Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,485 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No I don't consider Balvenie a peaty scotch, but there are hints of it. Granted I tend to lean towards the more peaty, smoky scotchs (Laphroaig and Bowmore) so my palate may be a bit biased, but still I wouldn't call it peaty.

I think it's very well rounded scotch with some nice flavors that aren't overpowering.
John Francis Donaghy
I think he was calling the Jura peaty. Not the Balvenie.
edwardsk2003
AG
quote:
I think he was calling the Jura peaty. Not the Balvenie.
you're correct... I completely missed that part of it.
HTownAg98
Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban to replace the bottle of The Dalmore 12 that is almost empty.
dummble
AG
It's Cool

And the Jura is awesome.
FlyFish95
quote:
Picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban to replace the bottle of The Dalmore 12 that is almost empty.
Next time look into Glendronach 12.
HTownAg98
Will do. I'm just getting started in the scotch world. I'm trying to stay away from the lighter end of the spectrum, but I don't want peaty scotches.
dsvogel05
AG
I'm a big fan of the Glenmorangie's, but next time you're looking for a new bottle, look at Aberlour 16 year or their A'Bunadh.

My wife and I were give a bottle of Glenrothes 1998, and it's really smooth, but lacks on the finish. Not a bad drink for the price, but it's another option if you are just getting started in drinking Scotch.
HTownAg98
My sole reasoning for avoiding the lighter scotches is that based on the flavor profiles I've read, it looks like they would be similar to Irish whisky, and I already drink plenty of RedBreast. I want something a little richer and fuller bodied, so I went with the Dalmore, and I'll likely stay on that end of the spectrum.
I greatly appreciate everyone's advice.
John Francis Donaghy
Dry Fly has you covered with GlenDronach. Probably the richest fullest scotch line on the market dollar for dollar. Fantastic stuff.

And if anybody knows of a richer one, I'd love to hear it so I can buy a bottle on the way home tonight.
FlyFish95
The only way I know to improve on the Glendronach 12 is to get the 15.
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
The only way I know to improve on the Glendronach 12 is to get the 15.

The 18 is great as well, but I dont think it's enough of a difference to justify the extra cost.

If you ever get the chance, try one of their Cask Strength private bottlings. Best whisky on the planet.
FlyFish95
If I can find it...
John Francis Donaghy
Yeah, you do have to go to Scotland to get.

Legally anyway.
HTownAg98
quote:
quote:
Next time look into Glendronach 12.

Well I'm excited now, because I just opened the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, and it's pretty damn tasty. I could get used to this.
FlyFish95
I hear ya. I'm a big fan of Sherry cask stuff.
GIF Reactor
AG
Curious if anyone made the twin liquors sale? I bought 2 bottles of carribean cask for $56 each. Not bad.
HTownAg98
quote:
Curious if anyone made the twin liquors sale? I bought 2 bottles of carribean cask for $56 each. Not bad.

That is when I make the majority of my liquor purchases. They do the sale quarterly, so there's ample opportunities throughout the year to stock up.
MW03
AG
What's the board's thoughts on Dalwhinnie 15?
FlyFish95
Not a fan
John Francis Donaghy
quote:
What's the board's thoughts on Dalwhinnie 15?

Not bad. Very light and "smooth", which is scotch speak for easy to sip, but not a lot of flavor. Which can be a good thing if that's what you're looking for, but will disappoint you if you're expecting something distinctive.

