Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,748,295 Views | 37521 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by tu ag
Stan Crowch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up a bottle of Blantons a few days ago and it came in a box and had a sticker on the bottle that said "staff selection fall 2014". I have never seen it come like that before.
Atty_Ag
Stan, it was probably a barrel selected for the store/distributor. Mine has a sticker for Twin Liquors on it.
Stan Crowch
AG
Gotcha...thx. Still tastes wonderful.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Picked up a bottle of Blantons a few days ago and it came in a box and had a sticker on the bottle that said "staff selection fall 2014". I have never seen it come like that before.

What store did you find this at? I don't know that I have even seen a Blantons private selection around here before.
Stan Crowch
AG
Specs downtown houston.
AggieChemist
AG
I sat in the restaurant, waiting for the celeb to arrive. I was going to interview the celeb, and she was hot.The whole damn restaurant nearly fell out of their chairs when she entered the room. She smiled at me, and sat down. Every man in the place was extremely horny and jealous of me.I ordered a bourbon and a steak, rare bloodied, really. She ordered a glass of wine and a steak, rare bloodied, really.She was hot as hell. It was hard to look at her face because she was so gorgeous. But I still looked at her, because I was a writer, and that was my job to look, to learn to love.I sipped my bourbon. She sipped her wine. I asked her if she liked bourbon. She said it was okay.I shifted in my chair, unsure of myself confused, as a child would be.The waiter brought over our steaks dripping with blood. If the steaks had ever had a relationship with fire, it had been a short one and they probably had really bad sex, which was almost certainly the fire's fault.We spoke of bullfighting, of bourbon, of steak. Once again, I asked her what she thought of bourbon. She didn't really seem up for talking, but whatever. I had my bourbon and I had my steak.She left a beautiful phantom, etching herself in the collective memory of the room. The bourbon was good, and I drank it.
redd38
AG
That was hard to read, maybe stick to Chemistry.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
I sat in the restaurant, waiting for the celeb to arrive. I was going to interview the celeb, and she was hot.The whole damn restaurant nearly fell out of their chairs when she entered the room. She smiled at me, and sat down. Every man in the place was extremely horny and jealous of me.I ordered a bourbon and a steak, rare bloodied, really. She ordered a glass of wine and a steak, rare bloodied, really.She was hot as hell. It was hard to look at her face because she was so gorgeous. But I still looked at her, because I was a writer, and that was my job to look, to learn to love.I sipped my bourbon. She sipped her wine. I asked her if she liked bourbon. She said it was okay.I shifted in my chair, unsure of myself confused, as a child would be.The waiter brought over our steaks dripping with blood. If the steaks had ever had a relationship with fire, it had been a short one and they probably had really bad sex, which was almost certainly the fire's fault.We spoke of bullfighting, of bourbon, of steak. Once again, I asked her what she thought of bourbon. She didn't really seem up for talking, but whatever. I had my bourbon and I had my steak.She left a beautiful phantom, etching herself in the collective memory of the room. The bourbon was good, and I drank it.

I might be missing the reference but that's some weird ****
FriedTex
AG
I mentioned I was at a bar in South Dakota that had BTAC and Pappy 20/23 there

Pappy 23 - 72 bucks a pour (2oz) that is some high priced ****. I passed
tx4guns
AG
Is that from 50 Shades of Chemist or something?
schmellba99
AG
quote:
AggieChemist
AG
The words hit me like a punch to the gut. It was if the words themselves were a fist, and my gut was my mind hearing the words, but instead of hearing them, they were feeling them, because the words were a fist, and my mind was a gut."It's not long enough."The editor my friend, my confidant, my drinking buddy (bourbon, natch) he spoke these words to me, coughing them out like smoke from a cigarette the type of smoke you exhale after a sip of fine bourbon.I sat there, still, silent like a still, silent glass of bourbon."What?" I finally managed to exclaim, in a smooth, bourbony voice. "The piece. It's good but what if it was 4000 words longer, and you talked about bullfighting for some reason?"Bullfighting. The bourbon of sports. Of course.
GregZeppelin
AG
So Chemist, assuming that you're about to get hauled off to the looney bin, can I have first dibs on your stash?
Mathguy64
AG
Some chemist has gone all Walter White. Except Walter never tried his own product.
FriedTex
AG
This reminds me of a crappy women's christian author - Ann Voskamp http://www.aholyexperience.com - truly dreadful

