $18.99 for their basic blended scotch and was truly surprised. It drank better than their Tennessee whiskey. There were different flavors in it that are not in the others that I normally drink, but it did not have the over smoked cough medicine, swampy moss water flavor of most that I have tried. It seemed to be an Irish with more upfront and on the back end. One of the regular scotch guys on the street said it was actually pretty good for the price.

Where do I go from here without getting too crazy price or flavor wise?
AgBQ-00
AG
Good intro to single malts is pretty much any thing from Balvenie. Their 12 year Doublewood is pretty much their baseline. Is very good and is always in my liquor cabinet. It is my favorite distillery and was my intro to Scotches. If you don't like smokey/iodine tastes steer clear of peated scotches. To start avoid Islay/most island scotches. They tend to play around with peat and smoke more than other regions.

I think you will find the variety of flavors in scotch that come from different regions and distilleries is unmatched in the whisk(e)y world.

Welcome to the adventure that is scotch.

ETA a good chart that covers a flavor profiles across A ton of different scotches
Superdave1993
AG
Thank you sir. I had seen the chart, but had no clue on which quadrant to start in. Neighbor usually has McAllen 12, but I have always had it after bourbon. I will give it an honest shot one of these days.
AgBQ-00
AG
Coming from bourbon, the right side of the chart will be a good place to start. The lower right is going to be more honeyed lighter flavors. Upper right you will get into fruit flavors and wine cask influence.
I know a ton of people who like Macallan but it is not a distillery that ever clicked with my palate. Will have to revisit it because my tastes have changed since the last time I tried it. There are others on the thread that know way more than me. It's a great place to get info and tips on stuff to try out
originalmab
In need of help:

I randomly came across an EXTREMELY rare bottle of scotch. Macallan Millennium 50 (1949). I'll let you guys do the research. What would be the best way to optimize value on such a rare collectors bottle?

Thanks in advance.
AgBQ-00
AG
Talisker tonight for a celebratory drink. It was a good day.
Cromagnum
AG
For those in Houston, Rosewater over in Clear Lake frequently has break even bottles of high end stuff that you can try. They currently have Bruichladdich Black Arts for around $25 a hit if anyone wants to try some really good stuff out.
AgInSingapore
AG
Whisky Advocate just named the Lagavulin 11 year old Offerman Edition Guinness finish #1 whisky of 2021 so if it's not already sold out in your area, you may want to get another bottle if so inclined.
AgInSingapore
AG
Octomore 12.1 and Glenmorangie 18 Azuma Makoto in hand. Saw a couple Oban 2021 Distiller's Edition at Total Wine but passed (against my better judgement ha) seeing as how I grabbed a couple other bottles of whiskey earlier in the day.
Cromagnum
AG
There are 4 bottles of Glendronach Parliament at Smith St Specs but price has gone up. It's $237 nowadays.
AgInSingapore
AG
Finishing the last pour of my Glenmorangie Cake tonight, sad to see it go but happy to have had it. Good friend of mine in Tennessee and fellow collector of single malt grabbed a Glenmorangie a Tale of Winter and said he'll be getting a case after trying it yesterday.
Cyprian
AG
Got a bday gift option coming up, which would you choose?

1) Balvenie 21 Yr Port Wood
2) GlenDronach 21 Year Old Parliament
3) Something similar in that range

-------------
Cyprian
AG
originalmab said:

In need of help:

I randomly came across an EXTREMELY rare bottle of scotch. Macallan Millennium 50 (1949). I'll let you guys do the research. What would be the best way to optimize value on such a rare collectors bottle?

Thanks in advance.

Really? Incredible if so. I won a bottle of Michter's 25 year old at retail (Total Wine draw) that i turned into a nice profit some 8 months ago. There is a risk/reward calculus to take into account. Basically the more "private" the transaction is, there is more profit potential but also it comes with more risk.

-------------

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.