Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,283,239 Views | 10513 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by bularry
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The final day was Tin City Day, starting at Turtle Rock. Don Burns got his start with Justin Smith at Saxum in 2007 and has been working for Justin ever since. Turtle Rock is another small producer that gets most of their fruit from the James Berry and G2 vineyards, which are some of the top vineyards in Paso. These wines have more body and fruit but have good structure to hold up to some aging. I like to call them "second label Saxum." Don's wife Claudia was pouring in the tasting room on Sunday because the staff needed a day off. They are another small 3,500 case producer who is looking into doing some distribution into Texas because they have so many customers here. Their 2018 G2 Syrah is amazing.

Next we sauntered down the street to Jacob Toft, where Jacob and his wife Kelly make 14 different wines from several central coast sites. We got to taste with their assistant winemaker Fizzell (yes, that's his name), and not only did their regular tasting, but also tried all of their spring releases (I think we got to do this because we always buy some wine from them. I wouldn't expect doing this if you aren't a club member or just drop in). Jacob's best wines are Syrah based, but everything we had here was excellent. We split some of the wines and did some side-by-sides because I was the driver and didn't want to get smashed knowing we had to leave early Monday morning.

Final stop in Tin City was at Desparada, Vailia From's winery and wife of Russell From of Herman Story. If Russell's wines are hit you with a hammer fruit forward, Vailia's wines are more elegant and refined, though I think Russell is having some influence over the red wines. The whites are where she shines, doing all kinds of things with Sauvignon Blanc like aging it in amphora and putting it in acacia wood barrels. If you're looking for something different and tired of drinking gsm wines for several days, make sure you stop here.

The final dinner of the trip was at La Consecha. This is a Spanish influence eatery from the same people that own Il Cortile, which is one of the best Italian restaurants I've ever eaten at. La Consecha also has one of the best cocktail programs in town. We sat outside in their parklet, had some cocktails and appetizers, and split a paella over a glass of wine. We've never had a bad meal in Paso, and La Consecha keeps that streak alive.

Some final thoughts on Paso:
1. The 2018 vintage was spectacular, and 2019 is supposed to be great as well. Time will tell on 2020 if smoke taint shows up. If it doesn't, that will make three straight years with some great wines.
2. It doesn't matter if your politics are left, right, or center: everyone in Paso Robles is ready to load Gavin Newsom onto a rocket and launch him into the sun. For some reason, Paso and San Luis Obispo County got lumped into Los Angeles, so they've had to abide by the same restrictions that are completely irrelevant to a town of 30,000 people. The fact that Newsom hosted a party in an enclosed space at his winery while every other winery had to stay closed did not sit well with a town whose economy is primarily based on wine and tourism. The town had enough and told the wineries and restaurants that they weren't going to enforce any of Newsom's policies, but that they couldn't stop the county or state from doing anything. Most of all the businesses found a way to stay open buy either serving food (if you're a bar) or building parklets in the street or parking lots to have outdoor dining. Walking around downtown Paso Robles, you'd have a hard time believing there's any kind of pandemic except for the masks. We didn't find a single restaurant that closed due to covid, but most everyone is hanging on by a thread right now with reduced staff and cutting costs where they can. The hope is that the city will allow the restaurants to keep the parklets for a while after they go to 100% occupancy so they can recoup some of their losses.
3. Very few wineries are doing any kind of elevated tastings or tours right now because of covid. If those experiences are important to you, you might want to wait a bit. But if you just want to go drink before it gets hot, go now. We never had more than three parties at any tasting except for Calcareous, which I really wouldn't recommend going to anyway. Flights to San Jose are super cheap right now, as are the rental cars. Do not flight into LA or Burbank, because you are required to quarantine. I don't know how or if that is being enforced, but San Jose does not have that restriction right now, and it's the same drive time to Paso from either airport. You can also fly into San Luis Obispo right now for a very reasonable price if you want to cut out two hours of driving.
Since this was our third trip hitting nearly 30 wineries, we probably won't go back for another two years unless someone else wants to go with us and we can take them to our favorites. If anyone wants to go soon, I can give you a list of places to go and places to eat.
cecil77
AG
Noce. Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

fermented on native yeasts
Question: Does that mean wild, uncultured yeasts. Or cultured, purchased yeast of native strains?
HTownAg98
Wild yeasts.
big-ag
AG
Kukkula is awesome. The guy's a bit crazy, but the Noir is hard to beat.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Great write ups!
HTownAg98
big-ag said:

Kukkula is awesome. The guy's a bit crazy, but the Noir is hard to beat.

