Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,837,916 Views | 38410 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by Bulldog73
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
Thanks. Went every day this week, but I know I'll miss the 20 minute window when they put out their 2 bottles of non allocated stock.

Most any store that gets BTAC or Pappy will already have those bottles spoken for and they'll never bit the shelf. Those stores that don't keep lists, will not put them out on the shelf anyway.
proudaggie02
AG
^
"Most" is right. I got 6 bottles of PVW off the shelf at 1 store last year. I know of at least 4-5 more stores that put it on the shelf.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
It's funny... the store I frequent the most cause it's on my way home from work is owned and managed by some folks that are truly oblivious to the "bourbon craze." They get most all the limited releases the Houston area gets and have no clue how sought after some of it is. Pretty sure they think Im some kind of weirdo due to the money I spend on occasion. They're good people.
FlyFish95
Wish I had one of those stores on my list.
Post removed:
by user
FlyFish95
Well, there's a store across the street from my neighborhood that sells most of their allotment to one person every year and then sells the rest to their friends.
Daytona22
AG
For those in the Houston area, are y'all mostly finding these at neighborhood stores? I would assume all the types like Spec's have them already allocated out. Still looking for one more Four Roses LE and starting to look for the BTAC as well.
oneoutofmany
AG
Malibu, have you seen the Four Roses LE small batch in Houston or are you looking for the single barrel? I didn't think the small batch had hit Texas yet. I had a distributor's rep all but tell me today that we won't be seeing it up here in Fort Worth.
tx4guns
AG
LE SiB has come and gone. You won't find it. SmB has not been released in Texas yet.
Daytona22
AG
Looking for the small batch. I picked up two last weekend in San Fran for a buddy and myself but had a need for one more friend to grab one for him. They had 3 bottles and my in laws were busy pestering me to leave and stop talking to the owner so I ended up only grabbing two. Called back 10 min after I left the store and the last one was gone. Basically was there in that small moment that had just been placed on the shelves. Made friends with the GM though and he's got a pretty good line on some hard to get bottles.
austinag1997
AG
I am drinking a private selection I bought here in Nola that I like better than the 2014 LE!
Aggiejue
AG
I'm a huge Sazerac Rye 6-year old fan. Anyone noticed any around lately? It's definitely not the most sought after libation but I just can't find any around San Antonio.
FlyFish95
See it all over in Houston.
Aggiejue
AG
I guess I will have put a little more effort into the search. For some reason Specs held them off the shelves last year and it was rationed out one bottle at a time.
FlyFish95
I see it at Spec's down in Houston frequently.
GregZeppelin
AG
It was a little tough to fin at specs last year. I've seen a lot more of it this year, but specs does generally allocate it to their larger stores. They rarely have it at any of their Dallas stores other than the big one on 75. Just go to their main SA location and they should have it.
Aggiejue
AG
Thanks. What other Ryes would you tecommend other than Rittenhouse, Baby Saz or Bulliett? I attended the Ranger Creek White Dog release party a couple months ago and tried their Rye offering. It's pretty good juice but the price is a bit much at $35 for 350mL.
tx4guns
AG
High West Rendezvous
Angels Envy
Willett 4 year
Smooth Ambler
Wild Turkey 101 Rye
FlyFish95
Handy. Gotta find it first though
Mathguy64
AG
Michter's Rye is one to add to the list.
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
High West Rendezvous
Angels Envy
Willett 4 year
Smooth Ambler
Wild Turkey 101 Rye
It's been a while but I have tried to Willett. Where do you guys find the WT101 Rye because I have yet to see it locally? Time to visit a few well stocked bars!
Whoop04
Anyone had prichards rye before? It's on clearance at the navy exchange for $32 no tax. I have been looking for an everyday rye and am curious at that price. Normally they sell it for $45.
0708aggie
AG
Anyone tried the wild turkey diamond? Found a bottle tonight for 109.
austinag1997
AG
I can find two bottles of Handy in my bar right now!

WTDA is pretty good, but not worth $109. That is what I paid for it. Has a wonderful nose, but falls a little flat on the palate.
steve00
AG
If you want an everyday rye for cocktails, you can't beat Rittenhouse, which is usually under $20. I don't like it for sipping though.

Willet 4yr is a good sipper for $40. Sazerac 6 and Michters are cheaper, and not bad, but I don't love them. I prefer High West Double Rye to Rendezvous, but they are both good in the mid $40s.

If you can find Handy, Michters 10yr, Rittenhouse 21, 23, 25, Sazerac 18 then buy them. You will be left with roughly 1 arm and 1 leg after paying the bill though.
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
If you want an everyday rye for cocktails, you can't beat Rittenhouse, which is usually under $20. I don't like it for sipping though.

Willet 4yr is a good sipper for $40. Sazerac 6 and Michters are cheaper, and not bad, but I don't love them. I prefer High West Double Rye to Rendezvous, but they are both good in the mid $40s.

If you can find Handy, Michters 10yr, Rittenhouse 21, 23, 25, Sazerac 18 then buy them. You will be left with roughly 1 arm and 1 leg after paying the bill though.
I totally agree on Rittenhouse and it's my numero uno rye for cocktails! I keep a bottle in supplies on hand even though it's up to $25. I saw a few Michters bottles on the shelf so I will grab one this weekend. In regards to the others, I won't hold my breath but I would definitely like to try them one day.
FlyFish95
Sazerac seems to be the hardest of the BTAC collection to find.
Quantum ace
AG
Are they still using the stocks that they dumped into tanks a few years ago?
tx4guns
AG
I hear this is the last year of tanked Saz18, and it may go away next year.
austinag1997
AG
I am out of town this week... I assume BTAC is not out yet in Texas?
FlyFish95
No, usually mid-November.
AggieChemist
AG
I had a chance at the Saz, but not for $180.
Kid A
AG
Sazerac 18 has been stored in stainless steel tanks for years. Per Whiskey Advocate, the new juice arrives in 2016.

I was able to get some Maker's Mark Cask Strength at Specs in Dallas yesterday. Was also pleasantly surprised to find both the regular and commemorative Elmer T Lee in the glass case. If you hurry, there might be another bottle or two left.

Also bought a couple of bottles of High West Midwinter's Night Dram at another store (all gone now). Can't wait to try this one when the weather gets cold.

I'm guessing BTAC and Pappy will arrive in 2-3 weeks.
Whoop04
http://www.denveroffthewagon.com/#article/23594

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/stickaforkinit/2014/07/mgp_whiskey_distillery_daily_beast_eric_felten_rebuttal.php#Comments

Here are a couple of articles discussing the sourcing issue of bourbons and ryes that have been referenced on this board.
Aggiejue
AG
quote:
Sazerac 18 has been stored in stainless steel tanks for years. Per Whiskey Advocate, the new juice arrives in 2016.

I was able to get some Maker's Mark Cask Strength at Specs in Dallas yesterday. Was also pleasantly surprised to find both the regular and commemorative Elmer T Lee in the glass case. If you hurry, there might be another bottle or two left.

Also bought a couple of bottles of High West Midwinter's Night Dram at another store (all gone now). Can't wait to try this one when the weather gets cold.

I'm guessing BTAC and Pappy will arrive in 2-3 weeks.
What's the Specs price on the Makers Cask and ETL Commemerative? Also, I was told that the owner has tallied up the key card points and secured, allocated BTAC for the top point earners. Unfortunately, I'm not member of that club this year. Pappy will be allocated next. I will be picking up Makers Cask and ETL 93 soon!
First Page Last Page
Page 88 of 1098

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.