Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Laynes Sauce Recipe?

49,449 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Linz02Ag
gigm09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know it? I live out of state and chicken tenders sound pretty good right now.
FIDO*98*
AG
I don't know the ratios, but, I use mayo, heinz chile sauce, wooster sauce, lots of cracked pepper, and salt. I've had it side by side with Layne's and it's close enough, but, better because I used fresh cracked pepper.

Lately i've also been adding a dried cherry steak sauce as well. Changes the flavor profile from Layne's, but, makes it even better.
RoosterAg12
AG
Used to work at Layne's and we had to sign a contract with the owner to never give out the ingredients. But we never new the exact measurements of the spices used cause it was all premixed. Made 5 gallons at a time so making into a smaller portion would be difficult.
MHLY01
AG
Here are copies from a previous post which I saved.

Layne’s Sauce
Here's two recipes I have for Layne's sauce. Both claiming to be the real deal. They're both similar. It's been so long since I've eaten at Layne's, I'm not sure which one is closer.

3/4 c. Mayo
1/4 c. Ketchup
5 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
Combine all ingredients well and refridgerate for at least 72 hours before serving.

AND/OR

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
Generous amount of black pepper.
Combine all ingredients. It will start to look and taste right as you blend them together, but it is best to let the sauce sit for a few hours before serving.
RoosterAg12
AG
Yea thats pretty close. If you live in the area you can buy it by the cup for next to nothin.
Hugh Jass
AG
Does anyone know if they use mustard (dried or otherwise) as a key ingredient? I was experimenting with a mustard-based kabob marinade one time and I remember thinking that it tasted very similar to Layne's sauce.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Not a Layne's recipe, but here's what I make to dip stuff in - chicken, pork, anything that I think needs something extra.

I know no ratio's, I just eyeball, but the 1st two ingredients are roughly two to one (2mayo, 1 mustard) adjusted to how much tang I want.

Mayo
Mustard
Worcestershire sauce (about 1 teaspoon assuming 2TBS mayo, 1 tbs mustard)
Lot's of garlic powder
Lots of black pepper
pinch of salt

Great dipping sauce for otherwise uninspiring chicken/pork dishes, and french fries. My favorite is when my wife heats up Target brand chicken nuggets (as far as frozen nuggets go, these things are crack).
gigm09
AG
quote:
If you live in the area you can buy it by the cup for next to nothin.

I wish I did. I am in NYC where there is no Tex-Mex and most other foods costs more than they are worth. It has inspired me to learn how to cook all the foods I love from back home though.

[This message has been edited by gigm09 (edited 10/24/2011 10:48p).]
gigm09
AG
I am going to try this this week. I will just start adding these ingredients until I think that it tastes right, since there is not an agreement on the proportions.
CDub06
AG
Looks like I have a project tonight
NATE AG03
AG
Very excited to see this thread. I have always wondered what was in this sauce. Definitely making chicken tenders this weekend to try it out.
gigm09
AG
Thanks for all the tips!
My wife and I made this tonight along with some chicken tenders and some french fries. It all hit the spot. Below are the recipes for everything, along with the pictures.

For the sauce, I took a little bit from what everyone said above and tweaked it until it tasted right. I think it is spot on, but as a disclaimer, it has been a few years since I have had Layne's. I would double the recipe if you are making 4 or more servings. Also, make it the night before; it tasted better and more melded the next day.
3/4 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 cup of ketchup
5-6 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper (possibly even more)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika

For the chicken, I used four chicken breasts and put them in this brine this morning. The chicken was fairly juicy (first time I have used a brine on chicken, if you have a better recipe feel free to chime in).
1/2 gallon water
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/3 cup brown sugar

Here is the batter that I used for the chicken. It was good but could have been crispier and stuck better.
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 cup flour
4 tsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
Cut chicken fillets into long strips and soak in milk for 1 hour.
Drain the chicken, reserving the milk.
Whisk reserved milk, eggs, and lemon juice together.
Combine the flour, spices, and salts.
Dip chicken pieces in seasoned flour, dip in egg mixture, and re-coat with flour.
Deep fry at 360 for 5 minutes

The fries were very good. They are like Five Guys if you have ever had that.
I cut up four Idaho potatoes and fried them for five minutes at 360. When they came out I tossed them with generous amounts of Tony Chachere's, ground red pepper, paprika, and fresh ground pepper.

[This message has been edited by gigm09 (edited 12/10/2011 10:10p).]
Garrelli 5000
AG
I just finished dinner a little while ago and I'm not hungry AT ALL....

And that looks freaking awesome! I'd bite the S*** out of it right now.
dreyOO
no kidding. looks great
FIDO*98*
AG
Looks great and solid recipes for both. Try self-rising flour next time and they'll come out a little crispier
gigm09
AG
Never used self rising flour, but it makes sense. Do you usually use that for frying?
FIDO*98*
AG
Yep, I use self rising in my fried chicken and CFS.

I also batter in a crepe-consistency beer batter and dredge in the seasoned flour. I've found it gives you a very light and flaky crust compared to the standard egg wash
tremble
AG
Will be trying to make that this week.

Looks amazing.
LGAggie
AG
I had to trudge though 7 pages to find this and I think it was worth it. I'll be making this tonight!
Linz02Ag
AG
Here’s my version that makes a pint jar full.
1 cup Duke’s mayonnaise (my favorite)
1/4  cup ketchup
1/4 cup Heinz chili sauce  (DO NOT substitute Thai Chili Sauce)
1 heaping teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1/4 cup light olive oil
juice of one lemon
Mix all ingredients well and store in refrigerator overnight.
**Adapted from several recipes I've tried
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.