AggieChemist
AG
Madrid. 2005.I fought through the crowds and entered the gaping maw of the arena, readying myself for the bloody spectacle to which I was about to bear witness.The matador's entrance drew a deafening roar from the *******s in the stands.He danced with the bull I was watching a myth being written in front of my own eyes the eyes of a writer. The end came suddenly, and with a crimson flash.I felt a wetness on my face. Tears, dripping like the wax seal on a bottle of Maker's. In the midst of the fury, I had come to love that bull.It was as if I had imbibed a potent concentrated brew: 1 part awful brilliance, 1 part brutal truth, 1 part the dog episode of Futurama.
austinag1997
AG
I am done with seasonal bourbon. BTAC is now $200/bottle at every store this year. I have now been priced out of the market. I passed on a bottle of GTS for $200 yesterday evening. I tried two Japanese whiskeys last night (Hibichi 12 and Yamazaki 12). Both were underwhelming. I guess off to regular bottlings or Scotch until the bourbon craze goes away.
FlyFish95
quote:
I am done with seasonal bourbon. BTAC is now $200/bottle at every store this year. I have now been priced out of the market. I passed on a bottle of GTS for $200 yesterday evening. I tried two Japanese whiskeys last night (Hibichi 12 and Yamazaki 12). Both were underwhelming. I guess off to regular bottlings or Scotch until the bourbon craze goes away.
I hear ya bro.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
The high seas Would anything ever be the same?I had struggled with the marlin for hours, a maddening battle reminiscent of Vimy Ridge. We fought until the sun rang the horizon's doorbell.My wife Karen told me to hurry up. I told her that maybe I would have caught the fish faster if we had sex more often.God, I needed a bourbon.That trip had changed me, as it had changed my wife (8.5, 9 on a good day).
Mathguy64
AG
quote:

Yep. I've said it before: its time to use Moneyball principles and look for value where no one else perceives it. Fortunately there is a ton of product to search for that value.
austinag1997
AG
Agree. Specs has selected a barrel of Old Forester. Has anyone tried it?
Producers_96
AG
Bought a bottle of that last night, along with some cask-strength Makers. Haven't opened either yet.
HTownAg98
What are everyone's thoughts on Four Roses Single Barrel? I picked up two bottles of it yesterday for $33/each.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
What are everyone's thoughts on Four Roses Single Barrel? I picked up two bottles of it yesterday for $33/each.

Good stuff. A little bland for my palate, but still a good pour.
FlyFish95
I prefer the small batch over single barrel. It's more consistent.
steve00
AG
My girl just went to the liquor store to pick up some beers she ordered and left with these.

The PVW is a 2013 based on the bottle code. Not sure if the Stagg is new or old.
Atty_Ag
That just ain't right, steve.

Htown, Four Roses (both small batch and single barrel) is probably one of the few bourbons everyone on this thread would agree is a very worthwhile pour. I always keep both on hand.
Atty_Ag
For those of you fortunate enough to get some 2014 Stagg, how is it? Anyone want to trade me a bottle since I have struck out?
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
I prefer the small batch over single barrel. It's more consistent.

The small batch is good, but I prefer the slightly higher proof and spice from the single barrel.
FriedTex
AG
What are you wanting to trade?never traded before

K Bo
AG
Got tasked with bringing a bottle of bourbon (along with Zacapa) to a small group x-mas party for work. A couple of people in my group like bourbon and the rest are indifferent so I didn't feel like dropping $60 if it wasn't going to truly be enjoyed. Pieced together a "poor man's Pappy" with 60/40 OWA/W12 I had on hand.
steve00
AG
Based on the ABV, it looks like my Stagg is 2014. It's about 10 proof higher than the 2013, so it should be an interesting comparison.

I'll probably crack it open in a few weeks, but I'd certainly consider trading it for any of the other 2014 BTAC, as Stagg is one of my least favorites.
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
Agree. Specs has selected a barrel of Old Forester. Has anyone tried it?
San Antonio didn't receive any as it only went to the best Old Forester selling stores.

This is the feedback I received. "The barrel I selected was the creamiest of the three. I do remember notes of dried fruit and vanilla. I was trying to get it as close as I could to Birthday Bourbon." I have asked to confirm if that's the 2013 or 2014 OFBB. I may need to stop in on my way to East Texas next week.
FlyFish95
steve00,

Sent you a PM.
oneoutofmany
AG
Those are some great finds steve00. I was able to get a GTS this evening. Been chasing that 4Roses LE Small Batch but haven't seen it anywhere.
First Page Last Page
Page 94 of 1073

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.