Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,556 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's my quick summary.

Irish is most similar to scotch in that the prominent ingredient is barley. But with Irish, thanks to a tax placed on malted barley way back when, they started mixing malted and unmalted barley (green barley). Irish, like scotch, can take many forms. The most common is pot still. This requires minimum 30% malted barley, minimum 30% unmalted barley, and no more than 5% of any other grains. Must be made in a copper pot still. Has to be double or tripled distilled. Scotch is usually double distilled. The triple is most common for Irish and is said to make it sweeter and smoother. Like scotch, and opposite of bourbon, the filtering removes a lot of the byproducts of the grain. Whereas bourbon will retain a lot of flavor, scotch and Irish remove that stuff. A lot of the higher end Irish is single malt, just like scotch, but blends are a lot more common. Barrel finishing is also common. You are most likely to find honey, cereal, and light fruit flavors in Irish.

The value is usually better as well.

Red Spot can easily compete with Scotch twice its price. You can get 12 year Irish for $35-$50 that competes with the likes of Dalmore 12, Aberlour 12, and Macallen 12. Some of the top Irish are some of the best I've ever had.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea after reading more about Irish whiskeys I had a hankering to try one of the Spot offerings some time!
arrow
AG
mazag08 said:

Red Spot can easily compete with Scotch twice its price. You can get 12 year Irish for $35-$50 that competes with the likes of Dalmore 12, Aberlour 12, and Macallen 12. Some of the top Irish are some of the best I've ever had.
Agree.
arrow
AG

I shared this with my uncle last night. I forgot how great it is. At $65 it actually seems like a good deal considering the increase in Scotch prices this year.
mazag08
AG
I'm in love with all Glenmorangie. Never had that one though. What's it like? Before the tariffs, Glenmorangie 10 used to be an incredible value.
AgInSingapore
AG
You can still grab a handle of Glenmorangie Original for 65 bucks so even with the tariff that's one of the few that don't seem off the wall. Granted i don't think original carries the 10 year statement, but haven't looked that close lately so I may be mistaken. I'm still holding on to a couple dusty bottles of the Burgundy finished bottles they had in standard rotation back in the day, that was my go to from Glenmorangie at the time.
djmeen95
AG
Funny enough we're visiting the in-laws and I grabbed a bottle of Glenmorangie "The Quinta Ruban" 14 year to leave here.

Snagged it for $56 and was mightily impressed with it. Especially given that other scotches around here (like the Balvenie 12) were going for $80.
Cyprian
AG
I'm late to the party, but thumbs up for Irish. I tried a Redbreast Lustau this summer, easy to drink (almost too easy). I've sampled their 15 yr and 12 yr cask strength since then - all were good imo.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Cyprian
AG
My medicine for a long road trip with 2 younglings

-------------
AgBQ-00
AG
Picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 8 YO. Hoping it is even a shadow of the 16.
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
AgBQ-00
AG
Scotchity scotch scotch

It is smoky and peaty. Not over poweringly so though. Not as meaty as the 16 year. Long finish. Salty smoky on the finish.

48 percent ABV. But is not hot. There is sweetness behind the smoke and salt. It is really good. The sweetness is like a ribbon cane syrup dark brown sugar sorghrum/molasses flavors. They ride behind the smoke like if you were cooking the syrup over a wood fire.
AgInSingapore
AG
Parents were over for Thanksgiving so I asked dad what he wanted to open from the collection and he said the Ardbeg I told him about earlier this year. We opened the committee day Blaaack and fired up some cigars, it was a good day.
AgBQ-00
AG
Cragganmore 12 to cap off a win. Ugly win, great scotch, great night!
SpiderDude
AG
For those of you within driving distance of a Twin Liquors... they're having a big scotch sale through Saturday. Lagavulin 16 was $85ish. Laphroaig 10 cask about the same. Highland Park 18 was like $30 off the normal price. Not all but most brands are on sale.
Cyprian
AG
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or

Wow, that's smooth. First time for me.

