Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

B-52 Brewing - Houston

30,113 Views | 394 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by jock itch
jock itch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Simcoe, Simcoe, and more Simcoe.

Figures! Pick one of the few hops that's completely sold out until next year.

Love, love, love Simcoe though. First time I tried it was Uncle Billy's All-Simcoe Pale and couldn't get enough.
HoosierAggie13
AG
I'd love to see a brewery down here carry a really solid wild ale. Went up to Russian River last month and they have some killer ones. I am also available for any and every tasting opportunities you have
Linz02Ag
AG
quote:
Hopped & screwed DIPA
Must do this
JFrench
AG
i've got a simcoe smash in secondary right now.

i need to roto rooter my nose so I can get better with hop identification. one nostril and snorting dristan isn't working.

schmendeler
AG
Maibock and doppelbock
jock itch
quote:
Maibock

Super weird because I literally just pitched this to the rest of our guys today. Always been a huge fan of the style and it's somewhat rare around here I suppose.

quote:
i've got a simcoe smash in secondary right now.

Jealous. Once hop contracts open up, I was thinking an all-simcoe Pale or something along those lines.

What do you guys think of an all noble hop IPA? Would probably have to use a higher alpha variety for bittering, but using a crap load of late noble additions in an American IPA has always intrigued me.
jock itch
And just kegged our Helles Rauchbier today. Think w/ some minor tweaks to our water, this one's going to be a real winner. After some extended cold-conditioning, the smoke has actually become reasonably subtle considering it's almost 100% smoked malt.

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 2/25/2013 5:56p).]
jetch17
AG
Helles yeah
62strat
AG
quote:
Super weird because I literally just pitched this to the rest of our guys today. Always been a huge fan of the style and it's somewhat rare around here I suppose.

As are most bocks it seems. I pitched idea of Eisbock back on your 'help name the brewery' thread
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=67&topic_id=2146112&message_id=32965900&hi=1#r32965900

My uncle does a lot of bocks and does them well.. several homebrew medals for his Eisbock, dopplebock and maibock.
The Eisbock I mentioned in link above, he just won a silver medal for it. It was aged about 28 months I think.

Man it's a damn complex beer..

He actually still has a second keg of it and is trying to distill just a little more out of it.

62strat
AG
Jock.. that beer pictured right there is your Helles Rauchbier? It's yellow.
jock itch
Never done an Eisbock before, but it sounds fun! Might have to check w/ the TABC to make sure it's legal on the production level though since it's technically a form of distilling.

quote:
Jock.. that beer pictured right there is your Helles Rauchbier? It's yellow.

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's just the camera or the glassware, but it was quite a bit lighter when poured into a Pilsner glass. I would guess it came out right around 4-5 SRM.

62strat
AG
the grains for rauchbier should be charred a bit, giving it a darker color, right?
jock itch
quote:
the grains for rauchbier should be charred a bit, giving it a darker color, right?

We used Weyermann's, but most Rauchmalz is almost identical to Pilsner malt as far as color goes. A lot of brewers add Munich, Carafa, or some other type of roasted grain to give it color, but surprisingly the base malt itself is very light.

Aecht Schlenkerla makes several different varieties, but they have a Helles too. I love that the color throws people off.

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 2/27/2013 4:51p).]
62strat
AG
Is it possible to just 'smoke' the malt w/o actually charring it? Was your specialty malt dark/charred at all?

Not that anyone has to follow any rules in beer making!

But.. to clarify where I'm coming from:
2008 BJCP:
22. SMOKE-FLAVORED/WOOD-AGED BEER
22A. Classic Rauchbier
Appearance: This should be a very clear beer, with a large, creamy, rich, tan- to cream-colored head. Medium amber/light copper to dark brown color.
22B. Other Smoked Beer
Appearance: Variable. The appearance should reflect the base beer style, although the color of the beer is often a bit darker than the plain base style.
jock itch
quote:
Not that anyone has to follow any rules in beer making!

Exactly!

quote:
Is it possible to just 'smoke' the malt w/o actually charring it? Was your specialty malt dark/charred at all?

We didn't use any specialty malt at all other than 3% Cara-Pils for head-retention, but yeah with low/in-direct heat it's definitely possible. Smoking our own malts is something I'm definitely looking forward to!

quote:
But.. to clarify where I'm coming from:

2008 BJCP:
22. SMOKE-FLAVORED/WOOD-AGED BEER
22A. Classic Rauchbier
Appearance: This should be a very clear beer, with a large, creamy, rich, tan- to cream-colored head. Medium amber/light copper to dark brown color.
22B. Other Smoked Beer

Appearance: Variable. The appearance should reflect the base beer style, although the color of the beer is often a bit darker than the plain base style

