Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,852,807 Views | 38543 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by TexAgs1992
proudaggie02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Anyone have a recommendation on a store with good selection in the Denver area? Making a trip up there in July. I've heard good things about Davidson's and Atlas Valley. Thoughts?

-South Denver metro (Lone Tree/Highlands Ranch/Centennial): Davidsons (Chris or Dave) & Lukas (Roland) & maybe Heritage
-Denver (downtown/near): Argonaut
-North: DaveCo
-Southwest: Tipsys
jsn1986
AG
^^^thanks
FriedTex
AG
quote:
We need a spreadsheet compiled to know when releases are scheduled and when they are first actually spotted

Quoting myself to put this idea on a new page
wadd96
AG
quote:
quote:

We need a spreadsheet compiled to know when releases are scheduled and when they are first actually spotted

Quoting myself to put this idea on a new page

Well, since you have suggested it twice... jump on it, Froggy.

"It's not revenge... It's the reckoning... - Marcus Luttrell, USN Retired.
FriedTex
AG
If I knew were to look I totally would!

Opened up a bottle of Noah's Mill today - excellent!
FriedTex
AG
Best I could find

http://redwhiteandbourbon.com/2014-bourbon-release-calander/
jsn1986
AG
^^ I enjoy reading RedWhiteAndBourbon, and Josh over there has helped me out with some questions in the past... Nice guy.
Picked up some AE Rye yesterday. For me it was very sweet and had a real strong rum finish. Glad I picked it up, but prob won't be the first bottle I reach for. The guy at the store(a specs) said he would call me when the pappy comes in, they got 6 cases last year so maybe ill get lucky.
dmart90
AG
Is there a date that the Four Roses Single Barrel Limited Edition will hit the liquor stores? Or have I missed it?
tx4guns
AG
Any day now. It has not hit Texas yet per my sources.
dmart90
AG
Thanks, tx4guns. Hoping to score a bottle. Anyone have suggestions for stores to try in far north Austin?
Post removed:
by user
joshwayne330
They are probably telling the truth. They are clueless.
Post removed:
by user
Austinag85
AG
What's the story on the "Duke Bourbon" release? I have emailed some of their people who say it will be out this month and at Twin Liquors. Then I contact Twins and they say they have never heard of it! What gives?
FlyFish95
quote:
Are they BSing me or are they really this unorganized?

It's both.
Post removed:
by user
Quantum ace
AG
Start by developing a good relationship with a store that does get some of the allocated bottles. Sometime you can get them to hold things, regardless of how much they actually know. Keep an eye on the various blogs and websites for release info, then give your store a heads up that it might be coming soon.

It is getting harder and harder to get your hands on limited allocation bottles. I have had to lower my expectations a lot over the last couple years. I can usually get my hands on something if I make it a priority, but I'm not going to lose sleep if I miss out on it.

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 6/10/2014 12:39p).]
Atty_Ag
I picked up two bottles of Elijah Craig 12 yo Barrel Proof today. Wow! At $36, this is an absolute steal. It's 134.8 proof. Delicious with heavy caramel. If you find some, do yourself a favor and buy all you can.

FYI - Twin Liquors is running their whiskey sale with 15% off any two bottles or more.
austinag1997
AG
The Old Forester 100 Proof Signature Series is really good for $27/bottle!
FriedTex
AG
Found some barrel strength 4 Roses today - 120 proof, should be fun
joshwayne330
^^^^ In Texas??
the dude10
AG
I was just at specs and asked about any four roses products, but they have none of the specialty items in the system. I did pick up my first bottle of michters and eagle rare, both are excellent! Absolutely going to keep both of them stocked from now on. Also grabbed a "jug" of platte valley. I am sure it will be terrible but hey, the bottle is really cool. Goes to show you what packaging can do
FriedTex
AG
quote:
^^^^ In Texas??

Nah, indianapolis

47 bucks! Pretty great
Josepi
AG
Did a blind tasting of 4 bourbons at home last weekend. Unmarked glasses so we didn't know what was what. All bourbon was neat. Here's how it turned out:

1 - Buffalo Trace
2 - W.L. Weller
3 - 4 Roses small batch
4 - Jim Beam

All 4 of us had Buffalo at #1. 1 person had roses at #2, but the other 3 had Weller there. All 4 of us had Beam last. Beam was truly awful compared to the others.
FriedTex
AG
Had my first taste of Pappys tonight and I feel like I crossed some sort of line of maturity. It was the 15yr and it was dilishish
joshwayne330
quote:
I have an inbound sample of the FR LE SiB '14 headed my way. I will report back once it's in the glass. It's supposed to have nice mocha notes with some nice cedar on the back end. Sounds good!

I would highly recommend grabbing a bottle of this when it hits shelves later this month. The sample from my bottle was 110 proof. Very rich pour. Jim did a great job picking a once again.

Of note: tasted from a blue solo cup. Glencairn's are overrated
edwardsk2003
AG
Had a glass of Buffalo Trace "experimental" last night. Extremely good
FlyFish95
Josepi,

Jim Beam is only good for buying in handles, taking to tailgates, and mixing with something else.
Josepi
AG
I drank a lot of Beam and Coke at football games during my college years, and even the smell of it today brings back fond memories of college football and tailgates. That being said, I expected it to be better. Maybe I just expected that because it is such a big name in the industry. I didn't expect it to be the best, but I was surprised at how awful it was compared to the others.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Happy National Bourbon Day!
FriedTex
AG
That's a good question:

What would you say is the best bang for your buck for mixing? Specifically with Coke
Ol Jock 99
AG
Ginger ale.

Edit.... Misread the question. But Ginger is a better mixer than Coke.

[This message has been edited by Ol jock 99 (edited 6/14/2014 5:49p).]
GregZeppelin
AG
quote:
What would you say is the best bang for your buck for mixing? Specifically with Coke

Evan Williams Black Label (or the 100 proof version known as White Label, but not all stores carry it)

Much better to sip neat than Beam as well for about half the price. It's not going to compare to something like Buffalo Trace or Four Roses SB, but it is worlds ahead of Beam in the bargain bourbon universe.
joshwayne330
quote:
That's a good question:

Easy - Weller 12 ($22) or Evan Williams 1783 ($13)
schmellba99
AG
Sippimg on some Elijah Craig BP tonight (this year's release).

Mighty fine stuff it is. Mighty fine.
First Page Last Page
Page 69 of 1102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.