Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,533 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
Mr. Penguin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I consider myself somewhat of a scotch snob as I have been collecting and drinking with scotch with my dad for a few years now, AND YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BOURBON AND SCOTCH!

Blended:

Single Malt:

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
quote:
THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BOURBON AND SCOTCH!

Word?
FarmersFightAg
AG

[This message has been edited by FarmersFightAg (edited 4/19/2014 10:12p).]
'03ag
I'm pretty new to scotch. in my cabinet right now

Glenkinchie (12?)
laphroaigh - no thanks. not a fan of the
peaty scotches apparently.
Macallan 12 - good but not great

from two places i got to visit last year

Glengoyne 17 - by far the best i have currently
Auchentoshan 3 wood - a nice change up. sweet

then i have some 20 year old Auchentoshan that i haven't opened yet. it's some special bottling done by another company. found it at specs and it was $60 for 20 yr old. thought it was worth a shot.
tx4guns
AG
Picked up a bottle of Glenrothes 1995 last week. Just WOW! Can't believe I waited this long to buy a bottle. I've had the 1994, and I like the '95 better.
FlyFish95
Hard to beat this

terradactylexpress
Quite possibly the worst thread on all of texags
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
Hard to beat this

It's actually not hard at all.
Mr. Penguin
AG
Famous Grouse is decent 35 dollar bottle
FarmersFightAg
AG

[This message has been edited by FarmersFightAg (edited 8/10/2013 7:06p).]
FlyFish95
Fair enough. I'm somewhat new to the scotch game. Make a suggestion and I'll go buy a bottle. I don't like that spicy, burn your throat crap though.
Echoes97
AG
Question for scotch enthusiasts. We bought a bottle for a business gift this week, and the Spec's guy recommended it. Just wanting to know if it qualifies as "really good", no humble brag or anything. I believe it was:

Duncan Taylor Glen Grant (Speyside) 40 year (casked 1970, bottled 2010.

I just don't know enough about scotch to know the perception of this one. Bueno? No bueno?
FlyFish95
I'm guessing if it's 40 year it wasn't cheap.
Echoes97
AG
No it wasn't cheap, I believe $220? Again not trying to brag I just want to know if we hit a home run or what.
javajaws
AG
Never heard of it, but I'm sure its a good drink. You going to get to drink any of it?
javajaws
AG
For those who haven't found /r/scotch and the links therein...

http://www.reddit.com/r/scotch

http://scotchgit.bitbucket.org

tx4guns
AG
Specs DT guy said Macallan Cask Strength is not being made anymore. It's wonderful stuff. I'm not happy about that.
javajaws
AG
Yeah, I'd recommend you buy a bottle (or two) while you can.

'03ag
I heard Macallan was going to a blend
FarmersFightAg
AG
quote:
Question for scotch enthusiasts. We bought a bottle for a business gift this week, and the Spec's guy recommended it. Just wanting to know if it qualifies as "really good", no humble brag or anything. I believe it was:

Duncan Taylor Glen Grant (Speyside) 40 year (casked 1970, bottled 2010.

I just don't know enough about scotch to know the perception of this one. Bueno? No bueno?

This is a very very good whisky. Independent bottlers do very interesting things that the distillers themselves do not. What independent bottlers do is purchase a barrel of whisky from the distiller (for cheap), and then age it in their facilities. So, Duncan Taylor purchased the whisky made by Glen Grant, and aged it for 40 years. There is not an unlimited supply of this, making it rare. It is a very cool concept, and usually, they are priced cheaper because they are not looking for steady revenues, like a regular distillery. So, if Glen Grant made a 40 year whisky, this would be charged at $400 plus. By being an independent bottler, Duncan Taylor charges much less, because they cover their costs easily.

Other independent bottlers to be on the look out for:

Lonach
Michel Courvier
AD Ratray
Signa
Chieftain's Choice
Exclusive Malts
Hart Bros
Mackillop
Scott's select

[This message has been edited by FarmersFightAg (edited 8/10/2013 7:08p).]

[This message has been edited by FarmersFightAg (edited 12/30/2013 10:34a).]
La Fours
AG

Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14

This is very nice. I'm not much of a scotch drinker but this one is good.
tx4guns
AG
java, how about 2 cases? Bringing some in next week.
FbgTxAg
AG
If price is no obstacle, try Glenmorangie Signet. It is quite unique and is a top-notch single malt. Hints of chocolate. Probly $220 or so a bottle. Not for daily use.
nosoupforyou
AG
MacAllen 18 please
FlyFish95
How about a suggestion for a really good bottle in the $40-$60 range?
Third Coast Horn
How about a great bottle for a little more than $60? Dalwhinnie Distiller's Edition.
farmer2010
AG
In the $40-60 range, I really like Balvenie Doublewood, Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Tomintoul 10, and Aberlour 12.
AggieSherman09
AG
Johnnie walker has discontinued the gold and green labels so stores are starting to run low on supplies. they are going to be replaced by a slightly different quality gold label reserve (15 year) and platinum (18). JW has already pulled the labels from their primary labels on their website...just a thought if you want to pick something up that wont be around much longer
FlyFish95
Is it worth a crap?
GregZeppelin
AG
I'm a big fan of the Green, it's peaty and smoky but very balanced and drinkable at the same time. I will definitely miss the Green.

Gold is good, but unmemorable, tastes like a generic version of any good 15-18 year old speyside or highland. Not a huge loss.
Pete98
AG
quote:
How about a suggestion for a really good bottle in the $40-$60 range?

Cragganmore
Womackster
AG
I like Glenlivet 12.
Echoes97
AG
FarmersFightAg, thanks very much for the explanation! That's awesome and is great insight into the background of that kind of scotch. Appreciate the reply, thanks again.
Pale Rider
AG
I just got into scotch the last few month and am really enjoying it. Got a lot to learn though.

I haven't really tried enough to know what type I like and know the difference between them all.

So far I've gone through bottles of JW Red/Black/Gold and had several glasses Glenlivet 12. Obviously nothing impressive about those really, but my favorite was the Black label.

Seems like the blends are frowned upon more, or maybe that's just a scotch snob thing?

I still cant do neat, but really like on the rocks.

I'll try some of the stuff mentioned in this thread.

If you have any other recommendations or advice for a beginner let me have it

[This message has been edited by Pale Rider (edited 8/25/2013 12:29p).]
FlyFish95
What did you drink prior to taking on Scotch? I too have moved on to scotch in the past few months or so. I've always been a bourbon guy but I'm finding scotch more complex and smooth. Maybe it's all of the bourbon I've had in the past but I have no issues drinking scotch neat...especially Glenlevit 12. That's a pretty tame pour.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.