Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,458 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
E King Trill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I was kind of pissed when I realized how similar it was to my first purchase. What should I try for my next one that is a little darker and has a different flavor profile?
Whoop04

Reference this chart and just try different areas and find you favorites. The ones on the chart are generally descent choices from what I gather (I have only had 8 or 9 from it).
I am a fan of aberlours though if you are looking for something with the sherry profile.
Whoop04
quote:
Any reviews on Caol Ila? That might be my next bottle.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread. I haven't had it but it's a smokey islay scotch.
GregZeppelin
AG
Will.Johnson, the first thing to know about scotch is that it varies greatly in flavor profile depending on where in Scotland it was produced.

Macallen is a highland, and Glenlivet is a speyside (which is essentially a subcategory of highland), both tend to be sweet, smooth, and drinkable. Most scotches are from these regions.

Islays, Campbelltowns, Lowlands, and Island malts will give you very different profiles than Highland/Speysides. Almost like drinking a different spirit altogether.

Island malts tend to be powerful and peaty with hints of the ocean.

Campbelltowns are briny and almost salty like tequila.

Islays are incredibly smoky and peaty, almost like drinking a campfire, if you can imagine that.

Lowlands are known for being very balanced overall, but there aren't many on the market.

My advice would be to try out each region, and get a feel for what they offer, and then branch out into finished scotches (sherry finish, port cask finish, amarone cask finish, rum cask finish, etc.). It'll also keep you from buying scotches that taste too similar to one another, like your first two bottles.
BurnetAggie99
^
Spot on insight. I don't like anything from the Islands or Islay. They whole peaty thing is not for me. If you can find it look for some St. Magdalene scotch. St. Magdalene is no longer making Scotch but their stuff can be found. Great Lowland scotch. Currently only 2 Lowland scotch makers.

[This message has been edited by Burnetaggie99 (edited 2/17/2014 9:32a).]
E King Trill
AG
Thanks
Flaith
AG
Will,

Try one of these for something in your price range that will allow you to sample different regions:

Highland Park 12 or Talisker 10 - Islands (these are awesome whiskys)

Bowmore 12 or Bruichladdich 10 - Islay (if you like these, go directly to Laguvulin 16. It's above the entry level price rance, but it is worth it, and Ron Swanson agrees with me)

Auchentoshan or Glenkinchie - Lowlands (don't much care for this region. Too grassy and dainty for me.)

Springbank 10 - Campbeltown (as mentioned before. It's not for everyone, but if you like the Island scotches, and to a lesser degree the Islays, this gives a similar profile but with its own oily, briny greatness)
HouseDivided06
AG
I'll go to bat for Springbank 10, as someone who has stuck mainly with the standards and is not too high on the islays. Laphroaig is way too much for me in terms of peatiness, but damn, that Springbank is smooth and a really nice middle ground between the islays and your standard McAllan or Glenlivet. I'll definitely buy this one again.

Average Joe
AG
My sis spent a couple of years in school in Scotland and brought me back some goodies each time she came home.

The first she got me is Glenfiddich 14 year old Rich Oak. It's similar to a bourbon in sweetness to me, but the oak flavor comes out pretty heavy in the end. You really get the flavor of the bourbon and fruits from the reused casks, and it is very smooth.

The second bottle she got me is a Glenfiddich 21yr old. It was a wedding gift this past April, but I didn't get a chance to open it. Didn't want it to disappear and be left with an empty bottle. I'm going to open it when my daughter is born in May.
FlyFish95
Laphroaig is a very interesting pour. The nose and initial sip are like cough syrup but it finishes very smoky, salty, and peaty. I've grown to love it.
Whoop04
Can anyone recommend a good book on scotch? History, process, regions, reviews etc?
Thisguy1
I got some Lagavulin 16 which I mentioned earlier in the thread, wasn't a fan. Picked out some Johnny Walker black and Glenlivet 12 and after the first sip of both, still not a fan. I guess I'm just a whiskey guy and not a scotch guy. I'm sure y'all will love to here it tasted better in some Dr. Pepper.
Whoop04
Post removed:
by user
Flaith
AG
quote:
I got some Lagavulin 16 which I mentioned earlier in the thread, wasn't a fan. Picked out some Johnny Walker black and Glenlivet 12 and after the first sip of both, still not a fan. I guess I'm just a whiskey guy and not a scotch guy. I'm sure y'all will love to here it tasted better in some Dr. Pepper.

