Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

B-52 Brewing - Houston

30,243 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jock itch
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hadn't heard anything on this recently so I drove by today. Lots of work going on out there
Linz02Ag
AG
Update?
jock itch
quote:
Hadn't heard anything on this recently so I drove by today. Lots of work going on out there

Not sure how I missed the bump, but glad you got a chance to stop by! Things have been crazy lately, so you'll have to pardon our dust.

quote:
Update?

Just about everything is here, but we're still stuck waiting on water/sewer. The city told us they'd get started two weeks ago, but surprise surprise they haven't shown up yet.

We also still have to finish out the glycol and steam lines. For whatever reason, finding somebody to hookup the boiler has been really difficult.

The other thing I'm definitely learning through this process: getting what you pay for definitely still applies when dealing with subcontractors. We've been through two framers, three electricians, and are on our second plumber as well. They almost always show up late (if at all) and require constant supervision or else major mistakes occur. My dad's been in commercial construction since I was born, and I have no idea how he deals w/ this crap everyday!
jock itch
And I'll try and get some more pics here in a bit, but the building is a mess right now!
jock itch
Been a while since I updated, but we're still waiting on the city for water/sewer.

I do want to get yall's opinion on something though. We're trying to decide on a dark beer to release and can't really agree on what to go w/. We piloted a Black Saison that was pretty solid (came out north of 10% ABV too...oops!), but we've also thrown the idea around for some subtle twist on a porter. I suggested a subtly smoked porter ala Stone or Alaskan, and my brother is partial to the Pecan Porter from 512.

Any other ideas you guys would like to see?

Cheers!
Djbutter
A Krystal Weisen would be nice. Haven't seen one since living in Germany.
tx4guns
AG
I'm partial to dark Belgian browns, so I'd vote for that.
metrag06
AG
I'm a fan of the 512 pecan porter, personally.
Linz02Ag
AG
Imperial porter or dark Belgian would be my suggestion
La Fours
AG
I think either style of Porter will be a good decision.
Jock 07
AG
Actually had a taste of a dark saison today (Trinity Brewing Merle). They had just bottled it and brought a pitcher into the taproom to share. It was actually pretty decent. Of course, it'll be better once it gets some carbonation in it.

[This message has been edited by Jock 07 (edited 10/3/2013 2:16a).]
diehard03
I think a good stout or robust porter would be good. You could copy the "Yeti" model and then smoke it, age it, etc all you want.

jetch17
AG
Hopped & Screwed DIPA ... I'm tellin ya
Linz02Ag
AG
quote:
Hopped & Screwed DIPA ... I'm tellin ya
Seconded
metrag06
AG
So when do we get to sign up to be 'Test Pilots'?
jock itch
We're thinking Dec 1st now. Damn city of Conroe! Apparently they dug into a private sewer line so some of the utilities are delayed once again.

quote:
I think a good stout or robust porter would be good. You could copy the "Yeti" model and then smoke it, age it, etc all you want.

I like this. So many possibilities for seasonal/one-off releases.

quote:
Hopped & Screwed DIPA

My brother loves it. Once we get around to doing a DIPA, we might have to steal this. We'll find a way to give you credit somehow.

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 10/10/2013 2:18p).]
diehard03
quote:
I like this. So many possibilities for seasonal/one-off releases.

Don't let your marketing screw your beer choices, and don't let your beer choices screw your marketing.

Make sure you give yourself space in both areas to shine.
IronRed13
AG
I'll volunteer as a "test Pilot" as well!

For Dark beers:

Imperial Stout (Russian please. Call it the Tu-95 for the russian equivalent of the B-52) or Belgian Strong Dark
jock itch
quote:
Don't let your marketing screw your beer choices, and don't let your beer choices screw your marketing.

Make sure you give yourself space in both areas to shine.

Wise advice indeed.

Oh and there will definitely be an RIS at some point.
diehard03
quote:
Call it the Tu-95 for the russian equivalent of the B-52

It's a brewery, not a theme park. I think you should deviate naming convention from the get-go, personally.
Linz02Ag
AG
Update?
WorkBoots09
AG
I think I heard something about flying over Chinese airspace or something?
CDub06
AG
I heard their named dropped at Red Brick last weekend
jock itch
Love me some Red Brick!

As for an update: The steam boiler should be finished today and will likely be fired up early next week. My brother and I ended up doing the glycol system ourselves which actually hasn't been too difficult (then again we haven't tested it yet!). Still waiting on the city for the sewer of course, but the brewhouse should be ready to fire up and run a few test brews in the next week or two.

So far the initial lineup is looking like: a hoppy Pils, Wheat IPA, and an Oatmeal Stout.
Linz02Ag
metrag06
Sazerac
AG
Jock,
You guys still have those fermenters for sale?
jock itch
Actually still have one left!
Sazerac
AG
Shoot me an email about it please
chrisclearman
Gmail
Farmer1906
AG
quote:
a hoppy Pils, Wheat IPA, and an Oatmeal Stout.

Good choices.
Texags is garbage
Count me in for IPAs
AlaskanAg99
AG
Why a wheat IPA? What is the wheat contributing to the body of the beer that works well with a higher bitterness and hop flavor profile?
jock itch
Honestly it's more for foam stability than anything else. You're correct that the contribution to body/mouthfeel is almost unnoticeable, but man does it have beautiful, lasting foam!

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 12/9/2013 6:42p).]
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ok that makes sense. You find it adds more head retention than carapils or carafoam?

The only thing you'll most likely get questions are are "So is it like a hefeweizen? Why isn't it cloudy? Where's my orange slice?"

jock itch
quote:
Ok that makes sense. You find it adds more head retention than carapils or carafoam?

I used to throw in a few % Cara-Pils in almost all of our lighter colored recipes, but more and more I'm finding mashing a bit higher accomplishes the same goal since Cara-Pils/Foam is really just increasing the Dextrin content of the wort. Our Pilsner is just 100% Pilsner malt, but mashing at 154-155F seemed to really give us fantastic, lasting foam. Don't get me wrong, Cara-Pils works, but I've always liked the idea of keeping things simple whenever possible.

As far as the wheat I've never really noticed it helping THAT much when in small %'s, but when it makes up 50% of the grain bill the foam is almost always beautiful.

quote:
The only thing you'll most likely get questions are are "So is it like a hefeweizen? Why isn't it cloudy? Where's my orange slice?"

Good point, and we've already had a bit of that.

With that said, the high protein content from the wheat and all those dry-hops keeps it plenty cloudy!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.