He's Finnish. It explains so much.
cecil77
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Wild yeasts.

That's just something I'll never quite get. Especially if any "nobility" is ascribed to it. The wine each vintage will depend (literally) upon the direction the wind is blowing during fermentation. I guess it's the challenge or something, and each vintage can be very different...
Goose06
AG
Never done a wine trip through the hill country, but I'm doing a 3 day weekend in may in Fredericksburg, what wineries do I need to check out?

The place we are staying offers a 3 winery tasting tour that includes a driver/sprinter van for about $270/couple. https://absolutecharmwinetours.com/

It says they will take you to 3 of the following wineries:

Signor Vineyards
Safari Winery
Lost Draw Cellars
Bingham Family Vineyards
Slate Mill Wine Collective
Mendelbaum Cellars

Any thoughts on these particular wineries?
cecil77
AG
https://moonsvineyardvoyages.com/Brandon Moon is a good Ag...

I'd love for you to visit me at Inwood Estates. All dry red wine, but is easily the best wine in Texas. Yes, my biased opinion, but shared by many others both in and out of the industry.

Inwood Reservations If you do come by reservations are recommended, but not mandatory. FWIW I'm Reserve bar 1,2, and 3.

Signor - nice facility, mostly Oregon wine
Safari - touristy and crowded
Lost Draw - all Texas
Bingham - all Texas
Slate Mill - off the beaten track west of town - pretty sure all Texas
Mendelbaum - Israeli wines are their main thing. Right next door to us at Inwood.

Honestly, include Calais and William Chris. Much better wine the the ones you listed, and Chris Brundret is a good Ag.
Goose06
AG
Thanks Cecil. How about the uber situation? Is it generally pretty easy for a group of 4 to Uber around to various wineries? We would either be doing this on a Friday or Saturday.
cecil77
AG
Just sent you a PM.

Uber is pretty reliable on weekends, and IMO a better option than the one you mentioned. Many tours have "arrangements" with wineries (and many don't, we don't.) That's just a very restricted list.

I'd add Kalasi to the list of interesting wineries, also.

* If it's Saturday - make reservations. Better for everybody.

* Don't overlook Sunday as a wine day. MUCH lower traffic in the wineries, no bachelorette parties, and everyone is open. I'm not normally there on Sunday, but if you want to arrange something I would certainly enjoy that.
bularry
cecil77 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Wild yeasts.

That's just something I'll never quite get. Especially if any "nobility" is ascribed to it. The wine each vintage will depend (literally) upon the direction the wind is blowing during fermentation. I guess it's the challenge or something, and each vintage can be very different...
is that true? because from what I understand or thought I was told, the wild yeasts will be in the area where the fermentation happens... so the winery, and it will be consistent from vintage to vintage.

but I don't work for a winery like you do so maybe that is too simplistic or isn't accurate, but that's how it was explained to me. so not really relying on the wind.
bularry
cecil77 said:

Just sent you a PM.

Uber is pretty reliable on weekends, and IMO a better option than the one you mentioned. Many tours have "arrangements" with wineries (and many don't, we don't.) That's just a very restricted list.

* Don't overlook Sunday as a wine day. MUCH lower traffic in the wineries, no bachelorette parties, and everyone is open. I'm not normally there on Sunday, but if you want to arrange something I would certainly enjoy that.

I have had good luck with Ubers on weekends, agree with Cecil.

And if they are doing tastings, I'd also add Southold Farms as a top winery, especially if you like/enjoy wines a bit different than the traditional models. They also use almost exclusively Hill Country fruit, so no far west texas juice.

