Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,834,791 Views | 38373 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by Aggie Therapist
steve00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who knows where he got it. Probably fell off the back of the truck.
Brenner
AG
Those are all incredible. I want the AE
Ducks4brkfast
AG
^ that's what you want from that haul?
FlyFish95
What did you pay for that Hirsch 16 year?
steve00
AG
More than I have paid for any other bottle of anything. And more than any reasonable person would ever consider paying.
AggieChemist
AG
steve kinda sucks really hard right now.
txaggie05
AG
Gillette Ridge had it for $1,199....so is that it?
steve00
AG
I had never ordered from Gillette before the Utopias this week, so I didn't trust them for this kind of purchase.

I went with 20-20 Wines, as I have gotten a number of high end bottles from them and have been happy with their service. It was around 1500. If I'm paying ridiculous money already, I'm not going to risk quality for a few hundred bucks.
txaggie05
AG
Definitely understand. You, sir, are a baller. Love what you've brought to this thread and the beer thread.
FlyFish95
The prices on that site are crazy. $155 for Stagg Jr? $750 for ORVW 10? Stagg Jr is all over the place in Houston for $48. I got a few bottles of ORVW last fall for and average price of $60 or so.
steve00
AG
I agree on that. I only shop there for impossible to get stuff. I order Stagg Jr from Specs for about $50.

I'm not sure why everyone out here charges so much for Stagg Jr. Even my local guy had it for $100. We have a deal where everything is negotiable, so he sold it to me for $50. Other times I overpay for stuff, because it means that I get first dibs when he gets something good. This week he got a Pappy set from somewhere, but he offered me a fair price vs the open market. And I got first option on it.
Señor Chang
AG
What state are you in, Steve?
steve00
AG
California.

But they allow liquor to be shipped here, so I buy a lot from stores in NY. My bank account was probably better off in Texas when I couldn't order stuff online.
tx4guns
AG
Brenner, you want a signed AECS?
joshwayne330
I call complete BS on Steve00 and his "special packaging" that arrived. Troller.
steve00
AG
Really? What exactly do you think I'm making up? You can see my counter in every picture I take.

I can take pictures of whatever you want to prove that my collection is real. However, anyone who thinks Old Weller Antique beats everything I have isn't worth the effort. If you think that there is no whiskey worth more than $50, then you have never had good whiskey, or you don't like whiskey.

Señor Chang
Quantum ace
AG
Josh, you know as well as I do that it is completely possible to go out and buy that lineup in a couple days. It does seem like a bit of a stretch, but its doable.

It is just going to take a little more time and effort to line up than explicitly stated. We could both be sitting around taking shots out of our own bottles of Hirsh 16, if we wanted to pay that price. We both know people who could make that haul look like a couple bottles of Early Times.
steve00
AG
To clarify, I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with whatever anyone's favorite whiskey is. I'm just saying that there are great whiskeys out there, that the majority of whiskey afficianados have agreed are great, and most people who try those whiskeys agree that they are great. Not everyone has the means to drink these whiskeys, but it doesn't make them any less great.
FriedTex
AG
My sense is Steve is eccentric, not a liar

Moving on, what did you sip on this weekend? I finished off a bottle of Noah's Mill. Was excellent
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Wouldn't surprise me if Steve told us he sipped a dram of Secretariat's semen over the weekend.
FlyFish95
If you have the cash and are willing to pay whatever is necessary, you could f
FlyFish95
If you have the cash and are willing to pay whatever is necessary, you could find anything you want to buy out there on the Internet today.
joshwayne330
quote:
Josh, you know as well as I do that it is completely possible to go out and buy that lineup in a couple days. It does seem like a bit of a stretch, but its doable.

It is just going to take a little more time and effort to line up than explicitly stated. We could both be sitting around taking shots out of our own bottles of Hirsh 16, if we wanted to pay that price. We both know people who could make that haul look like a couple bottles of Early Times.

Well of course anybody can go buy that lineup on the secondary market with the right amount of money. Not impressed. Most of those are out of production bottles that would not be found in a store/distributor. And to say your store got a shipment of Pappy in July is bogus.

steve00, you are right, I don't know anything about whiskey. Enjoy the humidor. And please keep playing down older OWA's. Don't want you buying up what little remains available.

[This message has been edited by Joshwayne330 (edited 7/27/2014 10:19a).]
joshwayne330
quote:
To clarify, I'm not trying to say there is anything wrong with whatever anyone's favorite whiskey is. I'm just saying that there are great whiskeys out there, that the majority of whiskey afficianados have agreed are great, and most people who try those whiskeys agree that they are great. Not everyone has the means to drink these whiskeys, but it doesn't make them any less great.

