Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,504 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpiderDude said:

For those of you within driving distance of a Twin Liquors... they're having a big scotch sale through Saturday. Lagavulin 16 was $85ish. Laphroaig 10 cask about the same. Highland Park 18 was like $30 off the normal price. Not all but most brands are on sale.

So apparently they're having ANOTHER scotch sale at Twin. Savings of $20 or more on some decent bottles. Similar to last time where not all labels are on sale but I'd say about 50% or more are.

Sale ends 1/26.
GoAgs92
AG
Had to
Post removed:
by user
Cyprian
AG
FbgTxAg said:

FTAco07 said:

I need some help deciding on a bottle of scotch for a gift. I know the person likes The Mcallan 15 (not sure which variety if their are multiples). Given that, what would be a good gift of something similar profile but in the $300-$500 price range? I'm not looking to do multiple bottles and willing to go a bit up or down from that range for the right combination of great scotch with attractive packaging a bonus.

Thanks in advance!

Macallan #2, #3, #4, or 18 Sherry Oak would probably all be in that price range. Or the Rare Cask.

Most Macallan drinkers also like Balvenie as well so maybe a Balvenie 18 or 21 if it's in that range.

I have never tried it, but Balvenie Tun 1509 gets great reviews and is in that range too

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Cyprian
AG
Feeling some Irish love tonight, cheers

-------------
mazag08
AG
Might join you on that one
BBRex
AG
I think I'll have the Talisker Distiller's Edition tonight. Talisker 10 is definitely my favorite regular dram.

AggieBarstool
I need to get a bottle of Talisker 10.
mazag08
AG
AggieBarstool said:

I need to get a bottle of Talisker 10.
I've got half of one left.

It's yours for $250

.. I kid
BBRex
AG
It was sort of my introduction to scotch, and it's still my favorite. Something about the brine and smoke that does it for me.
Cyprian
AG
Talisker 10 is a good pour. Definitely brings some peat, but mild for an Islay, some sweetness blends in nicely. I would be interested to hear how 10 compares to their Distillery Edition - I've never tried that one

-------------
MarathonAg12
Talisker 10
BBRex
AG
The sherry casks add more fruit without taking too much away from the flavor you would recognize. The price, I think, was a bit more than Talisker 10, maybe $15-$20. It's worth trying.
aggiemike02
AG
I have 2 older scotches I'm trying to value.. one is a Lagavulin Distillers Edition 1993 (bottled in 2009) and a Glenfiddich Ancient Reserve 18 year (also bottled same time frame).

Any idea what these are reasonably worth?
BBRex
AG
Having a Jura 10. A friend who now lives in Scotland recommended it as an affordable daily drinker. Well, it is, uh, affordable. I looked it up after trying it, and I found this.

https://malt-review.com/2019/01/25/jura-10-year-old/
AgInSingapore
AG
Ah Jura, the only whisky I have ever poured down the drain.
Post removed:
by user
aggiemike02
AG
Thanks. I had found those but that's not the same Glenfiddich, mine is not as fancy of a bottle.
Cromagnum
AG
Cyprian said:

Talisker 10 is a good pour. Definitely brings some peat, but mild for an Islay, some sweetness blends in nicely. I would be interested to hear how 10 compares to their Distillery Edition - I've never tried that one

The Distiller's Edition is sweeter due to the re-barreling in sherry casks. It's a fine dram for sure.
Post removed:
by user
MarathonAg12
Trying to grow my scotch selection.

Currently lagavulin 16 is the only thing I have.

What would be something else to broaden the spectrum? I've been hearing Talisker 10 and highland park 12
mazag08
AG
About to try Ardbeg Uigeadail. Very excited.
BBRex
AG
Ever tried anything from Laphroaig?
Post removed:
by user
AgBQ-00
AG
Can't go wrong with he Talisker10. Also a friend I trust on his whisky tastes says caol ila Is very good.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
BBRex
AG
I took this at Talisker when I was there a couple of summers ago, so I'm sure it's mostly Talisker and Diageo brands, but it might give you some ideas.

mazag08
AG
mazag08 said:

About to try Ardbeg Uigeadail. Very excited.

It was pretty good. Love the sweetness up front followed by the savory at the end. But I think it's a little to unbalanced toward the peat for me at this point. I much prefer Talisker 10. Need to continue building my taste buds though and maybe that will change.
AgBQ-00
AG
That is one I really want to try. Will probably try and land a bottle on my birthday.
mazag08
AG
I'll say this.. a $20 pour was well worth it as I had been thinking of getting the bottle and realized I'm not quite ready.

Find a good whiskey bar. It pays off.
AgBQ-00
AG
Enjoyed a glass od Balvenie Doublewood and watched it snow today. Good day to relax
BBRex
AG
I kept the Jura, and I'm into it now. I was drinking better stuff yesterday, but I'm starting early. Bonus I don't need ice.
AgInSingapore
AG
It could have been a one off bad batch, that specific bottle was so tainted with a sulfur funk it could not be consumed. It's been a few years since then so maybe I'll give it another chance.
Post removed:
by user
jwright4288
AG
I am a huge peat lover so I love all the Ardbeg stuff. The uigeadail is fantastic when you are craving peat. I was disappointed with the corryvrecken (for its price vs uigeadail).

Even saying that, Talisker is is my top 5. I desperately want to find a bottle of the 18 to try but the 10 really is a neat perfect scotch. Perfectly balanced and always hits the spot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.