Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Supermarket Coffee

7,322 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by B-1 83
AlexNguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm a little bored of drinking my usual supermarket brands: Folger's Classic Roast, HEB San Antonio blend.

Can anyone recommend a good tasting coffee available at the grocery store?
JohnnyShotgun
Community Coffee is a great cup of coffee. They have several blends and I have not had a bad one yet. Their restaurant blend is excellent if you can find it.
Allen76
AG
I just finished a bag of Columbian Bacuramonga, one of the HEB brands. It is slightly stronger than "medium". I liked it a lot.

I have started on a bag of Seattles Best Coffee. This is a medium strength and I like it a lot too. I got it at HEB.

Both of those are very common and won't hurt the pocketbook.
Max06
AG
Try Independence Coffee Co's "Jet Fuel"

I LOVE it.
AlexNguyen
Thank you, gents.

Picked up a few recommendations in person from coworkers: Eight O'Clock coffee & Gevalia House Blend.

I guess I'll pick up one or more of the suggestions this weekend. Thanks, again.

Bruce Almighty
AG
I live in Missouri, so the stuff sold here isn't the same as in Texas except the nationally sold stuff. As far as national brands, I like Starbucks columbia roast and Thanksgiving Blend and Caribou Daybreak Blend. And yes, coffee snobs, I realize drinking Starbucks is a sin.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Try Community. I love the stuff.
Hodor
AG
Check and see if they have any Italian brands. My HEB used to carry Lavazza, but, sadly, they don't any more. Bought some Caffe Verganno 1882 last time, and love it.

If you go to Target, look for Archer Farms Nicaragua El Paraiso. Excellent, and from an Aggie-owned producer according to an AO post from a few months ago.
bam02
AG
Folger's Colombian Supreme. It's good.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i've been surprisingly impressed by the safeway select coffee. i'll usually pick up the whole-bean of kona blend or french roast for my weekday-morning coffee, fresh ground and it's pretty good (way better than the crap at my office at least)
AustinAgChef
Picked up some of the Independence "Jet Fuel". Good stuff!

Thanks for the recommendation Max!
Max06
AG
Glad you like it!
jaypunkrawk
AG
As a coffee snob, I can't recommend anything in your typical supermarket, but if you must, buy whole bean and grind it yourself. You can thank me later.
rae13
AG
quote:

I LOVE it.

I learned about them through a case for my management class, so I went and bought some. It's great!
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
quote:

I LOVE it.

I learned about them through a case for my management class, so I went and bought some. It's great!

Dr. Sieberts class ftw!
rae13
AG
quote:
Dr. Sieberts class ftw!

Absolutely. I had two classes with him this semester! Loved them!
WACOAG90
AG
try stewart's -- at heb. i enjoy it and guests always comment on it favorably.
sts7049
AG
eight oclock and cafe dumonde
AlexNguyen
Thought I would provide reviews/updates as they come up.

I bought Community Five Star Hotel Blend and Community Cafe Roast Blend to start with. I do not care for the Five Star Hotel. It has a slightly tart, fruity aftertaste which I find odd. The Cafe Roast is more like 'normal' coffee to me and I like it just fine.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I can drink gallons of that Hotel Blend at a time. I also like the new orleans-chicory blend. But if you don't like chicory, you'll hate it. It's full and acidic.
AlexNguyen
Never had the Community Chickory but coffee with chickory is widely used in Vietnamese cafes when they are making that iced coffee drink with condensed milk. Cafe Du Monde is the usual brand from what I've observed.

Just sampled some of HEB Cafe Ole Cup of Christmas when I was in the store. If you like a fruity tasting coffee, this is it.
The Milkmaid
AG
I love the HEB "Taste of" varieties and I have been jumping for joy now that they are doing k-cups. I like Taste of San Antonio too but maybe you should try the Hill Country one or the Houston variety.

Probably not available in a grocery store but I had Einstein Bros.' Winter Blend yesterday and it was great.
Quantum ace
AG
As a coffee snob, you are not going to get anything "good" at a supermarket. You also better not be using tap water and a cheap blade grinder, and any beans over two weeks old should be burned with fire to make sure no one accidentally uses them. You should be on a first name basis with your roaster, but still checking up on the plantations he is getting his beans from.

As a coffee enthusiast, anything is good as long as it isn't too weak, burned, or artificially flavored.

quote:
eight oclock and cafe dumonde

sts speaks truth. I will also mix in Community and Dunkin Donuts (the wife likes it).

I have also been known to drink a couple of the HEB flavored blends on occasion. Is it a sin to flavor coffee? Of course, but sometimes wrong just tastes so right. There was one with cinnamon and pecan that I like.
Hodor
AG
quote:
As a coffee snob, I can't recommend anything in your typical supermarket, but if you must, buy whole bean and grind it yourself. You can thank me later.

Unless you roast your own, you can't call yourself a coffee snob, IMHO.

I work with a guy who won't drink coffee that was roasted more than 48 hours before brewing. Something about unstable organic compounds that degrade, no matter how well sealed the package or how cold the beans are stored. I haven't tried it, myself, so I won't try to speak to the validity of his opinion.
555-PINF
Only thing I've noticed about HEB KCups is that they seem to be poorly constructed. I ha a whole box that wouldn't brew - I only got a few ounces out before the cup clogged and no more came out. My next box has had two that wouldn't brew. I've never had another brand of KCup do that to me.

HEB
wadd96
AG
Grabbed a bag of Nicarauga El Pariso yesterday. We'll see how it drinks.

"Today, we showed the resolve of the United States. Today we made a statement to the world... That you can hit us, you can knock us down, but we're gonna get up. And when we do, we will find you and kick your ass!"
- Robert E Clark II, Cpt USN, Commandant of Midshipmen May 1, 2011
ORAggieFan
quote:
quote:

Unless you roast your own, you can't call yourself a coffee snob, IMHO.

I work with a guy who won't drink coffee that was roasted more than 48 hours before brewing. Something about unstable organic compounds that degrade, no matter how well sealed the package or how cold the beans are stored. I haven't tried it, myself, so I won't try to speak to the validity of his opinion.
Then the guy is an idiot. As someone that has roasted you usually want to wait 48-72 hours before using after the roast. The beans releas CO2 during this time and although are good you don't get the depth. But then use within 2-3 days from that point.
I Sold DeSantis Lifts
Bump. HEB espresso.
Teslag
AG
The HEB Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and the Sumatran Mandheling whole bean are great in a French press.
B-1 83
AG
Salute The Marines said:

The HEB Ethiopian Yirgacheffe and the Sumatran Mandheling whole bean are great in a French press.
Don't have a French Press, but those varieties are my favorite. Both have an "earthy" flavor I like.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.