Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,441 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
Cyprian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Something new

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Beautiful! How is it?

Great signature by the way.
mazag08
AG
Cyprian said:

Something new

I've been waiiiiting for it. Forgot it dropped this month. How is it?
Cyprian
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Beautiful! How is it?

I'll let you all know tonight! I got mine at a local TW in the Houston area - there were quite a few on the shelf yesterday at least.

I am thinking of putting this side by side with a Red Spot.

(And yes, the Dude abides.)

-------------
mazag08
AG
Cyprian said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Beautiful! How is it?

I'll let you all know tonight! I got mine at a local TW in the Houston area - there were quite a few on the shelf yesterday at least.

I am thinking of putting this side by side with a Red Spot.

(And yes, the Dude abides.)
Might be a tough comparison, as Blue is cask strength.

I'm gonna try and pick up a bottle today and I'll compare against Green, Green Montelena cask, Yellow, and Red.
Hootie
AG
I got to taste the Blue Spot a few weeks ago. It is very good. It is now my 2nd favorite of the Spot line behind yellow. I like it better than Red Spot.
arrow
AG
That's crazy talk. Red Spot may be the best whiskey I've tasted. I'm excited to add Blue to my Spot collection, though I'm a little disappointed it's selling for over $100. I expected it to cost less than Green.
mazag08
AG
arrow said:

That's crazy talk. Red Spot may be the best whiskey I've tasted. I'm excited to add Blue to my Spot collection, though I'm a little disappointed it's selling for over $100. I expected it to cost less than Green.
I think that's the cask strength effect.
Cyprian
AG
Yea, I'm a fan. I am not for great reviews, but I'll say it is smooth, and complex. Has some fruity, nutty smells on the nose. Oily and nutty with taste, but somehow floral and sweet into a long sweet finish, and it has some spicy and peppers in the background. The finish reminds me of a last bite of a rich dessert, as the taste fads away.

-------------
MediAg13
AG
Finally got a bottle of Balvenie Portwood to try. Absolutely one of the most enjoyable pours I've ever had.

Next will be the 17 year that y'all recommended.

So far I've gotten each bottle of Balvenie up to the Portwood minus peat week and the 17 year. I've enjoyed them all, where would y'all recommend branching out to next in the world of scotch?
dsvogel05
AG
I'm a big Balvenie fan, especially the 17 year. I'm digging this Dalmore Portwood.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/dalmore-port-wood-reserve/p/192798750
dsvogel05
AG
If anyone is looking to dip their toe into Scotch from bourbon, this is pretty good, especially for the price.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/glenfiddich-14-yr-bourbon-barrel-reserve/p/150255750
MediAg13
AG
dsvogel05 said:

I'm a big Balvenie fan, especially the 17 year. I'm digging this Dalmore Portwood.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/scotch/single-malt/dalmore-port-wood-reserve/p/192798750

Excellent, I've got some friends coming to town this weekend so I think I'll grab a bottle of that for us to try.
AgBQ-00
AG
MediAg13 said:

Finally got a bottle of Balvenie Portwood to try. Absolutely one of the most enjoyable pours I've ever had.

Next will be the 17 year that y'all recommended.

So far I've gotten each bottle of Balvenie up to the Portwood minus peat week and the 17 year. I've enjoyed them all, where would y'all recommend branching out to next in the world of scotch?

The Portwood and Doublewood started my Scotch adventure. If you want to branch outside of Speyside but want to stay in the same general flavor area look at the Highland region as a whole which includes the Speysides.
If you want a totally different experience you may try something like Talisker. But if you don't like smoke you may wait on that one.

ETA: no personal experience with it but I have been told by several trusted friends that Oban makes damned fine scotch as well
jh0400
AG
If you like higher proof, Aberlour A'bunadh is a solid choice. Springbank is also a good place to look if you want to ease into peat.
mazag08
AG
Has anyone had Auchentoshan Blood Oak or Glenfarclas 12?

I'm very interested in the red wine cask finish of the blood oak but also looking to branch out in my sherry cask collection.

I currently have Glendronach 12, Dalmore 12, and Aberlour A'bunadh. All 3 are wonderful but my favorite is probably Aberlour.
John Francis Donaghy
No, but one of my all time favorite scotches was an Isle of Arran that was finished in Amarone (very bold red wine) casks, sadly no longer available, but it was a fantastic pour and pretty unique flavors. I may have to pick up a bottle of the Blood Oak to see if it's similar.
dsvogel05
AG
Aberlour A'bunadh is very good, as is their 18 year, but you're right, it's a little hotter due to alcohol content. Oban does make a good Scotch and I have the 14 year, but I much prefer Balvenie and Dalmore.
betadawg1
AG
Found this at a hole in the wall today.
AgBQ-00
AG
How is it?
Scotts Tot
AG
Scotch tariffs are suspended!
mazag08
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Great for us, sucks for US distilleries.

UK's tariffs on US imports are the reason we retaliated in the first place.
betadawg1
AG
I'm saving it for a football weekend Friday night scotch tasting. We usually have at least per season.

Judging from the label it looks like it was bottled in the 90s.
Cromagnum
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Came here to post that.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scotch-whisky-tariffs-suspended-in-new-us-agreement-3154414
AgInSingapore
AG
Got my hands on a bottle of ARRRRRRRRDBEG!, which is a committee release matured in ex-rye casks. Also picked up the 2020 special releases of Talisker (8 year old) and Cragganmore (20 year old).
John Francis Donaghy
Sounds awesome! Picked up an Uigadail for myself the other day. I'm in the mood to have a peat monster land a haymaker on my tastebuds this weekend.
AgBQ-00
AG
Im enjoying a pour of Lagavulin 8 this afternoon. This is my first revisit to it in a couple of months. Man it is so good. I don't know if the air in the bottle has messed with the taste but it is a bit more sweet than I remember and the smoke is sooooo smooth in it. Just gets better and better.
MarathonAg12
My father in law is a big scotch guy. Me, not so much.

He got covid a few months ago, I decided to get something good for us to try.

Popped open the Lagavulin 16 and we were both blown away. Good stuff!
AgBQ-00
AG
One of my favorites
Cyprian
AG
Glenmorangie Signet is so good. It is a shame it costs so much, but what a fine dram. Smooth, chocolate and nutty, and a long finish.

-------------
dsvogel05
AG
Picked up a bottle of Balvenie 15 year Sherry Cask. Plan to open it this weekend on a camping trip, I have high hopes for it.
AgInSingapore
AG
My wife stopped in a hole in the wall liquor store, video called me to let me have a look at what was on the shelf in case they had any odd gems and I am glad she did because sitting there were three Laphroaig Cairdeas 200th Anniversary Editions (the 2015 release) and a Bowmore Dorus Mor batch 2. Needless to say I told her to buy it all. I can't wait to get into the Laphroaig.
jh0400
AG
2014 Cairdeas was on of the best bottles I've ever had. I wish I'd bought a backup.
amercer
AG
A question, and I apologize if this is something already covered on the thread, since I'm not going through all 28 pages.

Anyone ever mix different scotches together? I got a nice decanter for Christmas and it's just sitting empty in my library. It's actually marked for mixing things. I'm was thinking about filling it with something cheapy but adding 10% of something really peaty to see what happens.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.