Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,514 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
beb06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Try the Bunnahabhain. It's one of my favorites for sure of the 20+ bottles I have at my house.

Opened compass box flaming heart a few weeks ago and really like it. Some peat, but not too extreme.
aggiebq03+
Picked up a Highland Park 12 on sale at specs for $35. Great price these days for a quality product. Also found they had Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel back in stock so has to get one. Still as good as I remember.
rshackelford
AG
Flaming heart is just wonderful. One of the few blends out there that can absolutely stand up to just about any single malt
HTownAg98
Uncle Boo Boo said:

HTownAg98 said:

Picked up another bottle of the Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban. If someone knows of another port finished scotch available in the states, please let me know

Balvenie 21 Port Wood is nice, but pricey.

Tyrconnell 10 Port Cast is a tasty dram if your open to an Irish whiskey.

I prefer the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban to either of these, especially for the money.

Have you tried the Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or? Amazing whisky with a Sauternes finish.

I picked up a Nectar d'Or yesterday.
Old School Rucking
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Good man! Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Whoop04
Pale Rider said:

Seems like the blends are frowned upon more, or maybe that's just a scotch snob thing?

[This message has been edited by Pale Rider (edited 8/25/2013 12:29p).]

A big part of drinking beer, wine, bourbon, scotch, etc is the story. And the story behind single barrel anything is more compelling, unique, and mysterious. There is a vocal element of drinkers that look down on blends, but there are plenty of very serious scotch drinkers that appreciate the craft of blending and appreciate the consistency.

And if/when you have your first peaty scotch and are completely turned off, persevere. Its an acquired and greatly preferred taste for many of us. But it might take a couple bottles to get it.
jah003
S
Looking to get my FIL a bottle of something in the $50-$100 range for his birthday. I know absolutely nothing about Scotch. I do know that he loves Bourbon and pretty much any Scotch out there. Any recommendations?
Whoop04
Aberlour Abunadh
Jaydoug
AG
Scotch : Tailsker 10 yr. Only distillery on the isle of sky. Yum.

Whiskey: WhistlePig 10yr Straight Rye

Bourbon: Angel's Envy

arrow
AG
My current favorite is Oban 14. It fits in the middle of your price range and is pretty easy to find.
jah003
S
Thanks for all the recs. Gonna head to Total Wine after work today.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Dammit Jah, making me post in the wrong thread! Assumed this was the beer one.
jh0400
AG
jah003 said:

Looking to get my FIL a bottle of something in the $50-$100 range for his birthday. I know absolutely nothing about Scotch. I do know that he loves Bourbon and pretty much any Scotch out there. Any recommendations?

I'd go in a different direction and get him one of the cask finished Belle Meade bourbons. They can be had for $70 or so. I've had all three (Cognac, Sherry, and Madeira) and would recommend the Madeira if you can find it.

ETA: It shows to be in stock at the Bee Cave and Arbor Walk Spec's. It looks like the price went up, too. It's now $83 on the website.
Whoop04
Balcones Single Malt is another good gift option. It's a Texas whiskey and the best made in this state IMO.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Jah,

These are excellent bourbons. I'll echo this sentiment.
jah003
S
jh0400 said:

jah003 said:

I'd go in a different direction and get him one of the cask finished Belle Meade bourbons. They can be had for $70 or so. I've had all three (Cognac, Sherry, and Madeira) and would recommend the Madeira if you can find it.

ETA: It shows to be in stock at the Bee Cave and Arbor Walk Spec's. It looks like the price went up, too. It's now $83 on the website.
Thanks for the rec. My FIL and I have gone through most of the available Bourbons together, but I haven't seen that one yet. Still debating if I should go for Scotch or Bourbon.
HTownAg98
Uncle Boo Boo said:

HTownAg98 said:

Finally cracked this open. I like this, but not as much as the Quinta Ruban. I get a lot of citrus and wet gravel on the finish. It's a little odd for my taste.
John Francis Donaghy
arrow said:

My current favorite is Oban 14. It fits in the middle of your price range and is pretty easy to find.
If you like Oban 14, and are looking for a little variety try Clynelish 14, it has the same kind of light peat smoke that the Oban has and at about the same price. I don't think either is "better" than the other, but if you like the one, you'll probably like the other just as well.
arrow
AG
Thanks for the rec. Total Wine lists it at $10 under Oban 14. I'll have to try it.
FlyFish95
HTownAg98 said:

Uncle Boo Boo said:

HTownAg98 said:

Finally cracked this open. I like this, but not as much as the Quinta Ruban. I get a lot of citrus and wet gravel on the finish. It's a little odd for my taste.
Not a huge fan of Glenmorangie. They just seem to throw crap against the wall and see what happens. I'm a much bigger fan of doing less, but doing it very well.
Whoop04
What did you get?
jah003
S
Whoop04 said:

What did you get?
I went rogue and got the Balvenie Doublewood.
Old School Rucking
AG
I tried my first dram of Bunnahabhain 18. Wow, this stuff is good.
rshackelford
AG
Uncle Boo Boo said:

I tried my first dram of Bunnahabhain 18. Wow, this stuff is good.

