Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Recommendations on buying a wok

8,449 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Icecream_Ag
Kitten With A Whip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I adore stir fry type foods and they seem fairly quick and easy for busy week night meals. Would love to buy a wok, but I am clueless about what to buy. I would like it to not weigh a ton and a size I can handle. I'd like to avoid anything non-stick. I am also not a professional chef, but I do like to cook and learn as I go.

Any suggestions or tips on what to look for? Links to what you suggest would be great!

csagyo
Katt, I spent $110 on mine at bed bath and beyond. It's big, it heats up fast!! Love it. Don't skimp on price. Used mine last night (spicy schzewan chicken with shrooms, brocolli, bell peppers and garlic!!!!
csagyo
Had it almost 2 years and they still sell it.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13690693
bonfirewillburn
AG
A) do you have a gas stove.? You will want to get a wok cradle, as well(they are like 10 bucks). If you have electric don't even bother. A residential gas stove doesn't have the BTU's to actually stir-fry, but that honestly doesn't stop me

B) I would suggest a mandarin wok for you, it has the long handle. As opposed toa a Cantonese that has the two loop handles.

C) are you still in CS, go check out kesco restaurant supply. Se if they have any. The should be less than 50 bucks. I couldn't imagine spending 110 fo a wok.......mine I got from , carbon steel, a medium size, think it was 35 bucks....will last my lifetime.

d) go buy "breathe of a wok". This book will teach you how to stir-fry properly. It is a different concept of cooking that most of us don't understand.

If you have an outdoor propane burner that has a pretty high output, that's going to be best for stir-frying. They have to be screaming hot to cook well.
And don't spend $100 for a wok, that's just silly. Go to an Asian grocery store, and get a carbon steel wok. They are about $20.
FIDO*98*
AG
Buy a 14" carbon steel fry pan. It will do a better job for stove top stir frying. Even my 15,000 btu Viking leaves much to be desired for a Wok.

Wanna know what I use for a wok burner?

Kitten With A Whip
Thanks for the replies. I have an electric stove, so I guess I'm out of luck. I may try the carbon steel fry pan, though, and see how it fares. Even if I can't use it for stir-fry, it never hurts to have another skillet. I'll check Kesco!

Thanks for the reading recommendation, too!

[This message has been edited by Kattx07 (edited 1/30/2012 11:16a).]
Tree Hugger
AG
quote:
If you have an outdoor propane burner that has a pretty high output, that's going to be best for stir-frying

This.

I do stirfry outside and when I get the outdoor kitchen built (hopefully this year, likely next), I'll have a high BTU burner built in to use for stire fry, turkey/fish fry, and crawfish boils.
MandaPanda
We bought ours at an Asian market for like $10. It's better than the crappy bed bath and beyond one I had before.
HtownAg92
AG
I've been thinking about getting a new wok also - carbon steel from Hong Kong Market here in Houston. I know that you are supposed to get a flat bottomed wok for western kitchens, even gas cooktops. I have the cooktop below, which has a "power" middle burner (15k BTU) that could probably produce the heat necessary to properly stir fry, and that seems to be able to cradle a round bottom wok. Anyone have a similar configuration? And should I get a round bottomed wok (preferred)?

bonfirewillburn
AG
DO NOT GET A FLATBOTTOM WOK!!!!!!

The shape of a wok is what is important. It allows for the heat radiate/convect (whatever the science is...properly) When you stir fry you want INSANE heat and the food never stops moving.

15,000 BTU is not enough, but that doesn't stop me . Get a wok ring (or make one out of foil like i often do so the heat hits the bottom of the wok and whisks up the sides. With just holding over the great the middle of the wok doesn't become super heated. There is a "ring" about 2-4 inches up the wok that is, but it kinda defeats the purpose.

Im actually VERY intrigued by the BGE for this application, as long as you wok fits the opening and you get some good flam going it really could be ideal!

AG
Wok Shop store on Amazon. It is a shop in Chinatown in San Fran. I bought this years ago and it is serving us well. Not good for electric top though.
http://www.amazon.com/Handhammered-carbon-steel-Pow-wok/dp/B00011UHJ2/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1328023312&sr=1-4
FIDO*98*
AG
My burner is similar and doesn't balance my round wok well. I have a flat bottom that works much better than the round, but, as I said above I stir fry indoors in my 14" fry pan. I have 15K stove and it still is underpowered for a Wok. Works great for a fry pan stir fry though.

I doubt many home cooks have the skill for true wok work anyway. It's probably my weakest skill and I work at it a lot. A heavy flat bottom carbon fry pan will give you a nice even seer and doesn't allow juices to pool like you'd get with an underheated wok.

