Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,259,602 Views | 10398 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Stan Crowch
bularry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jh0400 said:

We cancelled our William Chris club membership, because I got tired of getting what felt like mostly not very good Mourvedre in our shipments.
how much wine do they make from the Hye vineyards? any?
jh0400
AG
I can't recall any that we received from Hye.
cecil77
AG
Hadn't looked on their site in a while. I like the fact that they clearly name many of their wines from the vineyard.

I see six Mourvedre, but none from Hye.

HTownAg98
Saturday has not sucked.
houag80
AG
Curious. How was the Arsenal? I have enjoyed other Venge wines.
HTownAg98
Very nice, and actually worth the money.
htxag09
AG
https://instagr.am/p/COIuNriLzkJ
Realm announcing a rose. Any guesses on prices? $75?
cecil77
AG
$195, but it's a bargain!
htxag09
AG
Great value!
greenband
AG
Can any Rose be worth $200 or is it just like a Gucci purse?
HTownAg98
Only if it's a rose champagne. The best rose wines out of Bandol are around $50. And they are great. But there's no way I'm paying that much for domestic rose.
houag80
AG
That's good to know. I have found the majority of his wines to be priced under those of his peers.
BigAg95
AG
houag80 said:

That's good to know. I have found the majority of his wines to be priced under those of his peers.
At first glance I thought this was re: Realm, and I was very confused!

I cracked open a 2018 Herman Story syrah and decanted it for a couple of hours. Fantastic! Think I will replace my annual Realm buys with a case or two of his stuff.
cecil77
AG
Realm Le Fe $60

Quote:

The wine is vibrant with citrus, floral and red fruit notes. There is no impact from smoke. The name, La Fe, is a reminder that winegrowing (and life) sometimes requires a little faith in Nature, in one another, in ourselves, and maybe even in something greater.

Probably high by $20, but in the realm of reasonable...
BigAg95
AG
cecil77 said:

Realm Le Fe $60

Quote:

The wine is vibrant with citrus, floral and red fruit notes. There is no impact from smoke. The name, La Fe, is a reminder that winegrowing (and life) sometimes requires a little faith in Nature, in one another, in ourselves, and maybe even in something greater.

Probably high by $20, but in the realm of reasonable...
I see what you did there...

I was tempted for $60, then I remembered that it's a ros-ay...
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea for $60 I would much rather have a nice Pinot or just buy 2-3 bottles of other rose wine.
MooreTrucker
AG
Today I begin my journey of following in the footsteps of the great Don Cecilio.

I'll be starting my retirement career working in a local winery, doing special events, wine club, pairing classes, etc.

I'm still studying toward the CSW exam in late summer, and this will add experience to that credential. Plus I'll get to work around great people who make awesome wines.
cecil77
AG
Awesome! Can you say where?
JCA1
AG
Congrats! Just let us know where and what the Texags discount is!
bularry
congrats!
bularry
Chipotlemonger said:

Yea for $60 I would much rather have a nice Pinot or just buy 2-3 bottles of other rose wine.
there is no reason to pay $60 for a f'n napa rose. that's as dumb as I've heard. Paying $800 for a cab makes more actual sense
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

Awesome! Can you say where?

Thanks, y'all!

It's English Newsom Cellars. It's what used to be Caprock. New owners, better wine.

I'll be doing some tasting room work, like Cecil does, but also some of the events as well. I'll be working wine clib pick up parties and such, and leading some wine and cheese pairing classes, and wine and food pairing classes, as well.
htxag09
AG
I'm generally pretty anti wine clubs. But got an email from wine folly for a wine club in which they're partnering with wine access. I like wine folly's content and have heard good things in general about wine access so am giving it a go.

My wife and I were already talking about buying more variety from local wine shops due to some of our regular rotation in Napa continuing to increase price. So seemed like good timing
MooreTrucker
AG
htxag09 said:

I'm generally pretty anti wine clubs. But got an email from wine folly for a wine club in which they're partnering with wine access. I like wine folly's content and have heard good things in general about wine access so am giving it a go.

My wife and I were already talking about buying more variety from local wine shops due to some of our regular rotation in Napa continuing to increase price. So seemed like good timing
Sadly we don't have any local wine shops, so wine clubs from the various wineries is the best way for us.
htxag09
AG
I consider there to be two different types of wine clubs, winery wine clubs and third party wine clubs.

We have a couple winery wine clubs were members to. But for most wineries i just choose which wines I want to buy on an allocation system. I don't necessarily like every wine at every winery. And it seems most we joined seemed to send the ones I didn't like more often than not.....

My post was mainly referring to the third party wine clubs. Have friends that do them and it just seems like it's marketing bs for unsold wines. To be fair, the wine folly one may be exactly that. But i trust the brand, right or wrong, so we'll see.
MooreTrucker
AG
We haven't had good luck with the 3rd party clubs, but like you I think WF is a good brand and I would give them a shot.
agdaddy04
AG
Very cool, we'll have to check it out on a return trip to Texas sometime. Just be a slight detour going through Lubbock instead of Amarillo.
MooreTrucker
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Very cool, we'll have to check it out on a return trip to Texas sometime. Just be a slight detour going through Lubbock instead of Amarillo.
Let em know when you're coming through and maybe I can set up a tasting
agdaddy04
AG
Sure will. We live north of Denver now, so it'd probably be close to the holidays.
BigAg95
AG
I'm intrigued by the WF wine club. I do like their content, and the cast of the accompanying videos seems solid. I like the theme ideas as well. It seems like many of them would work best if you open all four bottles at once, so we may need to partner with another couple.

By the way, if any of you are tempted by the Kirkland Barolo, don't. It was all oak on the front and residual sugar on the back. No fruit to speak of. If you are looking for a good $20-30-barolo, it does not exist. Check out Barbaresco instead, there are many bargains to be had there.
jh0400
AG
Nebbiolo Langhe is also worth seeking out if you're looking for a lower priced alternative to Barolo.
htxag09
AG
https://instagr.am/p/COdB_TyD9iq
bularry
htxag09 said:

I'm anti-3rd party wine clubs, too. I have been told sommselect is good.. but to me all these do is compete and hurt local wine shops that try to curate thoughtful and interesting selections.

I'm in a few winery wine clubs, though,
Chipotlemonger
AG
They make more sense when there is more significant value add than just receiving bottles. I can't remember the technical term used for it. When you live closer to them for instance, and can attend nice release parties, meals, etc.

Edit to add: or if you just really like one producer and want to support them and get their wine solely (in which case I'm not talking 3rd party anymore obviously)
MooreTrucker
AG
I think they make sense if you don't have a local wine shop. And if you're not tied to a specific local winery, or like to try new things, they can be useful. And as opposed to Spec's or Total Wine, they can curate for you a bit rather than just wandering the aisles (which can be fun too).
First Page Last Page
Page 232 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.