-------------
Idk3
AG
New addition
Pepper Brooks
AG
Need a recommendation for the FIL for his 70th birthday. Generally likes Glenmorangie but has already had the 20 year.

Budget $150-200.
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
Diggity
AG
Glenfarclas 25, Oban 18, Balvenie 15 or 18,
Cyprian
AG
NTXAg10 said:

Need a recommendation for the FIL for his 70th birthday. Generally likes Glenmorangie but has already had the 20 year.

Budget $150-200.

Has he already tried Glenmorangie Signet? Otherwise, Glendronach 18, Dalmore 18, Aberfeldy 18, 21 are some others.

-------------
Bigfootisreal
I picked one of these, and a Glanfarclas 17, up at Twin on sale tonight. Never had it but anxious to try it. Maybe tomorrow!
Pepper Brooks
AG
Thanks for the recs
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
maverick2076
I've gotten more and more into Islay Scotches this year. As a Christmas present for myself, I picked up a bottle of Bruichladdich's Black Art today. I can't wait to try it over the holidays.
Idk3
AG
Twin Liquors extended their Scotch Sale to the 19th
dsvogel05
AG
Balvenie 17 yr double wood or Abelor 18
jh0400
AG
Balvenie 21 can be found for around $200 occasionally at WB.
Johnsy3
AG
Got a 12 Drams of Christmas box from my mom last year and finally opened it up on Sunday.

Loch Lomond 12
Bowmore 15
anCnoc 12
Speyburn 10
Oban Distiller's Edition
Dalmore 15
Talisker Port Ruighe
Highland Park 18
Jura 18
Auchentoshan 3 Wood
Benriach 21 Temporis
Laphroaig Lore

Really, really excited for the HP21, Laphroaig, and Auchentoshan. I actually haven't had any of these before. I've tried the first 4 so far and easily liked the Bowmore the most - perfectly balanced peat and fruit
John Francis Donaghy
Quote:

Talisker Port Ruighe

Where did your mom get this gift set? Last I knew a few years ago this Talisker was only released in a handful of European countries. Personally, I've only ever found it for sale on Skye, even the big city mainland stores in Scotland didn't have it.
Johnsy3
AG
No idea. It looks like this https://www.lochfynewhiskies.com/12-drams-of-christmas

She originally got it for her boyfriend, but he told her to give it to me because he's pretty much only a Woodford Reserve guy.
Cromagnum
AG
maverick2076 said:

I've gotten more and more into Islay Scotches this year. As a Christmas present for myself, I picked up a bottle of Bruichladdich's Black Art today. I can't wait to try it over the holidays.

Damn son, you spent some coin on that one. Let us know if its even remotely near worth the asking cost.
John Francis Donaghy
Well enjoy it man. There's some pretty fantastic stuff in there. The Port Ruighe is one of my all time favorites and not easy to get in the states. I'd bet the BenRiach Temporis pretty great too. I haven't had that particular offering, but I've has lots of similar releases from BenRiach and they've all been fantastic, that combination of heavy peat plus sherry aging is something BenRiach does very well.

Cromagnum
AG
Wife came home with a surprise today.

Johnsy3
AG
Never had a glenrothes I didn't like. Haven't tried the 18 yet but that looks great.
mazag08
AG
By the way,

Specs has 4 different barrel picks of Edradour. All are 10 years or more. $125-$165 range.
Cromagnum
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Never had a glenrothes I didn't like. Haven't tried the 18 yet but that looks great.

This one could benefit from opening up a bit by breathing, but is far smoother than other Glenrothes I've tried before. It's sherry assertive, but in a good way like an old Glenfarclas 21, not like an overdone Macallan. Will try with a drop of water tomorrow and put better impressions up when my palate is up for it.
Cromagnum
AG
mazag08 said:

By the way,

Specs has 4 different barrel picks of Edradour. All are 10 years or more. $125-$165 range.

I tried one of those a couple years ago versus standard Edradour. If you like a spicier sherry profile, this is what you buy.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.