FIDO*98*
AG
Oh, and buy the 'Breath of the Wok' cookbook
HTownAg98
I've got a 65K BTU propane burner that I use for cooking with a wok, and I wish I had more sometimes. I have to wear a heavy leather glove when using it to keep from burning myself. As long as I don't overload it, the wok works great.
HtownAg92
AG
Good answers. Thanks.
bonfirewillburn
AG
quote:
Oh, and buy the 'Breath of the Wok' cookbook

or that.....<black eye>
quote:
d) go buy "breathe of a wok"

i spel gud....

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 1/31/2012 9:58a).]
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
Im actually VERY intrigued by the BGE for this application, as long as you wok fits the opening and you get some good flam going it really could be ideal!

I took a cheap 18" steel grate and cut a hole in the middle to make my wok ring. I let it rip until the thermometer is pegged (1,000 degrees) and then I put my 16" wok in it. I'll send you a picture next time I set it up.
bonfirewillburn
AG
I already "retrofit" my cast iron grill for better heat control when Im smoking, I could build a brick nest to stir fry in that.....hmmmmmm

AG
Seems like a propane turkey fryer would work also.
HTownAg98
That's essentially what I use.
bonfirewillburn
AG
absolutely you can! It is recommended, I just like being cantankerous when it comes to my outdoor cook space. Rube Goldberg cooking out in backyard. Hell, I've cold smoked in a cardboard box
HTownAg98
Me too, though I got a visit from a neighbor when he saw smoke coming off my balcony.
SpicewoodAg
AG
I disagree that a flat bottom wok can't work. If you have an electric stove, using a round bottom wok with a ring just doesn't conduct enough heat.

I think the wok needs heat that scares you more than it needs a round bottom. You can overcome the deficiency of a flat bottom with more attention to stirring. But you can't overcome the problem of a wok that isn't hot enough. It won't sear.

Heat the wok on highest heat. Don't add oil until a drop of water disappears instantly. Then add oil, wait till it hints of smoke, then your garlic, ginger, red pepper, etc. Then 1st pass of meat....etc.
HtownAg92
AG
I went to the Hong Kong market on Bellaire yesterday and didn't pull the trigger on a carbon steel wok because they all looked kind of crappy - thin material, almost cut my finger on the unfiled edge of one. I decided to check with some Vietnamese friends and they said that the woks there are big and cheap, but not very good quality and won't last long. Said I was better off getting one from an American store.

Thoughts? Anyone ever gotten a wok from Ace Mart or another restaurant supply place?
bonfirewillburn
AG
Acemart baby!

they have a rack of MANY different sizes!

[This message has been edited by bonfirewillburn (edited 2/2/2012 5:17p).]
bdunk11
AG
Saw this a while back. It may help: http://wangyip.posterous.com/equipment-how-to-buy-a-wok-serious-eats
biobioprof
I agree with most of that linked article, and I generally like the author's work at Serious Eats. But I think my cheapo Beijing style 14" carbon steel "pow" wok works fine, even though it is thinner than 14 guage. I bought it at the asian grocery down where Texas runs into 2818, near the Goodwill.

The main problem I had was the wok ring didn't sit well on the burner grate of my stove. Putting the usual round ring on top of the burner grate placed it too far from the flame. It was better if took off the grate before I put the ring on the stove, but the shape of the stovetop made it impossible to put the round ring in the rectangular depression in a stable configuration (the small side of the ring was still too large). I ended up getting a grate that has protrusions that support the wok. I swap that with the regular grate when I cook with the wok.

I find it odd that various articles complain about hot spots in a wok. The whole point of the shape is for the bottom to get much hotter than the sides, allowing you to stir the food through different temperature areas.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Thinking about this one. Comments?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OFREDC/ref=pe_139520_22653430_pe_vfe_dt4
HtownAg92
AG
Finally got a carbon steel wok from Ace Mart - 20" round bottom. I think it was about $25. Cleaned the hell out of it with soap and steel wool, then seasoned it per the instructions from the Wok Shop lady in San Francisco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNPe5-swL-k

(My wok did not look like that at the beginning. Needed a lot of scrubbing)

20 minutes upside down in the oven with a coating of peanut oil, then seasoned on the stove. Didn't have Chinese chives on hand, so I seasoned it with cilantro and chunks of ginger.

Test drove it last night with a simple vegetable stir fry with noodles. Awesome.
Star1

Icecream_Ag
S
creates an account to bump a 5 year old thread to pimp his product

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.