AG81xx
AG
Here's what's in my cabinet:
Lagavulin 16 (2 bottles) my personal fav
Caol Ila distillers edition Moscatel Finished
Highland Park 15
Springbank 15
Springbank 10
Bruichladdich The Laddie 10
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or 12

I tend to like a little more flavor than the highland scotches offer.
Oh and a neighbor who doesn't drink scotch always keeps a bottle of Oban in stock for me.

[This message has been edited by Ag81xx (edited 3/16/2014 10:49a).]
Doug Glatt
AG
Hennigan's is pretty good stuff.
Whoop04
Anyone here tried Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 or Peat Project?
FarmersFightAg
AG
^^^^ Peat Project is great!! Since you asked about it, I pulled it out of my cabinet and had another sip of it.

Nose: rich, caramel, salty, peat

Palate: round, warming, vanilla, fig, bananas foster, smoky, peat, and a whole lotta other stuff I am still trying to figure out. Fun experience

I have a quarter of a bottle left. Will buy another.
FlyFish95
Peat...aaaaah the peat.
'03ag
I'd just like to point out that The Londoner has flights of scotch, and that's awesome.
IslandAg76
AG
No one has posted on the scotch thread in a while so I will put this interactive map which I find interesting.

Scotch Map of Scotland
Kyle98
AG
I'll be in Scotland starting Saturday, going to hit up a few Speyside distilleries while we're there. Never been a huge scotch guy, but I'm really looking forward to it!
FlyFish95
quote:
quote:
I got some Lagavulin 16 which I mentioned earlier in the thread, wasn't a fan. Picked out some Johnny Walker black and Glenlivet 12 and after the first sip of both, still not a fan

You need to pick better Scotch to try.
AggieBQ03
AG
If you don't like Lagavulin 16 then you probably won't like any peated scotch, it's one of the best in my opinion. Been a while since I had it, but like a smoother easier to drink Talisker 10 (James Bonds real drink BTW).

nithing wrong with not liking peat. I'm not always in the mood and tend to favor Highland Park as a more normal peat level myself. I'd tell anyone trying for the first time to go with a Balvenie (smooth and floral), Highland Park (a bit of each flavor of scotch peat, sherry, etc), or a GlenDronach (great sherried scotch). If you decide you like peat try a glass of Talisker 10 at a good bar.
Kyle98
AG
We ended up on a walking tour of Dufftown the evening after our Macalland and Aberlour tours, and it was pretty cool. Visited the 9 Dufftown distilleries, and had tastings of each, Pittyvaich, Dufftown, Mortlach, Glendullan, Parkmore, Glenfiddich, Balvenie, Kininvie and Convalmore.

We tried:
Pittyvaich 12
SIngleton of Dufftown 12
Mortlach 15
Gordon & MacPhail Connoisseurs Choice Glendullan 14
Talisker (in lieu of Parkmore, it was our guide's favorite Island whisky)
Glenfiddich Rich Oak 14
Balvenie 12
Monkey Shoulder
Gordon & MacPhail Connoisseurs Choice Convalmore 26

Out of those, I enjoyed the Pittyvaich and the Balvenie the most.
Karrde
AG
Got a bottle of Glendronach 15 for the game today, and it is absolutely delicious.
FlyFish95
Haven't had the 15, but the 12 is amazing. Literally one of my favorite bottles of any kind.
Whoop04
I had an impulse buy tonight. Laphroaig Triplewood. Really enjoying my first glass of it. Still has the peat you would expect from a laphroaig, but with some sweetness. Almost like a peated bourbon.
steve00
AG
Went to a Macallan tasting last night. I didn't care for the Fine Oak line, but I really liked their sherry line. 12, 18 and Rare Cask were all very good. I'll be picking up a bottle of each when I get a chance.

They had a Highland Park Dark Origins as well, but I don't have a taste for peaty whisky yet. Even though that is one of the least peaty of the peated scotches, it's too much for me.
Whoop04
quote:
They had a Highland Park Dark Origins as well, but I don't have a taste for peaty whisky yet. Even though that is one of the least peaty of the peated scotches, it's too much for me.

The peat is an acquired taste. I admit that the first couple drams I had were kindof hard to drink. But I very quickly pushed through that and really started to enjoy it and get to the profile underneath that. Get a lightly peated bottle and just go for it. I bet that halfway through the bottle you will start eyeballing an ardbeg.
GregZeppelin
AG
Ardbeg Uigeadail..... so good.
RAM 12
AG
Lagavulin 16. Nectar of the Gods.
oneoutofmany
AG
Anyone have any thoughts about the Balvenie Rum Cask 17yr 2008 release? I'm relatively new to scotch and just saw this at a local place. Curious.
steve00
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.