Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,753,005 Views | 37590 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by betadawg1
AGBrewer512
How long do you want to ignore this user?
CTGilley said:

I have a sample for you if you want it. Patrick just left with one.

Best GB in my opinion but not worth the price tag.

100% agree on the price tag.
AGBrewer512
Elijah Craig 18 year, what are your personal thoughts on the taste?

I realize that the price might affect some folks on what they think of the flavor. So if possible, Try to be objective and keep the price tag out of your mind, I'm really interested in what the actual taste is like.

Also, if possible, let me know if there is a comparable bourbon on the market that is close in flavor profile. Doesn't have to be exact, just close to the EC18.
the dude10
AG
Not everyone will agree, but I personally enjoy it. The extra oak flavor from over aging adds some flavor and boldness that is otherwise lacking due to the proof. Drinks really smooth because of proof again. With oak being the predominant flavor, I would say it's similar to woodford double oaked.
Ornithopter
AG
There is a really dominant oak flavor. While EC18 wasn't bad, I didn't really care for it. ECBP on the other hand, is great.

I really like Woodford Double Oaked, I don't find it to be the same.
proc
AG
I appreciate the reviews. While a WR double oaked is about 50, and a ECBP is about 80, I am a lot less likely to buy that EC18 for the 200 I've been seeing it at.
the dude10
AG
I agree that WF double oaked is not necessarily the same flavor profile as EC18, I was coming up pretty blank on anything else widely available to compare it to. Just not many bourbons sitting in the shelf with that kinda aging
MarathonAg12
ECBP has the best price point for what it is. The C920 is my favorite.

$60-100 (retail to Secondary) for 12 Year unfiltered barrel proof Kentucky Bourbon. I hope it stays that way for a long time.
FriedTex
AG
Recommendation:

Saying in the Galleria - Houston area for a couple days and was wondering what the best bourbon bar is that doesn't make a mockery of their price list
Wheatables02
AG
AGBrewer512 said:

Elijah Craig 18 year, what are your personal thoughts on the taste?

I realize that the price might affect some folks on what they think of the flavor. So if possible, Try to be objective and keep the price tag out of your mind, I'm really interested in what the actual taste is like.

Also, if possible, let me know if there is a comparable bourbon on the market that is close in flavor profile. Doesn't have to be exact, just close to the EC18.

I think EC18 is a perfect bourbon. Great balance and so many flavors. I love EC barrel proof but if I wanted it with less bite, it would be EC18.
Sazerac
AG
Federal Grill for a restaurant bar. Anvil for a bar.
jh0400
AG
Reserve 101
Wooster's Garden
Poison Girl
Anvil
Julep
Bar at the Royal Sonesta (don't know if it has a name or not)

Edited to add:

Eight Row Flint
Miss Carousel

FriedTex
AG
I was looking at 8th Row Flint - what did you like about it?
jh0400
AG
Great selection of spirits at reasonable prices.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/585aa18c725e25091af5efc3/t/5f909f34b46f3b4f34e0670b/1603313462306/spirits+list+10.20.pdf
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Space Cowboy is good. Think I've still got a bottle of that tucked away.
SpiderDude
AG
Nice mezcal selection as well!
TikkaShooter
I think the bourbon market has finally worn me down. And after only a year of searching, finding, drinking, collecting, trading, etc. The results no longer warrant the chase. There is a lot of good stuff on the shelf that I'm happy to buy, saving special stuff for when I'm out and about and see it on a bar shelf.

Here's to one less guy looking for the more gooder stuff.
jh0400
AG
I usually start off with a mezcal with a sangrita every time I'm there.
lazuras_dc
AG
TikkaShooter said:

I think the bourbon market has finally worn me down. And after only a year of searching, finding, drinking, collecting, trading, etc. The results no longer warrant the chase. There is a lot of good stuff on the shelf that I'm happy to buy, saving special stuff for when I'm out and about and see it on a bar shelf.

Here's to one less guy looking for the more gooder stuff.

I've said the same thing but then someone goes and posts something on here or a friend will send a pic of their score and then I'm right back into being fired up for the hunt again.
CactusThomas
AG
I like the stuff on the shelves too much to get worked up over the allocated bottles for the most part.
Bunk Moreland
CactusThomas said:

I like the stuff on the shelves too much to get worked up over the allocated bottles for the most part.

Same. Never 'hunted' a day in my life and I've still come across enough allocated bottles here and there to be happy.
aggie7020
AG
Do you have to be invited to join I can not find the group in search.
AGBrewer512
Needing some help in putting a value on these bottles. Interested in feedback from folks that actually like Garrison Brothers bourbon, so if you don't like GB, no worries, just move on brother.

Bottle on the right is a 100 proof 1 yr old pre-release pint size signed by the Dan (distillery release only). Bottle on the left is the first year that they released their SmB 94 proof in stores and is signed by Dan (apparently they've now changed the label).

Ducks4brkfast
AG
I don't think there is any value above whatever retail was for those. And even at whatever retail was at the time, I think you might struggle to even get that.
AGBrewer512
Ducks4brkfast said:

I don't think there is any value above whatever retail was for those. And even at whatever retail was at the time, I think you might struggle to even get that.
You are probably right, but I'm hoping that for a GB head, it might be something they are interested in.
trouble
AG
I'd be interested if I didn't already have those.
TikkaShooter
I think thats the problem. Its getting to the point that the everyday stuff that I like is starting to be allocated.

Example - one of my local stores always has Knob 9 on the shelf. Sometimes Knob 12. I've never seen Knob 15 in the wild.

First they stopped putting out 12. Said its allocated.

Then I couldn't find 9. Maybe someone made a run? Nope, just "we are keeping this behind the register for now".

WTF
PearlandAg09
AG
Probably better suited for the trade thread, but I have a Knob 15 that's been on my shelf for 9 months I would let go if you're interested in a trade.
MarathonAg12
TikkaShooter said:

I think thats the problem. Its getting to the point that the everyday stuff that I like is starting to be allocated.

Example - one of my local stores always has Knob 9 on the shelf. Sometimes Knob 12. I've never seen Knob 15 in the wild.

First they stopped putting out 12. Said its allocated.

Then I couldn't find 9. Maybe someone made a run? Nope, just "we are keeping this behind the register for now".

WTF
Yeah, people are hoarding every day bottles.

I mean just look at Laguna Madre, everyone tried to catch the wave to flip it for GTS. That worked for a couple people then fell flat.
proc
AG
If you are in the DFW area, I can find KC 12 and WR Double Oaked on the shelf at my local place.
MW03
AG
I would love to find a place in DFW that has KC12 on the shelf.
LPHA
AG
I'm not really sure. It wasn't like that when I joined but I wouldn't be surprised, given the facebook crackdown and inability of the majority of members to read rules and not post stupid *****
proc
AG
MW03 said:

I would love to find a place in DFW that has KC12 on the shelf.
I will make a run out there Friday and let you know.
lazuras_dc
AG
I'm looking for kc12 and will be in Dallas in July. Could do a trade or pay a little extra for the handling /storage. Can email me. lazurasdc at yahoo

Thx!
ClickClack
AG
Saw this today on reddit/r/whiskeytribe

Pretty amazing, a bottle of Stagg from the prohibition era

https://www.reddit.com/r/WhiskeyTribe/comments/nqwy4x/latest_find/
FTAco07
AG
That's amazing, thanks for posting. I can't even imagine finding that or trying to value it. What an amazing bottle to have in a collection.

I'm all for drinking pretty much any bourbon rather than saving/hording, but that is 100% a showpiece collectible artifact of American history.
First Page Last Page
Page 631 of 1075

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.