Man. Still haven't tried mine yet. It's in my locker at work. All the scotch snob/professional drinker reviews of it say it's decent but rush distilled and a little abrasive at first, but all the average joe drinker reviews (more like me) seems to really think it's something special. I need to crack it open and give it a go. I tend to rate things higher than the pros do. I'm easily impressed I guess
Average Joe
AG
Does anyone know where I can get a bottle of the Glenfiddich Winter Storm 21yo and how much it would run me? I haven't been able to locate a bottle.
drred4
Had some Balvenie 15 single barrel sherry cask was real nice, tried The Macallan 15 yr fine oak as well. Anyone have suggestions for Balvenie, Macallan, glendronach, Arbelour, Glenmorangie possibly others. Something that if you saw on shelf and not overpriced that you would pick up. Kinda talking like if a GTS, blanton, ECBP, or pappy were found on the shelf you would grab. I know Scotch is not quite as crazy as the bourbon scene is currently in Texas.

Example is I picked up a bottle of Old Pulteney 21 as I am pretty sure that they are not producing that any more. Say Glenmorangie Signet, Glendronach Parliament. Suggestions

Not sure why the smiley face on the post. I did not select
SeMgCo87
AG
drred4 said:

Had some Balvenie 15 single barrel sherry cask was real nice, tried The Macallan 15 yr fine oak as well. Anyone have suggestions for Balvenie, Macallan, glendronach, Arbelour, Glenmorangie possibly others. Something that if you saw on shelf and not overpriced that you would pick up. Kinda talking like if a GTS, blanton, ECBP, or pappy were found on the shelf you would grab. I know Scotch is not quite as crazy as the bourbon scene is currently in Texas.

Example is I picked up a bottle of Old Pulteney 21 as I am pretty sure that they are not producing that any more. Say Glenmorangie Signet, Glendronach Parliament. Suggestions

I just found this thread...couldn't believe I would find a thread on Scotch on TexAgs.

Looks like you seem to prefer SM in the center of the chart back a few pages. My wife and I like that as well. You might try Edradour 10, it has a clean bite to it. I visited the Edradour distillery back in 2002...was smallest in the world. About 200' long. We have tended to stay in the $70 -$150 range, simply because the taste is cleaner, and you can get some pretty potent single malts, like 57% strong.

Glenmorangie, finished in Port or Sherry casks is good. Nectar D'oro is great, so is Bacalta, which we are currently working on, along with Arran 18.

Dalmore 18, Glenfidditch 18 good also.

We avoid Speyside, as it tends to be a bit "peaty". You will also find that an increasing amount of single malts are not carrying an age year (like the Bacalta above). Yeah, we are disappointed, too. Don't know how old it is. At least there still Single Malts and Blends.

Good luck in your Scotch pursuits.
drred4
Thanks, I need to try the Bacalta, have wanted to try the Dalmore brand as well. Get hung in a rut sometimes on some I really like and do not want to branch out
SeMgCo87
AG
Dang, I forgot to mention Aberfeldy, 18 or 21. It is right at the $150 mark, but worth it.
rshackelford
AG
SeMgCo87 said:

drred4 said:

I just found this thread...couldn't believe I would find a thread on Scotch on TexAgs.

Looks like you seem to prefer SM in the center of the chart back a few pages. My wife and I like that as well. You might try Edradour 10, it has a clean bite to it. I visited the Edradour distillery back in 2002...was smallest in the world. About 200' long. We have tended to stay in the $70 -$150 range, simply because the taste is cleaner, and you can get some pretty potent single malts, like 57% strong.

Glenmorangie, finished in Port or Sherry casks is good. Nectar D'oro is great, so is Bacalta, which we are currently working on, along with Arran 18.

Dalmore 18, Glenfidditch 18 good also.

We avoid Speyside, as it tends to be a bit "peaty". You will also find that an increasing amount of single malts are not carrying an age year (like the Bacalta above). Yeah, we are disappointed, too. Don't know how old it is. At least there still Single Malts and Blends.

Good luck in your Scotch pursuits.

I think you're mistaking Speyside for Islay. Speyside is the Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Macallan (kinda boders on highland), Aberlour (also borders on highland), Glenmorangie, ect...Known for having citrusy, lighter, sweeter, often sherry finished scotch. Rarely do speysiders feature peated malts and if they do, its a special edition limited release type deal.

The island distilleries, particularly the island of Islay are the ones that feature heavy peat levels in the malt. Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Caol Ila, Talisker, Highland Park, ect. Those typically feature heavy smoke, iodine, vegetal, savory, salty type flavors.
SeMgCo87
AG
Quote:

I think you're mistaking Speyside for Islay.
Yeah, you're right. I always forget about Islay, but I know that the peaty taste is always bitter to me.

Thanks for the correction!
Leanderthal
I bought a bottle of Cardhu after I heard it is the backbone of the Johnnie Walker Black recipe. I like it (can't find a scotch I don't like is my problem)! It has a nose of ripe red apple and it is very clean, mellow, and smooth. It is a nice change of pace from sherry bombs and peat monsters.

I want to try some Aberfeldy next since that is the core spirit in Dewars 12 blend.

Thanks to this thread I finally bought some Glendronach 12. It seems like a cranked up Macallan12 with almost bourbon-level oakyness in the nose. Very tasty.
drred4
Had a pour of Glenmorangie Signet last night. Wow was it smooth. Choclate was very present. Will have to buy a bottle to have a pour on special occasions
Gladiator 96
AG
Made my first foray into Scotch this weekend with McClelland's Highland. Not the most high end stuff but I enjoyed it.
RCR06
AG
Aberlour is the correct answer 12, 18, abundah.

Honestly, everyone likes what they like. If you've never had it give aberlour a try.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.