The distillery is beautiful though out is a remote area with nothing else around. Found it by accident a few years ago, so I pulled off and took a walk around.
FlyFish95
Agree, not much depth or flavor
ChipFTAC01
AG
Had a lovely glass of Grouse for a nightcap. Dropped a piece of fancy dark chocolate in the bottom of it before I finished it and it made both the chocolate and scotch better.
AgInSingapore
AG
It is what I would give someone if they say they don't like single malt whisky. I know lots of folks will say Balvenie Caribbean Cask is what they will go with if someone says they don't like single malt but the sweetness of that whisky isn't what I associate with a traditional single malt.
beb06
AG
Recently been loving Bunnahabhain 12 and 18. Highly recommend for anyone that hasn't had them before.
BQ08
AG
Scored a Laphroiag Cairdeas 2012 at a mom and pop liquor store for $60.
OCEN99
AG
quote:
Recently been loving Bunnahabhain 12 and 18. Highly recommend for anyone that hasn't had them before.
Just finished my first bottle of the 12 last night, and I completely agree.
rshackelford
AG
Ive had my eye on the Bunnahabhain 18 for a while now. It's not as easy to find though as some others. How would it compare in quality to, say, the Aberlour 18? I know Aberlour loves their chill filtration and caramel coloring, opposite of Bunnahabhain, but they're in a similar age and price range.
wasabi1787
AG

A man can dream
rshackelford
AG
I bet that is lovely. An uncharacteristic clear bottle from Laphroaig
jh0400
AG
Cairdeas is in a clear bottle as well.
rshackelford
AG
Well F me. I've only ever seen their green bottles
FightinAggie07
AG
I'm late to discover this thread... there are a lot of great recommendations here, so I have a short list of things I now want to try! I got into Scotch a couple of years ago, and at first I preferred the smooth Speyside offerings. I now consider myself more of a peat-head, and gravitate towards Islays, other Island Scotches, and Highlands. Most Speysides now are a bit too boring for me, but I'm learning that the good, mature ones are still worth trying and I hope to identify a favorite to keep on the shelf for diversity.

Just got back from a 6 day trip to Scotland. If anyone else plans to go, here are some notes:

- The Scotch Whisky Experience is Edinburgh is worth doing. I did the "Gold" level for 25 which includes tastings of 5 whiskies (a flight consisting of a Lowland, Highland, Speyside, and Islay) + another option. For my other tasting I chose a Campbelltown as I've never had one before. Forgive me for not having the names of those that I tried - I have them recorded at home. The tour also includes a viewing of the largest private collection of Scotch in the world, which is really cool to see. You can purchase additional tastings from the bar after the tour has concluded, and of course they have a shop as well if you want to purchase any bottles.

- The Talisker distillery tour was a bit too touristy/commercial for my tastes, though I was happy to learn I'm a fan of most of their whiskies and I'll likely buy a bottle of the 57 in the near future. I was disappointed I could not purchase more tastings after the tour. Since they have the same corporate overlord as Lagavulin and they offered a 5 discount, I took a bottle of the 16 home with me for when I finish my current one. I still haven't found another Scotch to supplant it as my favorite!

- The Edradour distillery tour was MUCH better. It used to be the smallest distiller in Scotland, so it has a much more personal feel. They allow you to walk among their casks in the warehouse, which I hear is pretty rare among the larger distilleries. There's also a bar with tons of rare offering to purchase at the conclusion of the tour. I enjoyed their whiskies, particularly the Ballechin (their peaty offering), the cask strength sherry-aged, and the Super-Tuscan.

- I also received my first tastes of Jura 16, Oban, Macallan, and Dalwhinnie 15 in the various pubs, and I enjoyed each of those.

Slinte mhath!

edwardsk2003
AG
Dundee Dels - Omaha, NE

http://www.dundeedell.com/scotch.html

Melsean was great.

When they gave us the list of single malts at the bar... my coworker said.. "That's not a list... that's a book." and it was...

These were the three i tried:

John Francis Donaghy
I love Talisker whiskies, haven't done the tour, but I walked around for the distillery a bit when I was on Skye a few years back. The whole island is beautiful.

Unfortunately, the Talisker 57 Degree North is a duty free only offering. So you'll likely have to wait until the next time you fly international to pick one up. I have about half a bottle left now, and I'm rationing it to try to make it last until my next international trip.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.