Yeah, it's weird how little info the BJCP guidelines give for Rauchbier. This is the style guideline we used (roughly):

quote:
19A. Bamberg Style Helles (Smoke) Rauchbier Lager

GABF Style Listing (2007)

Helles Rauchbier should have smoky characters that range from detectable to prevalent in the aroma and flavor. Smoke character is not harshly phenolic, but rather very smooth, almost rendering a perception of mild sweetness to this style of beer. This is a medium-bodied, smoke and malt-emphasized beer; with malt character often balanced with low levels of yeast produced sulfur compounds (character). This beer should be perceived as having low bitterness. Certain renditions of this beer style approach a perceivable level of hop flavor (note: hop flavor does not imply hop bitterness) and character but it is essentially balanced with malt character to retain its style identity. Helles Rauchbier malt character is reminiscent of freshly and very lightly toasted sweet malted barley. There should not be any caramel character. Color is light straw to golden. Noble-type hop flavor is low but may be perceptible. The aroma should strike a balance between malt, hop, and smoke. Fruity esters, diacetyl, and chill haze should not be perceived.

Color SRM (EBC): 4-5.5 (8-11 EBC)

jock itch
Hey again guys...

Going to be piloting a new beer this week and want to work on something for the "cross-over" beer crowd. Any ideas?
jock itch
As far as progress goes, we finally got some clearing going.

JFrench
AG
so you cleared all that brush so we could see the lady but then couldn't zoom the camera in?

i think the maibock is a good crossover considering how beloved the Bock name is in Texas.

how about a Mexican Pale lager with alot of Citra flavor and aroma. Necesario No Cal.

[This message has been edited by JFrench (edited 3/13/2013 10:16a).]
jock itch
quote:
so you cleared all that brush so we could see the lady but then couldn't zoom the camera in?

That's my soon to be sister-in-law, so I suppose it's a little weird for me.

quote:
how about a Mexican Pale lager with alot of Citra flavor and aroma. Necesario No Cal.

I like it! Since we'll likely be opening in July, it will be nice to have something light, crisp and refreshing.
Atty_Ag
I've really enjoyed following this thread. Continued best wishes to you!

I vote for something crisp as well. It's gonna be hot soon enough.
JFrench
AG
fair enough on the sister in law.

for what any of this is worth:

wife has a background in microbiology. currently stays at home with the kid but getting stir crazy. if you ever get to the point of needing someone like that she can be had cheap and part time.

any angel investing options down the road I'd love to listen. could put together a group who would do it solely to claim they owned part of a brewery. completely hands off though. all come with a pretty successful sales background.

i used to have personal contacts at Ben e Keith beverage and possibly Silver Eagle. I don't understand how the distributors work but could maybe open a door.

and lastly, i work in the stainless steel industry. have a lot of local machine shop contacts. we aren't niched in sheet or plate but can either put you into the right place.

my posts are probably hard to read. type 1 handed while on the phone.
jock itch
Sorry for not getting back w/ you sooner Jfrench. Send me an e-mail whenever you get some free time.

chad@b52brewing.com
jock itch
I should have posted this earlier, but for those of you interested in following us on Facebook, the support is greatly appreciated!

www.facebook.com/B52Brewing

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 3/18/2013 12:54p).]
jetch17
Linz02Ag
AG
Forgive me because I haven't read the whole thread recently. Wanted to know what kind of timeline you're looking at to have this operation up and running with brewery tours/tastings?
jock itch
Equipment is supposed to arrive early-mid June, but from talking to others it almost always takes longer.

Probably unrealistic, but I would LOVE to be open for the 4th.
TX_AG_10
AG
Nice to see another brewery coming to the Conroe area! Can't wait to swing by for some Saturday tours! Good luck OP!
Linz02Ag
AG
Will be nice to have another brewery in the area for summer brew tours!
jock itch
Thanks guys! Looking forward to drinking a few beers with yall.
jkotinek
AG
quote:
Hopped & screwed DIPA
jock itch
Hey again all! My apologies for the lack of updates. I'm in Fort Worth for the month interning at Rahr, so if any of yall are from around here and make it out to a tour...stop by and say hello!

That's assuming they don't "fire" me for drinking all their beer of course.

[This message has been edited by jock itch (edited 4/1/2013 9:10p).]
diehard03
whats going on with the website? it's like mid construction...
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Cant wait for this to be available. Best of luck to you sir.

Going to have to score my old man some whenever its finally available, since he flew B-52s for a number of years in the USAF.

Cheers!

----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
Idk3
AG
Just came upon this thread as I had given up Texags for Lent - something about addiction.

Anyway, this is awesome to hear and I wish B-52 luck. Being up in the Hoodlands it will be an easy trip when y'all are open.
DaveHimself
AG
Jock - I'll be at the tour tomorrow with my wife. Guess I'll just ask the first Rahr guy I see to talk to jock itch

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.