Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,847,571 Views | 38480 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by rca21978
aggiemike89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up 2 bottles of Booker's 25th at Specs last week. It was their last two so they gave me "case price".Paid $85 each. Haven't had a chance to open one yet. Anybody had a pour of this juice? How is it?
tx4guns
AG
It's hot. Tasted like Bookers. I'm keeping one in the bunker.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
The Bourbon Truth blog is one I read regularly, as I'm sure a lot of you do too. Just thought I'd share, however, a couple posts regarding bourbon collecting and the "recent" craze and run-up in prices, etc.

quote:
The Truth About Collecting and Investing in Bourbon, Part I

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/85549606796/the-truth-about-collecting-and-investing-in-bourbon

The Truth About Collecting and Investing in Bourbon, Part II

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/85753745896/the-truth-about-collecting-and-investing-in-bourbon

[This message has been edited by Ducks4Brkfast (edited 5/15/2014 2:35p).]
joshwayne330
My 2 cents - this bourbon truth guy is the last person I would ever read/believe anything he wrote. Yes, I am blunt but it's for your own good. He is extremely inaccurate 99% of the time.
Quantum ace
AG
I'll check it out from time to time, but I would not put a lot of stock into the Bourbon Truth.

quote:
Anyone that wants to put the time and effort into getting hard to get/find Whiskey can get it 99 percent of the time.

Comments like this tend to rub me the wrong way. There are a handful of limited release bottles I was unable to find at retail, regardless of the amount of effort I put into it. Unless "effort" means quitting my job so I can spend more time checking in at various stores. I have a handful of stores willing to put a bottle behind the counter for me, but that doesn't help me if I am 4th on the list and they only get 3 bottles. I can track down what I want most of the time, but 99% is a little outdated.
BourbonAg
AG
Plus some of us live out in the middle of nowhere. Some of these releases literally don't get distributed to anywhere within 100 or more miles of here.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Happy World Whisky Day
Post removed:
by user
schmellba99
AG
Well, got my EC BP in yesterday. I might just have to crack it open tonight to give it a go and see what the fuss is all about.

joshwayne330
quote:
joshwayne:

quote:
My 2 cents - this bourbon truth guy is the last person I would ever read/believe anything he wrote. Yes, I am blunt but it's for your own good. He is extremely inaccurate 99% of the time.

Care to back this up with anything substantial?

No. Don't want to waste my time reading his blog again. Believe what you want to read or do some better research with reputable sources to find out "the truth".
FriedTex
AG
Bought some Stagg Jr the other day- gonna open it this weekend. What should I expect?
joshwayne330
^^^It's HOT neat. An ice ball helps this one.
austinag1997
AG
Expect chocolate notes. I also recommend a few chips of ice. I need to pick up another bottle... it's my daily drinker.
Mathguy64
AG
I second the chocolate notes. If you have had GTS you can tell its a sibling. Let it breathe and toss in a little ice.
AggieChemist
AG
Has anybody had the 2013 Parker heritage collection promise of hope? I found two bottles but at $100 per bottle I'm a little leery. Opinions?

[This message has been edited by Aggiechemist (edited 5/22/2014 2:42p).]
Quantum ace
AG
The 2013 PHC is good, but I would not buy it again at $100. I don't have anything bad to say about it, but it doesn't have that "wow" factor I look for in anything above $50.
Brenner
AG
Anybody heard of Workhorse Rye? Really interested in how this turns out. They don't age it for too long, and the stuff isn't out on the market yet. I missed out on their kickstarter, but they made $38k. Looks like these guys have a pretty good grasp on what they're doing, could be worth a try if it's not too pricy. http://www.workhorserye.com/
AggieChemist
AG
I ended up buying a smooth ambler 10-year-old and a glenmorangie single malt gift set and still spent less than I would have on the Parker heritage.
joshwayne330
PHC7 is a solid all around pour and nice to see how a true master distiller likes his bourbon to taste. It actually opens up after a few pours out of the bottle. Yes, it's for a good cause but over priced at $100. I would snatch it up at $65 all day long. I ended up with 4 bottles through trades where I gave up far less to obtain them.
FarmersFightAg
AG
i bought the PH 7 for $65ish. Worth every dollar, for that amount....
Quantum ace
AG
After working my way through a hefty pour of PHC7, it might have a little more character than I gave it credit for earlier. I would probably rather have a Smooth Ambler 10 yr, but I don't regret buying this bottle.
joshwayne330
But keep in mind, PHC7's are single barrels so all of our bottles could vary slightly.
FriedTex
AG
Thought I could handle the Stagg Jr, as I prefer higher proof bourbons, but man that **** is strong neat. Definitely had to add a cube of ice to mellow it out, and that didn't even do much - wow!
the dude10
AG
At specs yesterday and saw a bottle of Whitmeyer's Texas single barrel cask strength. I am very interested (and a little skeptical) but at ~$60 I was wanting to see if anyone has tried it yet.
dmart90
AG
Picked up a bottle of Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel yesterday. Hadn't seen it on the shelf at the local Twin Liquors before. Barreled in '02. Paid $31. Just cracked it open. The more it breaths, the better it's nose. Caramel and vanilla. It's very smoothgoing down, butterscotch and vanilla seem to be the prevalent flavors, followed by some spice. I'm quite impressed with this bourbon. May have to pick up another bottle next week.

Edit: Thanks for catching my mistake, joshwayne330. Its still really good.

[This message has been edited by dmart90 (edited 5/26/2014 9:36a).]
joshwayne330
^^^Surprised that a bottle of Henry McKenna would be sitting on the shelf at a Twin Liquors chain for 12 years. Sure it wasn't barreled in 2002? Hope I am wrong, nice score if so!
Post removed:
by user
tx4guns
AG
Gonna be mid June.
FriedTex
AG
quote:
4 roses le sb supposed to hit shelves soon. Hoping I can snag some.

What should the price be for this?

How does this compare to the 125 anniversary SBLE?
FlyFish95
Shouldn't be any more than the LESB which I found for $75 at multiple locations.
joshwayne330
It's younger this year and a different recipe, so they probably won't be that comparable.
FriedTex
AG
What websites do you frequent to get this info?
tx4guns
AG
We know stuff. Websites not required.
joshwayne330
We discuss these issues at our bimonthly underground bourbon mafia meetings.
FriedTex
AG
Just want to be ready so I don't miss out on the good stuff
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 1100

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.