Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats in your wine cellar?

1,259,017 Views | 10397 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by cecil77
cecil77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pinot also has dozens and dozens of different clones. Virtually all Pinots are blends of various clones which results in very different wines. Pinot was one of the first (may be first) varieties to recognize, develop and endorse clonal differences.

This link is good. It's a complicated subject. I'm far from an expert...

A Wine Geek's Guide to Pinot Noir Clones Around the World
htxag09
AG
Went to mutiny in houston for the first time last night. Been wanting to try it for awhile but the wife got pregnant right when they opened. Had our first "date night" last night so gave it a go.

The owners of kagan cellars own the restaurant. Wine list isn't extremely extensive but lots of smaller producers. And didn't seem like substantial markups either, including by the glass, which was nice.

Food was really good. I had a Chablis and the kagan stagecoach cab and the wife had a sauv blanc and kagan Pinot noir. We enjoyed all the wines as well. Actually bought both the stagecoach and Pinot. Also bought a lava vines Syrah as they've been on my list to try and this is the first place I've seen it.
htxag09
AG
Realm spring allocation out today. Not sure if it was expected, but seems they jacked up the prices for almost every wine.

Hard to say this as it was kind of my first Napa love, but starting to get priced out of Realm. Just too much alternatives at a better value.
aggiejumper
AG
That was me 2 years ago with Realm. Haven't purchased since.
Cyp0111
Crazy expensive
BigAg95
AG
Yep, I had to say no thanks to that one today too.
cecil77
AG
Those prices really are Absurd.

Nine hundred bucks for a magnum of cab franc?

Way too much better wine available for saner (well, a little saner) prices...

So many Napa producers have reacted to their crises with a touch of humility. Profound thanks, steep discounts, enticing offers.

Realm seems to be saying "F-you give us all your money.".

BSD
AG
In before Cecil sees Realm and starts complai...

Oh...

Too late.
BSD
AG
I'm pretty close to dropping Realm. I just love the Crane so much, though. But at $300 a bottle and the owner saying it's still a value? Please...

FTAco07
AG
Random post, but I'm looking for recommendations on wines of similar profile to some of my favorites, but at a lower price point in the sub $40 range that aren't wine club only. Apologies in advance for the following very unsophisticated tasting notes.

I tend to prefer a more restrained fruit profile and prefer earthy (although not full blown old world earthy) and smooth. Some higher end favorites include Darius II and Darioush (their Caravan is ok but not my favorite), Quintessa, and Don Melchor. On the other end of the spectrum, I don't like the sweeter over extracted fruit bombs like Caymus and the Orin Swift lines.

For pinot noir I generally prefer Oregon to CA with favorites including Antikythera (best pinot I've ever tasted) and more recently a Domaine Louis Latour Burgundy that I really enjoyed. Similar theme here of preferring lighter more nuanced juice over fruit forward and darker pinot.

Thanks in advance for any TexAgs expert recommendations.
cecil77
AG
Try some Bordeaux (particularly St Emilion Grand Crus.) Sub $40 may be a challenge for something really good, but $50 isn't. We like:

Ch Fleur Cardinal

Ch Clos Labarde

Ch Laniote If you can find this one, please tell me where!!

Ch Quinalt L'Enclose

Ch Durfort Vivens (Margaux)

among many others.

Total Wine has the best Bordeaux selection I've seen. And there are plenty of St Emilion wines down to the $20 range. Buy a sampling and enjoy the fun of finding one you like! (and then come back here and share...)

htxag09
AG
Agree with Cecil, and would add to explore France in general. You may have to weed through some of the more earthy producers but for lighter wines that are more affordable you can look at Beaujolais. I'm personally a fan of Rhone, right now I'm exploring through crozes hermitage. Definitely going to have higher earthiness on rhone, though.
FTAco07
AG
Thanks Cecil. I've had very hit or miss luck with French wines in the past with the majority unfortunately being misses. I like plenty of Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese, but finding the sweet spot in France has alluded me until stumbling upon the Burgundy I referenced in a restaurant inventory clearance sale. That said, I may swing by Total Wine and give a few of these a shot.

For the Laniote, I am not sure if you're wed to the 2015 vintage, but it looks like you can pick up the 2016 Here
MooreTrucker
AG
cecil77 said:

Try some Bordeaux (particularly St Emilion Premier Crus.) Sub $40 may be a challenge for something really good, but $50 isn't. We like:

Ch Fleur Cardinal

Ch Clos Labarde

Ch Laniote If you can find this one, please tell me where!!

Ch Quinalt L'Enclose

Ch Durfort Vivens (Margaux)

among many others.

