Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

5,463,445 Views | 43477 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Daytona22
austinag1997
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
WreckitRalph90 said:

Was hunting for random finds and found a few knob creek CS Rye from 2018. Kind surprised still around.

Came across a GTS and wanted to ask. What's fair pricing on that?

Think I paid $180 in December. Thought that was a good price.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

You throw it down your throat, wince, make some joke about being tough because you stomached whiskey, then you go drink your hop flavored piss water.
Nicely done.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
mazag08 said:

Most of us, at some point, realized that when sipped at the right temperature and at the right pace, there were flavors beyond the standard "whiskey" flavor that we were tasting. Then we got curious. We started reading about the different types. We starting buying. Then we compare them. The we read more, engage our friends and family, taste more, but more. On and on.

That's the thing... I have done some tastings. I appreciate the nuances. I can taste the flavors.

I just don't seem to have the capability to remember all the details.

I did a flight of scotch tasting a few months ago. I marveled at the differences. I really liked some of them (and disliked them!). But I don't remember a thing I learned that evening.
mazag08
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

mazag08 said:

Most of us, at some point, realized that when sipped at the right temperature and at the right pace, there were flavors beyond the standard "whiskey" flavor that we were tasting. Then we got curious. We started reading about the different types. We starting buying. Then we compare them. The we read more, engage our friends and family, taste more, but more. On and on.

That's the thing... I have done some tastings. I appreciate the nuances. I can taste the flavors.

I just don't seem to have the capability to remember all the details.

I did a flight of scotch tasting a few months ago. I marveled at the differences. I really liked some of them (and disliked them!). But I don't remember a thing I learned that evening.
I don't always remember the exact tasting notes of the different whiskies I've tried. That's why I use the distiller app to jot them down and keep track. But forgetting the name of the whiskies I've tried? Maybe the ones that were generally meh, but I remember all of the good ones, and definitely remember the ones I hope to never have to suffer through again.
Johnsy3
AG
I love Distiller - super easy way to keep track of what I've tasted, what notes I got at that time, a taste rating, and a wishlist.
Johnsy3
AG
WreckitRalph90 said:

Was hunting for random finds and found a few knob creek CS Rye from 2018. Kind surprised still around.
I LOVE the Knob Creek Cask Strength rye. Probably my favorite rye. There's a couple bottles at the Spec's on Kuykendahl/Grand Parkway in Spring if anyone lives in the area and is looking.
Goodest Poster
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Fair? MSRP: ~$120. Reasonable secondary:~$450

Correct..i pay 475 and it usually comes in 3 bottles at a time.
WreckitRalph90
AG
I've got a Buffalo Trace single barrel select to trade if anyone's interested. Looking for a few randoms here and there but open to offers
SpiderDude
AG
I'll trade you an Old Granddad Bonded.. it's a better mixer bourbon that BT. I can find a cool sticker for the bottle if that helps?!
AggBock
AG
I wonder if anyone has ever produced the stickers and tried to pass them off?
Saint Pablo
Just watched the documentary Neat, I'm sure it's been discussed on this thread multiple times, but just a reminder for anyone who hasn't seen it. Incredibly well done, informative, and entertaining!
austinag1997
AG
mazag08 said:

Time, experience, passion..

To most people, whiskey is whiskey. You throw it down your throat, wince, make some joke about being tough because you stomached whiskey, then you go drink your hop flavored piss water.

Whiskey is unrivaled except for wine in the nuances and variety of flavors you can get. The whiskey world is crazy, but once you learn the basics of bourbon, irish, scotch, Canadian, etc it really isn't hard to form the knowledge.

This is a really well thought out post. Probably true of most on this board. I would surmise that most of the collective taste experience is in bourbon. Personally, I dabbled with Japanese whiskey long enough to realize that I wasn't impressed (i.e. didn't fit my taste profile). I also think Canadian whiskey is too sweet (again, for my taste profile).
austinag1997
AG
AggBock said:

There is a wine documentary in which a guy created couterfeit wine labels so well that they passed the auction houses as authentic. He was also mixing cheaper wines so well that the wine passed collectors as authentic. Forgot how it unraveled, but one of the auction houses folded as a result.

So, has it been done for bourbon... likely.
CactusThomas
AG
Fake Jack Daniels is made in china
Fall92
AG
AggBock said:

Think NASA Liquor May have done this. They got in hot water w HBS for something.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Johnsy3
AG
mazag08 said:

Time, experience, passion..

To most people, whiskey is whiskey. You throw it down your throat, wince, make some joke about being tough because you stomached whiskey, then you go drink your hop flavored piss water.

Whiskey is unrivaled except for wine in the nuances and variety of flavors you can get. The whiskey world is crazy, but once you learn the basics of bourbon, irish, scotch, Canadian, etc it really isn't hard to form the knowledge.
Perfect post. When I first started drinking whiskey it was jack n cokes and 7-and-7s til one day I noticed I kept wanting more "whiskey" taste. Then I bought a few random bottles and added a splash of soda; then ice and water instead of soda; then just ice; and now 95% of the time I drink whiskey neat.

Then I went kind of backwards - I started getting into scotch once I realized I liked whiskey. A few years ago I started getting into bourbon and now I've recently been trying out different ryes.

Speaking of rye whiskeys - what are y'all's favorites?

