Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,503 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
ziggity06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
anyone else waiting for the weather to cools off so we can drink peaty scotch outside by the fire?
John Francis Donaghy
Does anyone know of a good specialty scotch shop in DFW? One that goes out of their way to stock limited release bottlings. Not the super high-end rare stuff, but more of the one-off experimentals, or other smaller releases in the $100-$300 range.

Big box stores near me lately just have lot of usual suspects, and then a handful of the absurdly priced 30+ year old stuff in the fancy display cases. Not really interested in those.
V8Aggie
AG
ziggity06 said:

anyone else waiting for the weather to cools off so we can drink peaty scotch outside by the fire?
Heading down to Carrizo Springs tomorrow. Just hit the liquor store during my lunch break to stock up on campfire booze for this cooler weather.

Unfortunately, the dove hunt will be ****, but that's fine. I get to drink with the guys around a campfire all night with my yellow lab by my side.

You have no idea how I excited I am to get out of Houston.
The Grinder (99)
AG
That seems like a really good price. And I agree, it is good quality for that price for sure.

I had a great opportunity to go to the Tomatin distillery for a tasting in mid September this year. The 12 was great along with most of what they had. Got to try several there.
We his three distilleries that day (en route from Inverness to Troon), Tomatin was probymy favorite. Definitely the nicest experience with the friendliest staff and most generous pours
rshackelford
AG
Cromagnum said:

Shout out to Ralfy who some folks may not be aware of. He has over 700 review videos up. Sounds like an awful job.

Ralfy is a great American....err....Scott. You can learn more from his reviews than just about any other source out there.
Bigfootisreal
Ok looking for ideas. My scotch experience is:
High school- J&B mixed with 7up.
After college- Chivas with my wife's grandfather.
30s- Tried a couple (glenmorengie) bottles and passed off to my fil. Then stuck with bourbon!

Flash forward to late 40s and drinking bourbon has become pricey and I am not into chasing the next "hot" thing in bourbon. I stick with buffalo trace to mix and Blantons or Basil Haydens to drink on rocks.
However, found a bottle of Monkey Shoulder scotch and gave it a go- really enjoyed it (and it was $22 to boot) neat and with a couple of ice cubes. Now thinking on expanding my drinking to include scotch so looking for bottles that are available here in Texas up to $50-60. Thoughts?
djmeen95
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

30s- Tried a couple (glenmorengie) bottles and passed off to my fil. Then stuck with bourbon!

Flash forward to late 40s and drinking bourbon has become pricey and I am not into chasing the next "hot" thing in bourbon. I stick with buffalo trace to mix and Blantons or Basil Haydens to drink on rocks.
However, found a bottle of Monkey Shoulder scotch and gave it a go- really enjoyed it (and it was $22 to boot) neat and with a couple of ice cubes. Now thinking on expanding my drinking to include scotch so looking for bottles that are available here in Texas up to $50-60. Thoughts?

So here's a small list of scotches I enjoy in that price range. Am sure folks will have more suggestions.

Prices below are from Total Wine website (love that store) and should give ya an idea of what you should be paying for these

• Glenfiddich 14 yr Bourbon Barrel Reserve - $45.99
  • Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood - $47.99
  • Glenlivet 12 yr - $49.99
  • Springbank 10 yr - $53.99
  • Talisker 10 yr - $59.99

All of these, in my opinion, are easy drinking, lovely scotches. Threw in the Glenfiddich 14 since you mentioned you've been enjoying bourbon for awhile now. I have a bottle of that one that I got as a "traveler exclusive" when I was in an airport in London and I think the price point on this wider release is really nice. Debated whether to include the Glenlivet or not - I really enjoy the Glenlivet 18 but that price point is a bit higher - but it's a solid scotch that shouldn't offend anyone. Love Springbank - all their stuff. Talisker 10 is another one I enjoy but I think the price has crept up a little in recent years.

Anyway - plenty of choices! If ya get a chance, try some of them out at a bar or, better yet, at a buddy's house then go with whatever you like most. Enjoy whatever you go with.
BigAg95
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

I'd steer you toward blended scotch based on what you say you like generally. Can't go wrong with Johnnie Walker black ($27), but in your price range check out the Green ($45) and the Gold Reserve ($55). I am also a fan of Black Grouse, it's a steal at around $25. If you want to try single malt, I second the Balvenie Doublewood recommendation.
Bigfootisreal
Appreciate the responses. Will have to check out some this weekend and report back! Thanks!
TxSquarebody
Not a great day for Aggie football, but a damn fine day none the less!
Floor it until you see God
djmeen95
AG
Nice way to cope with what just happened. In fact - I think I'm about to do the same.
djmeen95
AG

Screw football this week. Scotch is at least dependable.
REMARCH11
AG
Gig 1995 said:

Hard to beat this

Leave and never come back!!! Glenlevit is **** scotch!! Its for U.S. export only.
God,....I really hate the sips!
Johnsy3
AG
Not sure if I've posted before as I have only perused this thread, but I recently picked up two scotches on opposite ends of the spectrum

1) I don't have much experience with Islay scotches as peatiness isn't my favorite thing, but The Laphroaig 10 cask strength is great.

