Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,752,999 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by betadawg1
jobu93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone know if Elmer T Lee will be made again? I drained my last bottle and can't find any anywhere.
joshwayne330
^^^^ they never stopped making it. Just running low on stock, so the allocations have been very small.
joshwayne330
^^^^ they never stopped making it. Just running low on stock, so the allocations have been very small.
jobu93
AG
well I suppose there's some good news in your bad news...
FriedTex
AG
Making a run through KY Friday through Louisville - if you had to pick between Heaven Hill and Makers tour - which would you take? Im leaning heavily towards Makers
joshwayne330
Makers for sure and not basing that on the bourbon...
FlyFish95
Old Scout Smooth Ambler. Fantastic stuff.
austinag1997
AG
The Makers tour is really good. Woodford is an excellent tour also if you have time.

The rest of them don't compare.

This is tour quality... not bourbon quality.
JobSecurity
AG
Got some Willet rye... Pretty good but not sure I'll get it again
agmatt06
AG
For rye whiskey. I'm a big fan of Michter Rye.
OleArmyBQ68
AG
SIAP

I drink Makers Mark primarily, but have found that Old Forester 86, for the buck, is very good.
schmellba99
AG
The best rye I've had is the Angel's Envy Rye. High West is also pretty darned good, as are a couple of others that I've tried out, but for me nothing comes close to either of those two that I can think of right now.

I've heard really good things about the Van Winkle rye, but I haven't opened my bottle yet to see if the rumors are true yet or not.
steve00
AG
I found the Angels Envy Rye interesting, but too sweet for my taste.

High West has some good ryes, and I like WhistlePig and Willet 4yr.

Handy, Sazerac18yr and Rittenhouse 21, 23 and 25 are excellent, though hard to get.

Pappy Rye is good, but not as good as the above ryes. I don't think it is a top tier rye in the same vein of Pappy bourbon being a top tier bourbon.

[This message has been edited by Steve00 (edited 6/24/2014 12:28p).]
schmellba99
AG
Handy makes a great rye. I was underwhelmed with Sazerac.

The finish on the AE Rye is what got me. It's almost a cream finish, and pairs heavenly with a perfectly prepared steak to me.

For sipping, it probably is a bit on the sweet side, especially if you typically go for the more robust distills. But as a compliment to a dinner, not sure you can find too much better for me.
austinag1997
AG
Angels Envy Rye is finished in rum casks... hence the sweetness. There is nothing better than Handy in my opinion, although I have a bottle of Saz 18 that I haven't opened yet.
tx4guns
AG
Sell that Saz 18. Wish I had sold mine. Very disappointed in it.
steve00
AG
Considering that the Sazerac18 cost me twice as much as the Handy, I was disappointed with it at first as well. After a few more tastings I was able to get past the value problem and found it to be very good. I still prefer Handy, but the saz is not too far behind.
FlyFish95
Handy >>>>>> Saz 18
steve00
AG
AustinAg - how much to take that Saz off your hands?
Quantum ace
AG
The AE Rye is one of my favorites, but I have really been enjoying the Willet 4 yr lately. It hits the age and proof sweet spot for me.

The Saz 18 is very good, but its just a bit over aged for my tastes. Ill take the Handy over it most of the time.
NoneGiven
AG
What about Lock Stock and Barrel? Can't imagine it is as good as the price they are asking for it.
steve00
AG
I had a few at a bar last month and didn't think it was anything special. Certainly not worth what they were charging for it.
jsn1986
AG
Specs by me got some Single Oak Project, 12th release i believe (bbl 141) and 12 year aged on different floors experiemental collection in today. I have one bottle of the Single Oak and based on the $46 for 375ml price tag i'm most likely going to pass... Anyone have experience with these releases?
Señor Chang
AG
NoneGiven - I picked up a bottle of the Lock Stock from Twin Liquors last week during their whiskey sale. I haven't opened it yet, but the salesman talked it up enough that I bought it. I'll report back when I open it up.
austinag1997
AG
Steve,

I think I would prefer to drink it myself. I may be disappointed, but at least I will know. If I sell it, I will never know.

I was very disappointed with the ER17, so my bourbon purchases will be much more targeted this fall.

Anyone see the Four Roses LE in Texas yet?
austinag1997
AG
JSN,

I haven't tried them... I just don't have the patience to be a guinea pig for their research. I did see an article some time back that directed buyers to the better bottles.
jsn1986
AG
Not seen the four roses LE yet, but did hear of it outside the state... Local specs guy has been keeping me informed of the new arrivals and said he is keeping an eye out. Ill post if/when I hear.
FlyFish95
Disappointed in the ER 17? Holy cow! That's seriously one of my all-time favorite pours. Opinions vary I guess...
htxag09
AG
^ Agree with this. My favorite whiskey so far....
steve00
AG
For BTAC, my ranking is -
Handy
Stagg
Weller
Sazerac
Eagle

To each his own, though.
Mathguy64
AG
I managed an ER17, GTS and THH this year. I don't think one is "better" than the other. One is a great 90 proof sipper, one is a massive brute that should be twice as hot as it actually is and is the pinnacle of high proof high age bourbon and the other is one of the best rye whiskies you will taste. They really aren't comparable. And they are only $70 each. They are bargains in the world of top end bourbons.
FlyFish95
Handy is phenomenal.
steve00
AG
You are right, they are all very good in their own way. I got a bottle of all five this year, but they were nowhere near the list price of $70. Still worth it though.

Stagg Jr is a very good value at $50 and easy to get at Specs.
tx4guns
AG
WLW is the best. There's a reason it costs twice as much as the others on the secondary market.
FlyFish95
Finding Pappy, BTAC, or ORVW 10 and Lot B is a crapshoot price wise.

This past fall I found them at prices all over the map. I got 2 bottles of GTS for $75. I found 2 bottles of ORVW 10 for $79 and $110. I got one Lot B for $70. I also saw BTAC for $150. Believe it or not, one guy I know found a store selling ORVW 10 for $49.

If you can find any of this at Specs, you'll get it for legit retail prices. Aside from that, it get dicey.
First Page Last Page
Page 70 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.