Total Wine has the best Bordeaux selection I've seen. And there are plenty of St Emilion wines down to the $20 range. Buy a sampling and enjoy the fun of finding one you like! (and then come back here and share...)

Good info. I'm more of a Left Bank/Pauillac cab heavy blend myself, but yeah I wish we had a Total Wine here.

Sent you a PM, btw.
Austintm
FTAco07 said:

Random post, but I'm looking for recommendations on wines of similar profile to some of my favorites, but at a lower price point in the sub $40 range that aren't wine club only. Apologies in advance for the following very unsophisticated tasting notes.

I tend to prefer a more restrained fruit profile and prefer earthy (although not full blown old world earthy) and smooth. Some higher end favorites include Darius II and Darioush (their Caravan is ok but not my favorite), Quintessa, and Don Melchor. On the other end of the spectrum, I don't like the sweeter over extracted fruit bombs like Caymus and the Orin Swift lines.

For pinot noir I generally prefer Oregon to CA with favorites including Antikythera (best pinot I've ever tasted) and more recently a Domaine Louis Latour Burgundy that I really enjoyed. Similar theme here of preferring lighter more nuanced juice over fruit forward and darker pinot.

That's a tough price point for Cali cabs, so the Bordeaux suggestions are good. Some thoughts :

These are in the $40-50 range, but buy a 6-pack and get the 10% discount:

Catena Alta Cabernet or Malbec (Argentina)
Turnbull Cabernet (Napa -- I'm talking about their white label)
Chateau Montelena

Under $40:

Obsidian Ridge (Paso)
Silver Ghost (Napa)
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Chateau Montelena

Yes! And frequently on sale. I think is pretty much what you described..

HTownAg98
FTAco07 said:

Royal Prince Cabernet. It's normally around $40, but drinks like it is $75-$100.

I like Crozes-Hermitage too, but there's a "danger awaits thee" problem, because there are some well-made wines, and there's a lot of plonk for the same price. If you find a producer that made a Rhone wine from another area, find out if they make a Crozes-Hermitage too.
BullSprig07
AG
Not the first time I've I found your taste running similar to my own on this thread. Been picking this one up at Heights Kroger, they make a good Saint-Joseph as well. Both just under $20.
Water Turkey07
HTownAg98
At those prices, buy by the case, because it's very hard to find good St. Joseph at that price.

Speaking of St.Emilion, I opened this tonight, primarily because I needed to make some room in the wine fridge. For $30, I wasn't expecting a bunch, but it's pretty good. Definitely a food wine.

752bro4
AG
Our Super Bowl lineup...Obvious which one stole the show...

FTAco07
AG
I actually picked up that exact bottle along with a few other recommendations from Cecil and a couple of impulse buys, both French and dry farmed CA.

My wine storage is getting close to capacity so I guess I'll need to get to drinking some of these. I bet a week of not leaving the house due to freezing weather will help accomplish that goal.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
HTownAg98
One of my wife's former students works in the wine department at the HEB in The Heights. Y'all, someone lost their damn drawers in the wine department.
MooreTrucker
AG
Damn! That musta been some FINE wine!!!!!
bularry
Ruffino pinot grigio is a definite panny dropper.....
BSD
AG
Looks like I'm shopping at the Heights now...
cecil77
AG
Damn, looks like I've been spending WAY too much on wine...
JCA1
AG
cecil77 said:

Damn, looks like I've been spending WAY too much on wine...

January and February are rough. And that's even with passing on multiple offers.
HTownAg98
We had to cancel our river cruise to France this summer because of Covid. Wine spending in December and January alone took care of one business class ticket to Paris for when we rebook.
cecil77
AG
LOL, I was referring to the prices of the wine in that pic...
bularry
cecil77 said:

I used to spend that amount, now I'm more often saying "it was just $33, we can open for Tuesday"... and I wonder where all my dang money goes
JCA1
AG
cecil77 said:

Gotcha. Went right over my head.
BullSprig07
AG
Saturday Heights HEB report:
-No pink panties on the floor as of now... but the aisles are packed to the gills with Karen's loading up on Meiomi and Apothic Red so looks promising for some panty dropping as the day goes on
-Picked up some CDR's to get me through the freeze, may throw some into a pot with some venison roast, will see what the weekend holds.
Water Turkey07
cecil77
AG
bularry said:

cecil77 said:

I used to spend that amount, now I'm more often saying "it was just $33, we can open for Tuesday"... and I wonder where all my dang money goes
Get the kids grown and gone and it can double again...
MooreTrucker
AG
CDR?
HTownAg98
Cote du Rhone.
First Page Last Page
Page 227 of 298

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.