Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,548 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
Hudson2508
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think y'all may be thinking of a different scotch. This is what I was given for Xmas:

It was a weird bottle so I was wondering if anyone had any info on it.
FarmersFightAg
AG
Hudson:

I have a bottle of this myself. Pretty neat product due to its age. I posted on the first page of this thread regarding independent bottlers and how some can age product much longer and have available for sale than what a distillery can (for much cheaper too).

Imagine the patience that is required to age a product that long.
AgInSingapore
AG
Gentlemen what you have is an independent bottling from a distillery that likely doesn’t want to be named. When you encounter this the independent, The Lonach Whisky Company in this case, will either give it some random name that gives away the source (LeapFrog is an independently bottled Laphroig) or call it by a closed distillery. What Lonach has done here is used the name of a long closed distillery. The Glendarroch distillery closed around the time of the lead up to WWII so by reading the label on your bottle, we can deduct that the liquid inside isn’t from Glendarroch. That doesn’t mean it isn’t good whisky, just a back story on what is going on. I can also tell by the color of the whisky that this was almost certainly not aged in sherry casks, more than likely first fill bourbon barrels.

After a little digging in some of my whisky books and some enjoyable internet investigation, you may be sitting on a 41 year old cask strength Glenfarclas, not too bad of a pick-up. This is a bottling I have not seen before and highly doubt I will here in Singapore.
Third Coast Horn
Whoops. Well, I still highly enjoy Glendronach the most.

Got all of the following currently:

Glendronach 12
Glendronach 15
Glendronach Spec's 21 year old
Glendronach Spec's 17 year old (have not opened this yet).

I did have an older bottling somebody brought to a friend's bachelor party about 8 months ago which was heavy on the sherry and excellent.
Hudson2508
AG
Awesome, thanks for the info AgInSingapore. I'm sure I'll enjoy it regardless of where it came from.
mshipp88
This is the best thread on Texags. My problem has been that I haven't found a scotch I don't like! Ok, I kid--blends and overly light/smooth/filtered (glenlivet...) scotches don't do it for me.
Laphroiag is incredible. I was Macallan obsessed for a long time but I'm starting the realize I enjoy the Balvenie 17 over/equal to the Mac 18. It's hard for me to admit that, but I think it's true.
Biggest area I haven't explored is the heavier, woody scothes like some of the ardbergs and lagavulins. How does a heavy, smoke peat conpare to sweet peats like laphroaig?
Thisguy1
Watched Parks and Rec on Netflix so I had to try out Lagavulin 16. Had one glass and my throat was on fire the next day, and I drink a whiskey dr pepper(or 2) just about every night. Not an expert, and it was my first scotch, but it's extremely smokey. Is that just how Lagavulin is or is most scotch similar?
Whoop04

As you can tell from this chart, it falls in the heavy peat/smoke section. There are lots of types with little to no peat flavor.
GregZeppelin
AG
mshipp, I've had the Ardbeg Uigadail in the top right corner of that chart, and the best way I can describe it, is throwing a handfull of campfire ash in your mouth. I find them to be less drinkable than something like Laphroaig.

I enjoy them on the rare occasions when I'm really in the mood for a super smoky dram, but otherwise, they're not enjoyable to me.
FlyFish95
Tried the Laphroaig 10 yr a couple of days ago. I'd say the description from the chart above is very accurate. I realize after trying this that my wheel house is more on the right side of the chart. Not a fan of smoke/peaty scotch. I think the peat flavor is interesting, but not for an entire glass. The Laphroaig 10 tasted like smoked caramel popcorn.
mshipp88
Just picked up a balvenie 17 sherry oak... Pretty excited. Anyone try the 21 y/o portwood? One day... One day...
Whoop04
Found a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask at the Specs in corpus. As i suspected, the recent shipment just took a couple more days to get down here. My collection is now:
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Glenlivet 15
Bunnahabhain 12
Aberlour A'bunadh
TailG8TR
AG
English Whisky Co. English Peated Single Malt and Johnny Blue
Whoop04
I've never tried JW blue. How close does it get to being worth the price?
bevokilla
AG
Suck it up and pay the price at a bar one day (should be between $30-$40 a glass) and enjoy it but IMO its not worth buying an entire bottle.
Cromagnum
AG
Currently in the cabinet:
Oban Distillers Edition
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Dalwhinnie 15 Distillers Edition.

