Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,475 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
poolct00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anything from balvenie
SnakePliskin
Oban and Talisker are 2 of my go-to's. Cragganmore is nice as well.

As much as I love single malt, I admit I'm not a huge fan of Islay scotches. I like peaty, but some are overwhelming.
Pete98
AG
Snake, have you tried Bowmore? Great islay scotch but not so peaty. Also, Caol Ila if you can find it.

Edit: Actually, nevermind on the Caol Ila. I hadn't had it in a while but just had a glass over the weekend. It's pretty peaty.... but if you like Oban then you'll probably like the Bowmore.

[This message has been edited by Pete98 (edited 9/9/2013 5:55p).]
jcrack
makes me want a drink!
mike073
AG
Interesting tasting bar in Estes Park this weekend. You got a half jigger for those prices.

Gig 'em Aggies!

AgInSingapore
AG
My two cents to add to the discussion, take it for what it is or is not worth.

Single malt Scotch whisky is a wonderful thing and in terms of taste and tasting, can be compared to those who appreciate wine(s). Each distillery is different and produces a product they stand behind. While whisky is similar at times, it is never the same as the guys the next town over, or the next plot of land over (i.e. Glenfiddich and Balvenie) producing a dram. When I began investigating and drinking single malt, I went at it with an open mind to find what I like, what I don’t and what I will not tolerate. Personally, I didn’t look for recommendations because I did not want someone to tell me what I should or should not enjoy, no offense to folks on the thread as this statement is not intended to be taken like that. To date, I have only poured one bottle down the drain, literally, and that was due to a high sulfur content (I’m looking at you Jura 10 bottled in the late 90’s or early 2000’s).

The key is finding what your palate, nose and brain enjoy. This may or may not be like someone else as we are all individuals and our own sensory systems work differently in this regard (I hate mac ‘n cheese, why I will never know, yet everyone I know has no issue tucking into a bowl of the stuff). Take people’s suggestions with an open mind, if you don’t like it don’t feel that you have to because so and so said it was the best thing since sliced bread and if you don’t then you just don’t ‘get it’.

I have had more whisky than I care to admit. If FHK (whisky drinker) or Jimmy Houston (not a whisky drinker) jump on this thread at any point I figure they can verify my statement. With that being said, I will toss some ideas out there for you that will allow for a sample of the range single malt Scotch whisky has to offer. I am only mentioning the distillery, you can pick what release you like and if it is official from the distillery or from an independent bottler. By no means would I expect anyone to agree with me because, as I have stated, everyone is different. I do commend everyone for partaking, it keeps one of the things I love in business, single malt whisky distilleries.

Balvenie – standard releases will never knock your socks off but at the same time will never disappoint.
Glendronach – the new stuff they are putting out is legit, a great alternative to Macallan when looking at the sherried versions as a lower cost
Oban – a unique spirit that I find easy to drink and pretty dang tasty. I swear they have bees dripping honey into the casks on the racks.
Laphroiag – personally, if I am just drinking to drink, this is my go to. Should you happen across a 15 year old get it as they stopped making it.
Highland Park – older versions are quite complex and take time to peel the layers back if you have the time
Glenkenchie – if you see the distiller’s edition, suggest picking on up (crap, second Diageo owned distillery on the list)
Talisker – spicy, quite a hot whisky but not in a bad way, typically a higher alcohol content but a make that stands alone (third Diageo, promise I only have one more from them).
Springbank – a shame Campbeltown only produces a few whiskies now, it was once a prime location
Aberlour – IF, and that is a big if, you see the version released for the French market, get it.
Lagavulin – easier than Laphroaig, but still a huge whisky. When I am in a cold climate, I hope the bar carries this whisky, a true winter warmer. (my last in the list and my final Diageo selection)

Alright, done rambling on. At the end of the day, drink what you like and if someone says you are a fool for doing so, oh well, at least you like it.

TLDR version - drink what you like
aragno
AG
AgInSingapore... Like Yoda of Scotch. Do you ever have a drink at La Maison @ Robertson Quay?

Anyway, I was graciously given some Mortlach which is currently one of my favorites.

I am still learning what I like and my preference has changed over the last two years too, so I do suggest to try something you once disliked after a few years as you might discover something new to enjoy.
aragno
AG
AgInSingapore... Like Yoda of Scotch. Do you ever have a drink at La Maison @ Robertson Quay?

Anyway, I was graciously given some Mortlach which is currently one of my favorites.

I am still learning what I like and my preference has changed over the last two years too, so I do suggest to try something you once disliked after a few years as you might discover something new to enjoy.
Pete98
AG

[This message has been edited by Pete98 (edited 9/13/2013 5:37p).]
Pete98
AG
dp

[This message has been edited by Pete98 (edited 9/13/2013 5:36p).]
Pete98
AG
Does the Mortlach bottle you have look like one of these or different???

AgInSingapore
AG
aragno, I did drink at La Maison when I lived in the Inspira just behind Roberson Walk but now that the wife and I moved out by Mt. Sinai Rise I seldom make it back over. Not sure if you knew the ex MD there, Jeremy, but he and I are quite good friends and that opened the door for me to experience some whisky that I never expected to try (Mortlach 70 year old, Mortlach 50 year old 1942 “Book of Kells” and so on, FHK knows what I’m talking about).

Another good spot here in Singapore is Auld Alliance in Chimes. The MD there was MD at La Maison when I first moved over here.

