Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

B-52 Brewing - Houston

30,099 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jock itch
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the breweries I've seen use a plate filter system. I think just having one of the nice fermenters that will let you drop your trub will make a big difference, especially after a few days of cold crashing.
Sazerac
AG
We killed the first keg at a party last weekend. Not sure if this second one got less suspended yeast or just aged a couple weeks, but it's much cleaner and doesn't have the homebrew flavor.
khkman22
AG
My Belgian Wit doesn't have the homebrew flavor in the couple I've had so far. Maybe I've just had the ones from the middle of the bucket that got the least sediment though. Maybe the wheat flavor does a better job of masking it than my pale ale, IPA and blondes. Although it's a little cloudy at the initial pour, the last half or so is crystal clear.
Linz02Ag
AG
Jock,
Where is Southern Star's new location going to be?
Also how's the progress coming on B-52? Still anticipating tours starting around the end of summer?
jock itch
Hey again all! Equipment is in the Pacific as we speak and is supposed to arrive around July 12th, so naturally we've been running around like chickens w/ our head cut off trying to get everything ready.

quote:
the breweries I've seen use a plate filter system.

We originally weren't going to filter, but I really want to do an American Pilsner and lager yeasts are generally very poor flocculators...especially the highly attenuating strains. I originally was planning on a plate and frame, but after talking w/ the guys at Rahr, they sold me on a lenticular filter. The media is significantly more expensive, but it's backflushable and the entire system is closed/sanitary unlike a plate and frame.

quote:
Not sure if this second one got less suspended yeast or just aged a couple weeks, but it's much cleaner and doesn't have the homebrew flavor.

It's amazing how many beers are just average until given a little time for the yeast to clean up after themselves! Our Black IPA had a little bit of a harsh/roasty bitterness at week 2-3, but tastes like heaven now.

quote:
My Belgian Wit doesn't have the homebrew flavor in the couple I've had so far.

Looks delicious! I love brewing wits because they are supposed to be drank relatively young. Patience has never been one of my stronger virtues.

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 6/25/2013 9:49a).]
jock itch
quote:
Jock,
Where is Southern Star's new location going to be?
Also how's the progress coming on B-52? Still anticipating tours starting around the end of summer?

I might have gotten some bad information as from what I understand Southern Star just leased out the building next door, so I'm not sure if they're going anywhere anytime soon. I'll have to ask Dave at the next guild meeting.

As far as progress, everything is coming together a little quicker than expected w/ the equipment, so we're in full "oh ****" mode trying to get the details ironed out. The city is dragging its heels big time on sewer and natural gas, so that will likely be the deciding factor on when we can actually have beer ready. We're still thinking mid August to early September though.
jock itch
For those not following us on facebook, we did get our first shipment of kegs recently so that was kind of fun (not the loading/un-loading part in the 95 degree heat however).

We weren't able to get our "custom" embossed kegs in time for opening, so we had to order 250 blanks (50% 1/2 barrel and 50% 1/6). 500 more are on the way and should arrive shortly after opening.

jetch17
Linz02Ag
defroach
txag2008
AG
quote:
We weren't able to get our "custom" embossed kegs in time for opening

Lets see the logo!
La Fours
WorkBoots09
AG
Good deal! And I agree, let's see the logo!
jock itch
Our original artist flaked on us so we're getting some more artwork done now, but here's the main motif we're working with so far.

And for our bottle caps and tap handles:

txag2008
AG
very slick, I like it.

Just had to make part of the logo orange huh??
jock itch
Haha, that actually wasn't my doing but now that you mention it...
AgLA06
AG
I love the logo, orange and all!

You've got to have a "soft opening" equivalent for Texags! My email is in my profile if your starting a contact list.
maca1028
Jock, someone I work with says she is a friend of y'all's, she said you are making some excellent progress up there.
jock itch
Cool to hear Maca! The brewhouse and tanks just hit California this week, so we'll potentially have almost all of the equipment this time next week.

Where do you work/how does she know us? Shoot me an e-mail at chad@b52brewing.com if you don't feel comfortable divulging here.
JFrench
AG
good to hear of the progress.

what will we be tasting on the tour?
jock itch
The brewhouse equipment just cleared customs today, so it should be on a train now and will probably arrive early/mid next week!

Jfrench,

So far it's looking like:

- A hoppy American Pils (all American ingredients, but more of a German Pils profile)
- ESB
- Wheat IPA (still piloting a few different recipes since some hop contracts aren't available)
- Black Saison or Black Rye IPA (still waiting to sample the Saison since it was my first shot at it)

Since we'll only have 3 fermentation vessels to start, we'll have to drop something (other than the Pils) for the first tasting. What do you guys think?

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 7/10/2013 9:34p).]
jock itch
Brewhouse and tanks arrived Friday! Have to wait until tomorrow to lift and place the tanks, but still exciting nonetheless.

The mash/lauter tun:

40 BBL fermentor:

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 7/21/2013 8:24p).]
Sazerac
AG
Yes
jock itch
Everything's mostly in place! Just have to hook up all the process piping, plumb the glycol/steam, and then wait for the utility companies to finally hook us up.

Sazerac
AG
So awesome
SecoKid
AG
What size is your brew kettle?
Jock 07
AG
IMO can't go wrong with a black IPA. Looking good
jetch17
wessimo
Linz02Ag
jock itch
quote:
What size is your brew kettle?

20 BBL. It does look deceivingly small in the pic, but we used a wide angle lens and our building is abnormally tall. The mash tun is ~13 feet tall to the top of the rake motor!
streetfighter2012
AG
Very impressive. Do you have any idea what your production goals will be when you guys start up?
Tabasco
AG
Anyone wanting to become a brewmaster? I have a friend that has a small restaurant chain in Houston that is bugging me to be their brewmaster with ownership interest.

He knows I have homebrewes in the past (partial mash), but I keep telling me that I am WAY too amateur for that. His response is "you don't have to quit your job."

I assume he is thinking something like BJ's . Chad, would you do some brew thing like St. Arnold's does for BJs?

[This message has been edited by Tabasco (edited 7/24/2013 3:09p).]
jock itch
quote:
Very impressive. Do you have any idea what your production goals will be when you guys start up?

Based off my math, we'd be hard pressed to put out 3000 BBLs with our current cellar capacity, so until we get more tanks that's pretty much our ceiling.

With the new laws, however, we're actually in the process of switching our license over to a Brewpub. From my understanding we'll be able to sell 10,000 BBL total with 1000 of that coming from tap room sales and/or self distribution. This also includes selling packaged beer at the brewery for you guys to take off-premise now, which should be HUGE for small start-up breweries like ourselves.

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 7/25/2013 7:27a).]
jock itch
quote:
I assume he is thinking something like BJ's . Chad, would you do some brew thing like St. Arnold's does for BJs?

We won't have the cellar capacity at the beginning, but contract brewing is absolutely something we're going to look into down the road! We'd have to put a pen to paper and come up with a volume that makes it worthwhile from a business perspective.

Shoot me an e-mail though and maybe we can get in touch: chad@b52brewing.com

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.