True whiskey afficinados would say AHH16 is a $90 bottle of whiskey and move whatever they had bunkered for $1,000 each and stock up on $50 bottles that are just as good, if not better.
tx4guns
AG
Roll call for those of us who have actually tasted Hirsch 16... Me. It is a $60 bottle at best. Unique, but not special. If you're spending $1000+ on it, you have more money than sense IMO.
FlyFish95
Limited supply + word of mouth/Internet hype = very expensive bourbon.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
I can take pictures of whatever you want to prove that my collection is real. However, anyone who thinks Old Weller Antique beats everything I have isn't worth the effort. If you think that there is no whiskey worth more than $50, then you have never had good whiskey, or you don't like whiskey.

A better way of putting it would be that seasoned bourbon enthusiasts don't need to pay more than $50 for a top quality bottle. They might have several bottles of Pappy 20, but they picked those up off the discount rack 7 years ago. They bought prime Willett selections by the case, for well under $50 a bottle. Ive had several OWA barrel picks that I would take over Pappy 23 in a heartbeat. That is $20 a bottle. 12 year old Stitzel Weller? $30 a bottle.

Those opportunities are gone, but a savvy and well connected buyer can still load up on premium bottles for under $50.

steve00
AG
This is an interesting discussion. I would agree that I am probably eccentric, as very few people place values on things in the particular way that I do. I would also agree that I have more money than sense, as no reasonable person would spend as much on alcohol as I do. However, since I am not a seasoned bourbon enthusiast, and I wasn't buying up stocks of Pappy and Hirsch 7 years ago, and I don't have the elusive connections that allows me to buy it for MSRP today, I can either pay free market value or not have it. I like to experience things for myself, so it is worth it to me to overpay for the opportunity. I'm not pretending that these bottles are really 'worth' what I paid, but the experience of tasting them is worth it to me.

I am not in a position where I have to choose between 1 expensive bottle vs 50 inexpensive ones. If I want either option, or both, I can do that.

I understand that it is hard to imagine getting all those bottles in a few days if you don't live in a state where you can shop online, and you aren't willing to overpay to get things that are hard to find. It is easy though. I could have a lot more than that if I wanted to pay for it, but even my eccentricities have a limit.

I am pretty happy with my liquor cabinet right now, so hopefully my purchase frequency will go back down to a 'normal' level. The only thing I'm still searching for is a Rittenhouse Rye 21 yr, so that I can taste all three side by side. If anyone sees one, you can bet I'll pay a premium finders fee.

As far as the Pappy that my liquor store got in, I probably shouldn't have used the word shipment. I don't know where they got it, but it was surely on the secondary market. I didn't mean to infer that it was shipped from the distillery.

To FriedTX's question - I tried the AECS and Willet 25yr Rye this wknd. The AECS was really good. The Willet may have soaked up too much wood, though it could mellow out after a few weeks of being open. The best thing I tasted this wknd was the Utopias from Sam Adams though.

Ducks4Brkfst - prior girlfriends have told me that human semen is an acquired taste, so I imagine that Secretariat semen is even more so. I'll stick to liquor, beer and wine.
joshwayne330
quote:
quote:

A better way of putting it would be that seasoned bourbon enthusiasts don't need to pay more than $50 for a top quality bottle. They might have several bottles of Pappy 20, but they picked those up off the discount rack 7 years ago. They bought prime Willett selections by the case, for well under $50 a bottle. Ive had several OWA barrel picks that I would take over Pappy 23 in a heartbeat. That is $20 a bottle. 12 year old Stitzel Weller? $30 a bottle.

Those opportunities are gone, but a savvy and well connected buyer can still load up on premium bottles for under $50.

Quantam must know me or is great at reading between the lines. He said it perfectly. All I try to do on this forum is provide factual information about bottling's, provide recommendations, and separate the BS from reality.

Time for a drink of some WLW '06...
joshwayne330
Steve00 - Rittenhouse 21 is the better of the bunch IMO. The 23 and 25 have too much oak for me.
steve00
AG
The Rittenhouse 21 was my first foray into aged rye. I got a bottle at Specs downtown about 5 years ago and loved it. If most people think that is the best one, I guess that is why I can't find it anymore. I do like the 25, and haven't tried the 23 yet. I can't compare them all accurately until I get them all together. My 5 year old memory isn't a fair comparison.
joshwayne330
Since it has become obvious you don't mind forking out the $$$, seek out Vintage 21 Rye or Hirsch 21/22 Rye. Your store should be a able to get them as it's clear they are procuring off the secondary.
Atty_Ag
I think everyone on this thread falls somewhere into the eccentric range. I know I've learned a lot over the past few years. Everyone on here brings something to the table, so let's skip the fighting, because for God's sake we're all bourbon drinkers. That's GOT to count for something.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Everyone on here brings something to the table, so let's skip the fighting, because for God's sake we're all bourbon drinkers. That's GOT to count for something.
means we are better than the beer guys, but not as uppity as the scotch guys.
First Page Last Page
Page 77 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.