Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Custard style yogurt?

19,201 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zemira
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So Yoplait used to make a custard style yogurt when I was a kid, and I loved the lemon flavor. It seems they discontinued this line due to the higher fat content and replaced it with something called thick and creamy yogurt. No lemon flavor in this newer line.

So my question is does anyone know of a yogurt brand that makes a thicker custard style in lemon flavor?

Or can any of the food gurus guide me to making my own custard style yogurt?
Max Power
AG
Yoplait started making Greek yogurt, one of them is lemon, give that a try.
Vernada
AG
You can make your own yogurt from milk. I can't find the steps in my Evernote, but I do have this tidbit in there:

quote:
THE so-called Greek yogurt that has become popular in recent years is neither a special kind of yogurt nor uniquely Greek. It’s simply yogurt from which much of the water has been removed, a concoction that in its thickest form can be called yogurt cheese. You can find yogurt cheese in every country that has a history of yogurt making. In addition to being thicker and richer when eaten straight, it makes superior spreads and dips.

It can be made at home from ordinary yogurt, and its consistency can be varied: it can be similar to sour cream, crème fraîche, or mayonnaise, for which it’s a good substitute, or it can be thick enough to cut with a knife.
Producing yogurt cheese is quite simple. It takes a couple of hours, but your presence is required only for minutes. All you do is strain some of the water out of yogurt, until it reaches the thickness you want. For straining, I recommend a colander or coarse strainer lined with a clean cotton dish towel of fairly fine weave, what used to be called flour sack. (Many recipes suggest the use of cheesecloth, but you’d have to use about 10 layers for the same results.) Dump a quart (or whatever quantity you like) of yogurt in there, set the colander over a bowl in the refrigerator, twist or tie the top of the towel, and wait.
To speed the process, squeeze every now and then, or don’t bother. When the yogurt has reached the consistency of sour cream, twist and squeeze once more and scoop out the yogurt, which will have been reduced in volume by about half. (I suppose you could save and drink the yogurt-water, or cook with it, but I don’t.) Store the thickened yogurt in a covered container and use it within a week or so for best quality.

bikerack
AG
quote:
Yoplait started making Greek yogurt, one of them is lemon, give that a try.

This. I'm a fan of their lemon and key lime flavors.
Zemira
AG
Thank you for the suggestions. I will try the greek lemon yogurt again, but I wasn't thrilled when I had it before. I will have to try the making my own yogurt recipe above, I am just afraid it isn't going to be like a custard.

When I say custard style I am thinking of like a creme brulee or flan consistency that is able to stand on its own. I found a few recipes on homesteading websites that say that you can add gelatin to the yogurt to get custard style yogurt. I know that sometimes you add gelatin to set custards so maybe this might work? I keep thinking the thing I miss most is that it was kind of like a cross between yogurt/jello/pudding.

I have been trying different yogurts for the past year and a half to find one that comes close to my old childhood favorite with no success. I guess it is a bit weird that I want my lemon flavored yogurt to set up like a jello custard, but part of it is a nostalgia factor.
Zemira
AG
Just to follow up I am getting nostalgic for the custard style lemon yogurt so I think I am going to attempt one of the homesteading recipes this weekend.

I will try to provide updates with the success/failure in case anyone else is in the same situation.
HTownAg98
Gelatin is the solution to your problem. If you're going to make it at home, use a recipe that calls for whole milk and gelatin. That should be a close approximation to what you're looking for.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I love that stuff too and was sad when I wasn't able to pick it up at heb anymore
Zemira
AG
HTown thanks for the advice, hopefully my attempt goes well.

Beck finally someone else that understands!
Beckdiesel03
AG
Was at HEB this morning and saw that yoplait has brought back a few flavors of custard yogurt. I have never been so excited about yogurt before and actually remembered this thread.
Tanya 93
Beckdiesel03 said:

Was at HEB this morning and saw that yoplait has brought back a few flavors of custard yogurt. I have never been so excited about yogurt before and actually remembered this thread.
Don't ever post that on the Politics board.

If you post you love something, they remember forever how much you love rice cakes.
docaggie
AG
I grabbed some yesterday. Had the toasted marshmallow and am now already lamenting that its a limited edition flavor.
Always seems to happen. I find something I really like and it turns out to be a seasonal thing!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Toasted marshmallow! We just had vanilla, lemon, blueberry and strawberry
Zemira
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

Thanks for the thread bump! I heard they were coming out with it again but haven't seen it yet. Will try HEB tomorrow.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.