Definitely requires an appt.

Cecil, you had any of the French Connection wines?
HTownAg98
I really liked the Counoise and Roussanne at French Connection. I don't know if they are pouring them now.

I second doing tastings on Sunday. Little to no crowds, and much more laid back.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

is that true? because from what I understand or thought I was told, the wild yeasts will be in the area where the fermentation happens... so the winery, and it will be consistent from vintage to vintage.
That's a fair point if local vineyard density is sufficient. My hyperbole was more meant to question ceding so much control to chance. No control of precise strains, nor inoculation. I also wonder if they feed the yeast during fermentation. Normally the yeast colony needs some supplemental nutrition to be effective.

IMO yeast selection may be second only to the variety/clone of the grape for how the wine will taste.

There's a guy doing it around here with no other vineyards w/in 20 miles of him. I just can't see how that would work.

cecil77
AG
Quote:

Spencer Gatlin and I were at the industry opening (two years?). To be honest I wasn't impressed, but I'm no longer a huge fan of Rhone varieties. Ben isn't going to make bad or flawed wine, and I probably took price point into consideration. At our industry price they seemed a bit more accurately priced than full retail.

If you want to taste Ben Calais wines - make it to Calais. We dropped in Friday to pick a a couple of bottles and he's doing good stuff...

Haven't been to Southold since their opening as well. He was still selling his North Fork LI wines at the time. I need to get out there and try it out. Looking at his website (his dad lives in Boerne, actually attends same church as we do) there's a couple of things that look interesting. He has a fantastic hilltop property, a very nice tasting room and ambitious plans. I wish he could be disabused that you can't grow great Bordeaux varieties in the Hill Country - because you absolutely can.

bularry
I know Calais wines pretty well, I'm a member. My problem with those wines and what I tasted at French Connection on Saturday, is similar to your critique, which is the price point is just too high for the quality. but hey, they were selling away at FC on Saturday. I'm also not sure they are capturing the acidity you need to make Rhone wines interesting...but that is likely more a personal preference/taste

I'm a fan of Southold and what Regan is doing. He has been using almost exclusively hill country grapes since 2018..largely Robert Clay vineyard. He told me he just didn't feel good being so far from the west texas vineyards where he got fruit initially. And he's got a cab in his newest release and has used merlot in blends the past couple of years, so he isn't anti Bordeaux varieties.

And his tasting room has expanded... they've added a kitchen/restaurant space next to it on that hill. We were at the release party Saturday night and the views were incredible as always.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

And he's got a cab in his newest release and has used merlot in blends the past couple of years, so he isn't anti Bordeaux varieties.
I noticed that, need to get out there and try it.

And to be fair, my one conversation with him was when he opened and was talking about the plans for his vineyard.
cecil77
AG
I can't PM you so sorry to ask here...

If you like Ben's wines I'm confident you'd like ours. If you've never been by, or it's been a few years, the quality is higher than ever.

And... If you've been by, we've met and conversed -- I just can't seem to keep people's handles straight with who they are!

cecil.inwood at gmail dot com

aggiecive
AG
Any recommendations for wineries in Napa that have good Malbecs?
Goose06
AG
bularry said:

cecil77 said:

Just sent you a PM.

And if they are doing tastings, I'd also add Southold Farms as a top winery, especially if you like/enjoy wines a bit different than the traditional models. They also use almost exclusively Hill Country fruit, so no far west texas juice.

You have any idea if there food is any good? I see they offer a Sunday brunch tasting and a evening dinner/tasting.
HTownAg98
aggiecive said:

Any recommendations for wineries in Napa that have good Malbecs?

I know that Aperture makes one that you can find retail. Lots of wineries grow and make Malbec, but it's usually restricted to club members because it's grown in such small quantities, and primarily used for blending.
MooreTrucker
AG
A question for all you experts...what are the chances that I can find somewhere a 1959 vintage red? And if possible, how much? I doubt it'll be drinkable but to own a bottle from my birth year would be cool.