Also, check out Sistic for tickets to Whisky Live in Singapore, I think it is in October on a Thursday night if memory serves me correctly. I won’t be in town due to a work trip but I have been the previous three years and it is a good event.
AggBock
AG
Tried some Dalmore. It was ok. Any recommendations?
FlyFish95
Belvenie Doublewood was recommended to me recently and it's fantastic. The chart posted earlier in the link describes it perfectly. However, the taste/profile varies quite a bit from region to region to finding a bottle you like you may just come down to finding something from a particular region. I know that simplifies it, but it's a good place to start.
'03ag
I got some balvenie 17 yr peated cask for Christmas from the FIL. can't wait to try it. the balvenie 17 double wood is probably the best scotch I've had yet.
'03ag
ok this is pretty damn good
Crazy Ag 97
AG
Still fairly new to scotch, or maybe I should say I've had limited exposure, but... bought a bottle of Balvenie 17 Doublewood as a wedding gift for a good friend, and of course, we had a glass. All I can is that it was easily the best scotch I've had to date, even better than the Macallen 25, which was pretty damn great as well.

That being said, looking for new scotches to taste.
Whoop04
I am currently sipping on some Aberlour A'bunadh batch #42. Told my wife it was just for special occasions. After 3 nights in a row, the "special occasion" reasons have admittedly started to get lame. Errr, Mack Brown's last game, glug glug.

[This message has been edited by Whoop04 (edited 12/30/2013 11:28p).]
AggBock
AG
Here is what I got this weekend. I live in Israel and am experimenting with Scotches since Bourbon is so high.

[This message has been edited by AggBock (edited 12/31/2013 7:22a).]
RangerRick9211
AG
Spent 2013 w/ my somm buddy trying as many Islay distilleries as we could. I've landed on Laphroaig's QC as the peat that will always be in my cabinet. I absolutely love this dram.

Looking forward to 2014 where we plan on testing the unpeated and sherry drams of Speyside and Highland.
RK
AG
Lagavulin. I like to feel like i passed out face-down in a peat bog.
True Anomaly
AG
Thanks AgInSingapore!!

Wife got me this for Xmas. Second bottle I've owned- first one lasted 3 years before I couldn't stand it and finished it. I'm not one for peat (maybe some Lagavulin rarely), so it's probably my fave:

HTownAg98
quote:
Lagavulin. I like to feel like i passed out face-down in a peat bog.

You and Ron Swanson.
True Anomaly
AG
quote:
RK8:27a, yesterday

Laphroaig. I like to feel like i passed out face-down in a peat bog.

FIFY

La Fours
AG
quote:
Thanks AgInSingapore!!

Wife got me this for Xmas. Second bottle I've owned- first one lasted 3 years before I couldn't stand it and finished it. I'm not one for peat (maybe some Lagavulin rarely), so it's probably my fave:

I'll gladly take it off your hands!!

La Fours
AG
quote:
Spent 2013 w/ my somm buddy trying as many Islay distilleries as we could. I've landed on Laphroaig's QC as the peat that will always be in my cabinet. I absolutely love this dram.

Looking forward to 2014 where we plan on testing the unpeated and sherry drams of Speyside and Highland.

Sounds like a noble endeavor.
True Anomaly
AG
quote:

You misunderstand- I couldn't stand to keep it lying around without finishing every last drop- was trying to make it last, and I think going three years is a pretty good run! So she just got me the replacement bottle for Xmas.

So, um....no, you can't have it
Hudson2508
AG
Just finally found a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask. Pretty excited to try it.

Also received a bottle of Lonach 41yrs Single malt cask strength Glendarroch for Xmas. Anyone heard of it or tried it? It's extremely affordable for the age.
Whoop04
Where did you find the Caribbean cask? I have been looking for it.
Hudson2508
AG
In Austin at the Westlake Twin Liquors. They had a huge stash. Maybe 5 bottles. Probably a new shipment.
La Fours
AG
Whoop, there were 4 bottles on the shelf at the CS specs today at lunch.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

You misunderstand- I couldn't stand to keep it lying around without finishing every last drop- was trying to make it last, and I think going three years is a pretty good run! So she just got me the replacement bottle for Xmas.

So, um....no, you can't have it

Well ****.
Third Coast Horn
I'm jealous. I've never seen the cask strength glendronach. Are you located in dfw?
AgInSingapore
AG
True Anomaly – Nice score, you’ve got a good woman for sure. How you made the other bottle last 3 years I haven’t a clue?

Hudson – If the bottle you have is what I am thinking of, you will or already have enjoyed it. The sherry on those old cask strength Glendronachs is just amazing, it really mellows out the alcohol and leaves a great finish on the palate that lingers. A small suggestion for you, when you finish your drink(s), let the glass sit until the remnants evaporate/dry, go back and give it a good smell. Not only will you get a whole different nose than when there was liquid in there, you will feel like you need another dram of the same.

La Fours – Quit yer moochin’ (I kid, I kid)
GregZeppelin
AG
Count me in with the pro-Glendronach Cask Strength crowd.

I cracked this baby open with my family after finding out I passed the bar exam. I know it's not 40+ years old, but it's still the best liquid to ever pass through my lips (and I tend to favor bourbon over scotch most days). I can't even begin to imagine how good the 40 year old ones must be.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.