Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,507 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you like that Uigeadail, grab a bottle of Springbank 12 sometime. Its oily, somewhat smokey, somewhat briney, but balanced. From the same distillery is Hazelburn which is not peated, and Longrow which is peated more heavily.

Talisker Distillers Edition may also be worth a look as it gets the sherry treatment like the Uigeadail, but its around $100
lazuras_dc
AG
I'm a big fan of speysides (macallan) And recently had a good highlands. (Aberfeldy). Not a fan of the Peaty islays. Wanting to try lowlands. Looks like the common brand is Glenkinchie. Anyone had experience. How is it ?
John Francis Donaghy
GlenKitichie is just ok to me, but I admit lowlands aren't my favorite. They remind me of Irish whiskey in that they are perfectly fine, unobjectionable pours, but nothing about them really stands out as being worth buying again.
Cromagnum
AG
Have not tried Glenkinchie either, but do like Auchentosan.
mazag08
AG
I've heard great things about Eden Mill and their hip flask series, but I've never found one.
lazuras_dc
AG
good to know. Thanks !
Bigfootisreal
Saw an Oban 18 this weekend. Anybody had it? I love the 14 was wondering if the 18 was worth the extra $?
Hootie
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

Saw an Oban 18 this weekend. Anybody had it? I love the 14 was wondering if the 18 was worth the extra $?
I think the 14 is the sweet spot in that line-up. My personal opinion only, but I don't believe the 18 is worth the extra $$
mazag08
AG
Getting about that time for my next bottle. Here's what I've bought in the last 6 months..

Aberlour A'bunadh
Edradour 10
Balvenie Caribbean
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Oban Little Bay
Oban 14
Talisker 10
Dalmore 12

You guys have given me great recs recently. I'm thinking I want something different this time. Little to no peat, no sherry.

I'm thinking Highland Park 12, Clynelish 14, or Old Pulteney 12. Willing to take other suggestions as well.
John Francis Donaghy
If you're after something different then the Old Pulteney is your answer out of those three.

Highland Park and Clynelish are both great buys as well, but the Highland Park has a definite peat element, light but noticable. And the Clynelish is very similar to Oban. So if something different with little to no peat is your goal, I'd go Old Pulteney.
Cromagnum
AG
mazag08 said:

Getting about that time for my next bottle. Here's what I've bought in the last 6 months..

Aberlour A'bunadh
Edradour 10
Balvenie Caribbean
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Oban Little Bay
Oban 14
Talisker 10
Dalmore 12

You guys have given me great recs recently. I'm thinking I want something different this time. Little to no peat, no sherry.

I'm thinking Highland Park 12, Clynelish 14, or Old Pulteney 12. Willing to take other suggestions as well.

No peat or sherry? Try Dalwhinnie 15 (bottom right corner)

The plot is not comprehensive but a decent guide

mazag08
AG
It's at the bottom right. Is that inaccurate?
Cromagnum
AG
mazag08 said:

It is. I had a brain fart. Dalwhinnie is a good clean tasting light scotch.
mazag08
AG
Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

Thanks for the rec. If it's close to the Glenmorangie 10 than I'd probably be a fan.
mazag08
AG
Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

Thanks for the rec. If it's close to the Glenmorangie 10 than I'd probably be a fan.
Cromagnum
AG
mazag08 said:

Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

Smoother from what I can recall. You get a good taste of the barley itself without smoke and sherry covering it up.
GIF Reactor
AG
arrow said:

Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or
Balvenie 12 or 15
And Oban 14 if you haven't already. (My favorite)
I really like the Balvenie Caribbean Cask. How does Glenmorangie Nectar D'or compare to that? Also wanting to try the Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve.
AgInSingapore
AG
If you like Ardbeg, this is pretty impressive. Been waiting for it to hit the stores and grabbed 2 today. Young and in your face with a looong finish. At 35 bucks and part of the core range, this will certainly remain in the rotation.
Scotts Tot
AG
Tell me more! How does it compare to the Ten and Oogie?
Cyprian
AG
Fun thread, I read most of it. I'm working on a Glenmorangie 18 yr now. Very clean and smooth, easy to drink, but real safe flavor-wise as well.

I have got some good recommendations from here to try out, thanks for everyone that contributed.
AgInSingapore
AG
Lots of wet ash and maybe black licorice on the nose, possibly some pineapple rind thats been on the counter for a day as well. Coal dust too. Taste is powerful, loads of sweet, peat and smoke, also get some good grilled beef fat coating on the tounge. It is exactly what I want a 5 year Ardbeg to be, not as smooth and reserved as the 10 year but by no means missing the Ardbeg base flavors. I'm very happy to sit in the dark and drink the entire bottle seeing as how my power is out, haha. At this price point I'm not remotely upset about that.... Might be the best young Islay whisky I've had.
AgInSingapore
AG
Lots of wet ash and maybe black licorice on the nose, possibly some pineapple rind thats been on the counter for a day as well. Coal dust too. Taste is powerful, loads of sweet, peat and smoke, also get some good grilled beef fat coating on the tounge. It is exactly what I want a 5 year Ardbeg to be, not as smooth and reserved as the 10 year but by no means missing the Ardbeg base flavors. I'm very happy to sit in the dark and drink the entire bottle seeing as how my power is out, haha. At this price point I'm not remotely upset about that.... Might be the best young Islay whisky I've had.
Cromagnum
AG
The name alone is worth the price of admission. I may have to pick one up if I ever see it.
Scotts Tot
AG
Looks to be available at my local TW for $36
AgInSingapore
AG
I ran up to my office in The Woodlands yesterday and stopped at the Total Wine there and that is where i found it.
Cyprian
AG
Tried Glendronach 12 for the first time, and it's a great pour for the money. This will become a regular I think.
mazag08
AG
Cyprian said:

Tried Glendronach 12 for the first time, and it's a great pour for the money. This will become a regular I think.

I think I've said this before, but back in March I was trying it for the first time and was mid sip when I got the call from my wife that our son was on his way (he wasn't expected for 6 more hours and the FIL was buying me dinner and a scotch). I had to chug the rest and jog down the street back to the delivery room, but what I remember was it was pretty good.

Anyway, it is now a staple in my liquor cabinet and will be the first scotch I let my son try in 21 (likely sooner) years.
GIF Reactor
AG
Found this pronunciation guide so us scotch novices know how to say them and not feel like so much of an idiot.
AgInSingapore
AG
This is boring to me. Just falls flat, like a muted fiddich 12 year old. There is an interesting light vanilla extract flavor and some malty sweetness on the palate as well but not enough to make me want to go back for more.
Idk3
AG
Watch "Scotch - a story of Whiskey" on AMZN Prime. You'll learn that blending is pretty damn impressive and is a historical method of whiskey crafting

Try Monkey shoulder if you haven't already
AgInSingapore
AG
After some searching I completed the GoT collection. Disregard the empty humidor, I'll fill it at some point when needed.
Furlock Bones
AG
After picking up a Bunnahabhain 12 a few weeks back and really, really enjoying it. I snagged this at Specs. Special occasion Scotch.

Hootie
AG
I have a couple of those Duncan Taylor's (a 22 year old Tormore single malt and a 29 year old Strathclyde single grain) and they are great. Definitely special occasion scotches.
AgInSingapore
AG
Thanks Total Wine. I'll need a good occasion to open this one.
jh0400
AG
That's by far my favorite Ardbeg.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.