And yeah, I'm THAT old.
htxag09
AG
MooreTrucker said:

A question for all you experts...what are the chances that I can find somewhere a 1959 vintage red? And if possible, how much? I doubt it'll be drinkable but to own a bottle from my birth year would be cool.

And yeah, I'm THAT old.

Not sure about secondary market, and not sure id trust it not being counterfeit or stored correctly. But I'd say your chances are pretty damn good at a restaurant (if you don't mind a crazy markup lol). I made a post about it at the time, but a few years ago we had these two bottles at berns in Tampa.

cecil77
AG
MooreTrucker said:

And yeah, I'm THAT old.

Look for Armagnac, you can find really old vintages for not completely stupid money. Three hundred bucks maybe. And it will still be great!

LOL, I know where a couple of '59 DRC La Tache are, but he ain't selling and the price is well into that "stupid" category.

jh0400
AG
A quick search shows that 1959 Armagnac is available, but it's $1,000+. Of course that is likely a bargain compared to a 1959 Burgundy.
cecil77
AG
Looks like prices all over. There's a few under $500 though.

aggiejumper
AG
Look for Port, Sauternes, Madeira, or sherry's, much more affordable and consistent for older wines.

https://www.sommpicks.com/products/1959-domaine-huet-vouvray-moelleux-le-haut-lieu-375ml?currency=USD&variant=29231090925591&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google%20Shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImqWdlPDV7wIVUhh9Ch2MtgmeEAQYCiABEgK6OvD_BwE
MooreTrucker
AG
Thanks all!
JCA1
AG
Winebid.com might be a good place to look. New auction every week and they typically have some old vintages.

Edit - just looked and there several 1959 first growths and some DRC available. But bring your wallet.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just got back from a nice little vacation. Here's the lineup that we accumulated on the trip. Cab/Bordeaux blend heavy group.

The 2016 Clockwise from MacRostie was probably a little young/green. Didn't seem fully there yet. Still nice though!

The 2018 rose wine was a good sipper, not sure what all grapes were used but they blended whatever they used well.

The 2010 Stonestreet was my personal favorite of the 4, but that may have been because I was just more in the mood this week for a black fruit driven wine like that. Aged very well. Smooth and powerful.

The Verite was even more pungent. Has the bones to age decades longer. I seemed to really get a strong deep red fruit hit on this particular one, like a juicy dark mix of cranberry/pomegranate that I couldn't shake in terms of using to describe it. Definitely the show stopper of the group overall! The flavors and aromas were complex and after a decade it's gotten a little bit of that savory dried fruit character to it.

bularry
cecil77 said:

I can't PM you so sorry to ask here...

If you like Ben's wines I'm confident you'd like ours. If you've never been by, or it's been a few years, the quality is higher than ever.

And... If you've been by, we've met and conversed -- I just can't seem to keep people's handles straight with who they are!

cecil.inwood at gmail dot com

I always intend to come by Inwood, but my visits are always so short I haven't got it scheduled. Definitely on my list to do!

And I will definitely make sure you remember the baylor guy on texags, lol
bularry
Goose06 said:

bularry said:

cecil77 said:

Just sent you a PM.

You have any idea if there food is any good? I see they offer a Sunday brunch tasting and a evening dinner/tasting.
no, we had some snacks on Saturday but they were just cooking stuff on a grill outside, not from the restaurant kitchen so I can't speak to that. My guess is it will be good... but might take some time to find a rhythm

the evening views from up there are pretty nice, though.
bularry
JCA1 said:

Winebid.com might be a good place to look. New auction every week and they typically have some old vintages.

Edit - just looked and there several 1959 first growths and some DRC available. But bring your wallet.
I'm not sure how anyone can trust buying really old and expensive wines from auctions and general public. the counterfeit business didn't go away when Rudy got busted.
JCA1
AG
bularry said:

JCA1 said:

I'm not sure how anyone can trust buying really old and expensive wines from auctions and general public. the counterfeit business didn't go away when Rudy got busted.

If you haven't read The Billionaire's Vinegar, I highly recommend it. It's a great read.
First Page Last Page
Page 230 of 301

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.