Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pappasitos Fajita recipe?

557,050 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by agcrock2005
AgFB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any idea what goes into that marinade? I googled and it looks like it has pinneapple juice and some others...anyone with some inside info?

Haven't found better steak fajitas on the planet.

TIA
coscaggie
AG
I make one that is just as good imo.

1 cup pineaple juice (good stuff).
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 fresh squeezed limes
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 jalepono
1/3 cup onions
1/3 cup water.
Cumin
Salt
Pepper

Combine in ziplock back and let marinate overnight.
agbq06
AG
Not sure what goes in it, but my brother worked there a few years ago and there is some process they use to get the marinade in the meat. IIRC the run it through some machine with the marinade.
Reel Aggies
AG
^^^^ prob a vacuum tumbler
AgFB
AG
Thanks guys!
nic01o
AG
Pappasitos marinade is 3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce, and 1 part water
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Coscaggie, that sounds freakin' delicious. Gonna try it sometime this week. Need to make some salsa and let it sit a few days first.
RGV AG
AG
Pineapple juice on fajitas??? Hereasy I tell you.
FIDO*98*
AG
Take cosc's recipe which is from a west coast chain called Chevy's and add a cup of Claude's fajita marinade and you'll have mine

A couple of other tips

-Don't over marinate. Part of why Papasitos are so good is they still taste like beef. 4-6 hours max. Overnight is wayyyyy too long

-Use loin flap instead of skirt steak. You can buy it at Costco. It's very similar to skirt, but, slightly thicker and much less connective tissue

- If you want to do an overnight thing, sprinkle lightly with Adolph's meat tenderizer and wrap tightly. It's made from Papaya I think and contains an enzyme that breaks down meat fibers

- Don't cook past medium doneness

WARNING: try them this way and you'll never want the pre-marinated garbage again!
CharlieMac
Reel Aggie hit it on the head! I don't know the marinade recipe, but I watched it tumble daily for a year of my life..
MJK316
I worked for Sito's for 4 years, the 3 parts pineapple juice, 2 parts soy sauce and 1 part water are dead on. Ususally only marinate a few hours, NEVER over night and into the vaccum tumbler it goes. for abouit 20-30 minutes.
tremble
AG
quote:
Use loin flap instead of skirt steak. You can buy it at Costco. It's very similar to skirt, but, slightly thicker and much less connective tissue

I've been using that recipe with flank steaks and they come out amazing every time. I was having issues with actual fajitas but hopefully this fixes it!
country
AG
Does Pappasito's use flank or skirt steak?

[This message has been edited by country (edited 11/2/2011 11:36a).]
FIDO*98*
AG
They use tenderized outside skirt steak. Loin flap is a perfect substitute

Go review my previous post. Pappasitos fajitas taste like what they are supposed to....beef cooked over wood charcoal. Most people are so used to nasty cryo pack pre-marinated garbage or marinating overnight then cooking on gas that they assume there is some trick. Just keep it simple
SouthTexasAg06
AG
If you use sirloin flap, be sure to butterfly it, if not it's too thick in the center, too thin on te edges.

Also the above recipe is good, try adding a little orange juice as well.

Pineapple juice is a must though, it carries the enzyme that tenderizes the meat
Ray Guy
AG
I'm trying the sitos marinade tonight. I'll post pics and critique later.
Ray Guy
AG
The flavor was so familiar and spot on. I thought I was eating at pappasitos. Thanks guys for the marinade recipe.

LGAggie
AG
Used cosc's recipe and they turned out great.
biobioprof
Is the pineapple juice fresh? If so its got bromelain, a protease that will tenderize the meat... but is also why you don't want to leave it in the marinade too long!
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Ray Guy - did you just use the pineapple, soy, water marinade? Or did you use the other one posted?
MookieBlaylock
AG
I have got to try this- prepack beef fajitas taste horrible
goags2
AG
What kind of pineapple juice?
Is jalapeno whole, seeded, chopped, halved?
OA_02
AG
Do they use the same marinade for chicken?
raidernarizona
On the road for work and saw this thread. Had to go give them a try here in Ft. Worth. Not usually a complainer but I wasn't that impressed. Without the onions which were delicious I would've been really underwhelmed. I've had beef fajitas at Taco Cabana for $6 that were just as good as these at $25.

But the recipe coscaggie posted looks unreal and will be tried!
ftworthag02
AG
Raider, you're crazy! Pappasitos/ uncle Julio's fajitas are amazing and blow away tc's.

You probably think on the border is real Mexican
Bruce Almighty
AG
Pappasitos is good. Ninfas (at least the original) is better.
raidernarizona
Ha! Could've been an off night. I'm just being honest- they weren't anything special. Maybe that location sucks, because the margarita was undrinkable.

Hadn't had fajitas at the original Ninfa's but I agree, that place is badass!
raidernarizona
Just realized your username. Chalk it up to an off night then. And for the record, OTB sucks!
AgFB
AG
Wednesday night is two for one fajita night at Pappasitos. You would think that would not be a great night to go but for some reason they seem to be better that night.

Did you get beef and go with the mantequilla sauce?
raidernarizona
Dang! I went Tuesday night. Did get beef, but no sauce
BMX Bandit
The "original" ninfas has not been owned by the family for a couple of year & fajitas are not anything special anymore. If you want that area & better fajitas, go next door to el tiempo

[This message has been edited by BMX Bandit (edited 7/11/2013 11:35a).]
Blanco Ag
AG
Recipe for Lupe Tortilla beef fajita marinate?
B-1 83
AG
Did the pineapple juice route tonight. Best.fajitas.ever.
Blanco Ag
AG
I did the Papasitos recipe referred to above. Rave reviews from two different parties.

It did inspire the debate between Papasitos and Lupe Tortilla fajitas. I have always preferred Papasitos
Nagler
AG
Anybody know how to make the butter?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.