2) Aberlour A'bunadh. This has been on my bucket list for a while and definitely didn't disappoint! Also 60.8% ABV.
arrow
AG
I haven't posted here in a while...we need to keep the scotch conversation going.

I just purchased a bottle of Highland Park 18 for $115. It's the first 18 yo bottle I've bought for myself. It should do fine through the holidays.

My current cabinet has Oban 14, Macallan 12, and Highland Park 18. Not too shabby.

I agree with djmeen95 regarding $50 bottles. Balvenie 12, Talisker 10, and Springbank 10 are all excellent.
Old School Rucking
AG
arrow said:

I just purchased a bottle of Highland Park 18.

Excellent choice. Can't go wrong with a classic.
FlyFish95
Uncle Boo Boo said:

arrow said:

I just purchased a bottle of Highland Park 18.

Excellent choice. Can't go wrong with a classic.
HP 18 is a good one for sure. One of my favorite bottles is Glendronach 15.
drred4
If you have am extra Glendronach 15 let me know. That is one I never got to partake
John Francis Donaghy
GlenDronachs aren't always readily available at every store, but if you live in a good size metro, a few phone calls will usually be all you need to find whatever of their offerings you want sitting on shelf relatively close by. The 15 shouldn't be hard to find.
Cromagnum
AG
Picked up a bottle of Springbank 12 cask strength the other day. Really great with 1-2 drops of water.

For anyone that likes some sherry, but not a bomb, get Macallan Double Cask. They barrel it in a sherry barrel and also a 1st pass oak barrel so it has that good Macallan flavor profile, but much less sherry influence. It's also less than $60.

drred4
John Francis Donaghy said:

GlenDronachs aren't always readily available at every store, but if you live in a good size metro, a few phone calls will usually be all you need to find whatever of their offerings you want sitting on shelf relatively close by. The 15 shouldn't be hard to find.

They have not made the 15 for several years, but since I saw you post this I thought hmmm. I have not been to my local stops lately due to some unfortuante things. I see the 15 is back in production now. I gave up after a year or more looking for it. Guess I will be making some calls tomorrow. Thanks
FarmersFightAg
AG
arrow said:

I haven't posted here in a while...we need to keep the scotch conversation going.

I just purchased a bottle of Highland Park 18 for $115. It's the first 18 yo bottle I've bought for myself. It should do fine through the holidays.

My current cabinet has Oban 14, Macallan 12, and Highland Park 18. Not too shabby.

I agree with djmeen95 regarding $50 bottles. Balvenie 12, Talisker 10, and Springbank 10 are all excellent.
I just finished a bottle of Highland Park 18 over the past weekend. Wonderful bottle of scotch, just really sad that its gone...
ziggity06
Anyone in Houston going to see the Ardbeg Bus?
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
My current scotch selection. Nothing earth shattering, but I do love me some Laphroaig 10 and Laga16.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
djmeen95
AG
Nice collection - and love me some Oban 14!
arrow
AG
Very nice assortment. Something from Balvenie, Talisker, and Springbank and you could probably even survive the holidays.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG

Don't buy this. It sucks.
John Francis Donaghy
Ouch. They dont need marketing gimmicks to sell the good stuff.

I learned my lesson with the Ron Burgundy scotch a while a back.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Ouch. They dont need marketing gimmicks to sell the good stuff.

I learned my lesson with the Ron Burgundy scotch a while a back.
It actually not THAT bad... it's just $15 more expensive than it would be if it didn't have the GOT tie in.
jh0400
AG
I got an Ardbeg Grooves as a Christmas gift from a coworker today. The wine finish is interesting. As far as special releases go, it's better than Kelpie but not as good as Dark Cove.
Johnsy3
AG
Wife picked me up a sampler box that had 50mL bottles of Balvenie 12, 15, and 21

Real excited to try the 21 because I'd probably never spend the money to buy a bottle
Hootie
AG
I'm a bourbon drinker, but wanted to add a scotch to my cabinet. I purchased a Glendronach 12 based on the recommendations in this thread. Thank you to all who recommended it...it is fabulous. I fear my bottle will not last long as I enjoyed several while watching the Aggies win last night.
drred4
That was the first scotch I tried and that is what hooked me. I have a Balvenie Portwood 21 that I opened about a half year ago. I was dissapointed in the first pour. I took my second pour Christmas eve. Boy has my mind changed. That is some good juice. I guess with a little breath and a splash of water man
samsal75
AG
Just opened a Glendronach Revival 15 and should have bought two bottles!! I never did try the 2015 so can't compare it to this 'new' recipe but it doesn't matter; this new stuff is really good. You won't be disappointed. Will try to get another bottle tomorrow or at least get one ordered!!
drred4
That's good to know. I got a couple bottles and just have not opened yet. Sipping on other things. Have a Glenlivet Nadurra in Oloroso open now. Love it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.