What I've tried and how I personally rate it:
  • Knob Creek Cask Strength - 9
  • High West Double Rye! Rum Cask finished (Spec's Pick) - 8.6
  • Whistlepig 12 Yr Old World Cask (Spec's Pick) - 8.5
  • E.H. Taylor Straight Rye - 8.4
  • Whistlepig 10 Yr - 8.2
  • Bulleit Rye (great for cocktails) - 7.5
  • Knob Creek Rye - 7.4
  • High West Double Rye! - 7
  • Rittenhouse Rye (what I usually use for cocktails) 6.8
  • Sazerac Rye 6.6

Bottles I reeeally want to try:
  • A Midwinter Night's Dram
  • THH
  • Boss Hog
mazag08
AG

Quote:

What I've tried and how I personally rate it:
  • Knob Creek Cask Strength - 9
  • High West Double Rye! Rum Cask finished (Spec's Pick) - 8.6
  • Whistlepig 12 Yr Old World Cask (Spec's Pick) - 8.5
  • E.H. Taylor Straight Rye - 8.4
  • Whistlepig 10 Yr - 8.2
  • Bulleit Rye (great for cocktails) - 7.5
  • Knob Creek Rye - 7.4
  • High West Double Rye! - 7
  • Rittenhouse Rye (what I usually use for cocktails) 6.8
  • Sazerac Rye 6.6

Knob Creek Cask Strength - really want to try.
High West Double Rye - Pure rye taste in its most basic form. Would LOVE to try the rum cask finish. Where can I find it?
Whistlepig - I've had one of their at a tasting but that was years ago and I can't remember which one. I really need to grab a couple bottles because I remember my wife absolutely loving it.
EH Taylor - Never had
Bulleit Rye - I use it for cocktails.
Rittenhouse Rye - Haven't had neat. Only in cocktails at bars.
Sazerac Rye - I use it for Sazeracs only, even though there are better options.

My favorites:

Woodford Rye - It's a B+ sipper and A- cocktail whiskey for $30. Hard to beat the flexibility for that price point.
Crown Royal Rye - Most will disagree, but I love the ever so slight bite mixed with the soft sweetness. It's a solid after dinner sipper.
Willet Family Estate 4 Year - A+

Want to try:

EH Taylor Rye
Thomas H Handy Sazerac Rye
Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye
Wild Turkey Master's Keep Cornerstone Rye
Bulleit 12 Year Rye
All the Whistlepigs
Peerless Kentucky Straight Rye
Redemption Barrel Proof 10 Year
High West Midwinter Nights Dram
Parker's Heritage Heavy Char 8 year Rye
CharlieBrown17
AG
The PHC heavy char is good not great. For allocated ryes, the cornerstone rye from turkey is better imo.

On my want to try list right now is the EC rye and Rare Breed rye

Otherwise I mostly agree with yalls takes.

EHT rye is pretty freakin meh to me.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Neither of y'all mentioned Pikesville. That should be on your shelf.

6 yr 110 proof rye in the 50-60 dollar range
mazag08
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

Will add it to the list. Thanks for the heads up.
Texas_Aggie91
AG
My current favorite ryes that I've had are high west Rendevous Rye, KC Cask Strength, and Willett 4 year rye. I agree about the EHT rye being meh and I'm a big EHT guy. I also didn't think the EC rye was all that great. I want to try MWND and THH. Will have to try the Pikesville too.
CharlieBrown17
AG
EC is what got me into better bourbon and ECBP is one of my favorite overall pours

Not expecting too much from the rye, but want to try it for those reasons
HouseDivided06
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

This. Pikesville is outstanding, although I usually find it at Specs for about $45. Also love when I find a good Whistlepig store pick.
Johnsy3
AG
Quote:

High West Double Rye - Pure rye taste in its most basic form. Would LOVE to try the rum cask finish. Where can I find it?

It was a store pick for the Spec's off I45 and Rayford in the Woodlands. Got it late March I believe. I've seen elsewhere where they've released merlot and Pinot noir-finished batches in the past.
austinag1997
AG
THH and Boss Hog are the winners from above for me. Probably won't spring for a $400 - $500 Boss Hog again due to cost. Will continue to buy and trade for THH as much as I can.

And Willett 4 yr Rye has steadily improved since they started distilling in 2012.
WreckitRalph90
AG
What's everyone's thoughts on the rare breed rye? Think it will be good?
WreckitRalph90
AG
Haven't even seen a THH in person. Hoping to fix that this year.
austinag1997
AG
Saw 2 at my local store for $400 per. Just have an issue with a retailer acting like a secondary market.
WreckitRalph90
AG
What's reasonable? Alright to ask what store?
Sazerac
AG
THH

They are never in store. Saved for bar/restaurants as far As I can tell.
austinag1997
AG
WreckitRalph90 said:

What's reasonable? Alright to ask what store?

Lago Liquor. They used to own Don's in Cedar Park. Reasonable is $200. They make a ton of $ at that price. Hell, I would have paid $250.
austinag1997
AG
WreckitRalph90
AG
I need to find me a good liquor store to be a regular at. (Should have started when I moved to cedar park a few years ago)
austinag1997
AG
The new guys at Don's seem friendly/helpful. No clue if they get allocated bottles.
jh0400
AG
WreckitRalph90 said:

I need to find me a good liquor store to be a regular at. (Should have started when I moved to cedar park a few years ago)

This is easier said than done unless you're content to buy a bunch of fairly uninteresting things in hopes of getting a call when they get an allocated bottle.
First Page Last Page
Page 460 of 1243

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.