Love anything Balvenie, Oban, and Glen Rothes.

Used to have a 1991 Glen Rothes which was very heavy in butterscotch. Awesome pour.

Cao Isla is damned good if you can find it. Peaty, but not too much.

Bowmore and Talisker have too much peat for me.

Glenlivet and Glenfiddich are okay for beginner scotches. Didn't find too much special there.

Mortlach and Cragganmore I've tried but haven't bought bottles yet. Both good.
GregZeppelin
AG
I also don't believe JW Blue is worth the hype. The green was may favorite, but it has been discontinued. Blue tastes very generic to me, much better scotches can be had for far less money.
elchucoag93
AG
No mention of Tomintoul yet. Starts somewhat sweet (typical of speyside scotches), some lingering smoke on the palate. Should pair well with a nice cigar
javajaws
AG
Anybody tried the Glenmorangie Ealanta yet?
Third Coast Horn
I've got a bottle of the Ealanta. Pretty good, but probably not worth the money.
TxKng82
AG
quote:
I also don't believe JW Blue is worth the hype. The green was may favorite, but it has been discontinued. Blue tastes very generic to me, much better scotches can be had for far less money.

Do a lot of bourbon hunting. Ran across some JW Green today in the Houston area. Don't know where you're at.
FbgTxAg
AG
Some random thoughts...

For you Ealanta guys, try the Finealta. It is MUCH better than the Ealanta, in my opinion.

Anybody ever had JURA? Just the regular stuff. Pound for pound a great scotch at a great price.

Would you guys that have had Balvenie Carribean Cask compare it favorably, equivalent, or unfavorably with Quinta Ruban?
BurnetAggie99
Got a bottle of Master of Malt 30 Year Old Speyside and so far its been one of the best I've tasted.
edwardsk2003
AG
Going to Scotland in July.

Friday night we're concluding our day touring the Glenmorangie distillery. The following day we're going to Macallan, Highlander Inn (lunch), Glenfiddich, and Glenlivet.

Friday night + Saturday looks like this
http://goo.gl/maps/PL08a

For anyone who's been to Speyside, any feedback on this?

[This message has been edited by edwardsk2003 (edited 2/7/2014 6:54a).]

[This message has been edited by edwardsk2003 (edited 2/7/2014 8:06a).]
FbgTxAg
AG
Ill be in Scotland in July as well.
E King Trill
AG
Has anyone had MacAllan 10 Fine Oak? It was my first Scotch Whisky purchase. Seemed like a decent value, thought it was good.
AggBock
AG
The Macallan is the best Scotch ever made. James Bond drinks it. I like to drink it while wearing my Omega Seamaster.
Whoop04
I had a glass of Macallan 18 last night. The smoothest whiskey I have had, and it's not close.
HouseDivided06
AG
I generally buy bourbon more than scotch, but I do love a good scotch. I typically stick with what I know and go with Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, or McAllan. Last night, though, we had dinner with some friends. The guy is more of a bourbon guy like me, but he had recently bought some Springbank 10 at the recommendation of the guy at the liquor store. He tried it and hated it, so he said if I liked it, it was mine. I tried it and was REALLY impressed with how smooth it was for a 10 year. Definitely different than my normal purchase, but pretty damn good, and REALLY damn good for a free bottle. If you want to try something new, I would highly recommend it.
FlyFish95
quote:
Has anyone had MacAllan 10 Fine Oak? It was my first Scotch Whisky purchase. Seemed like a decent value, thought it was good.

Good, but nothing spectacular.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
If you would like to treat yourself, Reserve 101 in Houston is now offering Glenmorangie 1963 for $550 a dram.
FbgTxAg
AG
Had 3 Balvenie 21 yr old for $8.50 each on a cruise ship recently. They finally figured it out the next time I went to that bar and it was $35 per. Lol.
E King Trill
AG
Okay so I made my 2nd scotch purchase. The first was Macallan 10 Fine Oak, the second was Glenlivet 12. They both have similar color and aroma but Glenlivet had a cleaner sweeter finish. Thoughts?
Whoop04
Glenlivet 12 is solid, but after really getting into it scotch, it's boring to me now.
I prefer a stronger sherry flavor profile though.
FlyFish95
Any reviews on Caol Ila? That might be my next bottle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.