Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,837,775 Views | 38406 Replies | Last: 8 min ago by AlaskanAg99
joshwayne330
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going to set it straight....

Scrub all the BS self offerings. Go seek out FR Private Selection Barrel Proofs. For $55 their is not a better bottle available. The program will be ending soon (speculation on my part). Or just go buy your own barrel, right Quantum?

Life is too short to drink cheap bourbon (or overpriced).
Post removed:
by user
jah003
S
Just called today... It's the rye. They've got the 21 and 25. The 21 was what I saw on the shelf, 25 is in the back. And... I'll go back to lurking.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
How old? There are SAOS 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 year bottles. 100 proof and BP bottles.

tx4guns
AG
You need to try the 8 year barrel proof and 10 year 100 proof. Amazing bourbon.
austinag1997
AG
quote:
Scrub all the BS self offerings. Go seek out FR Private Selection Barrel Proofs. For $55 their is not a better bottle available.

The key is to find the mashbill that suits your palate. There are a bunch of them.
FriedTex
AG
So it's out now? I thought it wasn't for a couple more weeks?
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Scrub all the BS self offerings. Go seek out FR Private Selection Barrel Proofs. For $55 their is not a better bottle available. The program will be ending soon (speculation on my part). Or just go buy your own barrel, right Quantum?

It was the simplest way I could find to taste all ten recipes at once.

Their private barrel selection program is running at a record pace right now. As other distilleries are shutting off their programs, FR is picking up the slack. I think they had sold more barrels by April than they did the entire previous year. Jim Rutledge said it is not sustainable in the long term, but seemed completely unconcerned about running out anytime soon. I imagine they will start restricting the program, but I think we have a couple years before we start seeing it.

We just need to get more retailers in Texas to start taking advantage of it in the meantime.

[This message has been edited by Quantum ace (edited 5/31/2014 6:48p).]
tx4guns
AG
Hate to burst your bubble, but my retailer was told that private Four Roses selection barrels are done. They may get the barrel proof stuff due to pressure from the store owner, but after that - DONE. Sad.
joshwayne330
Not done quite yet. My group is meeting with Jim at the distillery at the end of June for 2 barrel picks. I forsee the available ages of the barrels for the picks getting younger for awhile.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
Hate to burst your bubble, but my retailer was told that private Four Roses selection barrels are done. They may get the barrel proof stuff due to pressure from the store owner, but after that - DONE. Sad.

Who is your retailer? My information might be a month old, but it was from Jim and the head of their private barrel selection program.
tx4guns
AG
NASA Liquor
joshwayne330
I have an inbound sample of the FR LE SiB '14 headed my way. I will report back once it's in the glass. It's supposed to have nice mocha notes with some nice cedar on the back end. Sounds good!
aggiemike89
AG
Thanks JAH003, if you do find some dusty 18 on the shelf, I would be interested.
Quantum ace
AG
quote:
NASA Liquor

I picked up a bottle of their store selection of the 100 proof single barrel yesterday. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the standard single barrel, and a non-chill filtered sample of the standard single barrel that I managed to get my hands on.

Seems like a guy nice, and pretty knowledgeable, but I would not depend on him for the most accurate Four Roses information.
wadd96
AG
Heading to Kentucky next month... going to take in the tours at Beam, Willett, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses and Maker's...

:-)

"It's not revenge... It's the reckoning... - Marcus Luttrell, USN Retired.
AggieChemist
AG
Wadd, don't miss the Woodford tour.
austinag1997
AG
Yeah, the Woodford and Makers tours are fabulous.
joshwayne330
That's a lot of tours........
the dude10
AG
Drinking some Rowan's creek for the first time tonight, very impressed. Also drinking Evan Williams single barrel, and it seems to be an excellent value. Angels envy is ok, but for the price I will never buy another bottle.

So far I think I would rank my best values according to my palate:
1) Four roses small batch
2) Elijah Craig 12
3) Larceny
austinag1997
AG
I did 11 tours in 3 days and made it to the Kentucky Cooperage tour. That is an interesting tour also.
wadd96
AG
For the record... those are over 3 days. Don't want to blow out the palette. Going to add Woodford. .
FlyFish95
Dude 10,

Throw in Eage Rare 10 and you've got a good list there.
GregZeppelin
AG
Wadd: That's a solid tour lineup, if you can, schedule your Buffalo Trace tour so that you're in Frankfort around lunch time and hit up a place called Staxx BBQ.

Solid Kentucky style bbq, which is pork-centric and a nice flavorful sauce that's not overly vinigary like Carolina Style. I highly recommend the pulled pork platter, sauces are on the table so you can use whichever ones you want.

Lots of people in Frankfort will recommend Rick's White Light Diner because it was on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, but it is waaaaaay overpriced, and very mediocre, so don't be fooled.

Enjoy your time in my homeland!
wadd96
AG
Greg, that's about the plan... we are staying in Bardstown the night before, getting up and heading to L'ville to tour the Bat Manufacturing, then off to Frankfort and ending up in Lexington...
ElGatoBill
AG
wadd96
AG
Take it to the Irish Whisky thread ;-)

I kid, I kid...

"It's not revenge... It's the reckoning... - Marcus Luttrell, USN Retired.
K Bo
AG
Stressed watching this game. Sipping on my 2011 OF Birthday Bourbon I found in Pensicola last spring. I love the cinnamon apple nose of this stuff.
the dude10
AG
quote:
Dude 10,

Throw in Eage Rare 10 and you've got a good list there.

That is next on my list of bottles to buy.

Last night I started sippin around 3:00 and went all the way through the end of the game. Work this morning kinda sucked!
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Quantum ace
AG
I wouldn't touch the Lock Stock & Barrel, way overpriced.

I love the AE Rye. It is sweet with heavy vanilla flavors, so its not for everyone, but its one of my favorites.

The Old Forrester Birthday Bourbon is very good, but it is a once a year release that usually sells out immediately. Goody Goody has an Old Forester Single Barrel that is decent, and I like the Old Forester Signature. Neither are as good as the Birthday, but I still enjoy them.
FlyFish95
quote:
I'd really like to find a bottle of the birthday Bourbon, but never seen it anywhere in Dallas.

OFBB has one of the best noses you'll find anywhere, at least the 2013 release did. I believe the yearly release happens in September.
jsn1986
AG
Anyone have a recommendation on a store with good selection in the Denver area? Making a trip up there in July. I've heard good things about Davidson's and Atlas Valley. Thoughts?
FriedTex
AG
We need a spreadsheet compiled to know when releases are scheduled and when they are first actually spotted
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 1098

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.