Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,831,816 Views | 38338 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Tksymm7
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Johnsy3 said:

mazag08 said:

I've never tried Barrell but heard great things, especially the Armida

IIRC, they don't distill anything on their own, they source and blend and finish in different casks?

Correct. But they are fantastic.
cc10106
I didn't see any Still Austin Cask Strength bourbon today at several Spec's in Houston, but I managed to find a Knob Creek 9 yr single barrel reserve 120 proof on the shelf instead. Solid consolation, if you would even call it that.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

CactusThomas said:

Tell me how you like the seagrass

It's really good. But the Armida is better. Bother are 100% unique and worth every penny

Coincidentally those are the 2 I have! I bought the Armida because I also love Amaro... and the Seagrass because I love rye and rum finishing.
CactusThomas
AG
I liked both Dovetail and Armida. Not as daily drinkers but every now and then as a change of pace.

I look forward to trying Seagrass
Gunner33
Not a fan of the Armida.
SpiderDude
AG
Gunner33 said:

Not a fan of the Armida.

The bitter Amaro finish turn you off?! That's the best part!
Gunner33
SpiderDude said:

Gunner33 said:

Not a fan of the Armida.

That may have been it. It's been a little while since tasting it. I just knew I wasn't having any more.
SpiderDude
AG
Gunner33 said:

SpiderDude said:

Gunner33 said:

Not a fan of the Armida.

That may have been it. It's been a little while since tasting it. I just knew I wasn't having any more.

Nose of pear, green apple and honeysuckle. Rum brown sugar on the palate. Bitter Amaro on the finish (especially present on the back and side of the tongue). Long finish where the pear makes a comeback. Was probably finished in barrels of this...

Or maybe this...

Bourbon Junkie
If you're a Maker's Mark fan, get to Spec's at Walnut Hill/75. They have:

3 FAE 01 for $68 (in the cabinet)

Maker's Mark 46 store pick

Something with "SRS Bloopers" on the label. No idea what it is and nothing came up on a search but I figured I'd mention it in case someone might be interested.
Merph42
AG
Any thoughts on Hibiki? Specifically the Japanese Harmony bottle.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Haven't had that one in particular.

General warning to do your research on Japanese whisky. Loose controls on what's allowed to be called Japanese allows scotch/similar to be imported and sold as Japanese.

If you like it that's great and feel free to continue drinking it, just don't want people to buy into a brand or trend and get something they aren't expecting.
Cyprian
AG
Merph42 said:

Any thoughts on Hibiki? Specifically the Japanese Harmony bottle.
I'm a fan. Very smooth and balanced, with just a light touch of peat.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
Johnsy3
AG
A local liquor store in Spring has a few bottles of Garrison Bros Laguna Madre. It goes for $295.

It's an 8 year old TX bourbon that apparently won double gold at the SF World Spirits Competition.

Nuts.
MarathonAg12
You lost me at 8 year old Texas bourbon....
jh0400
AG
I would've bought two to trade assuming they're still bringing GTS or THH.
MarathonAg12
jh0400 said:

I would've bought two to trade assuming they're still bringing GTS or THH.
As of the last 24 hours:

Saw a Laguna go for 700 cash

and another go for GTS19 plus ETL (900+ in trade value)
jetch17
AG
Good lord
LCE
AG
Have tried GB regular offerings and spent $70 on their Honey bottle. Haven't like any of them.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Now that BSM dissolved what's the new secondary market place on FB?
LPHA
AG
Texas Showroom is the main one I've used. I'm in a few other smaller/regional ones, but they mostly have the same few dbags posting all the time. Annoying as hell
proc
AG
Texas Showroom is pretty solid.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Brr-Bin 2nd Dairy is a big one. 14,000+ members.
Bourbon Junkie
As of 4:15 today, there were 2 bottles of OWA on the shelf at the Oaklawn TW for $56.

Gotdam, I hate 1 bottle limits. haha
SnyderAg02
Funny, I saw this exact same post on Reddit.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Some pretty interesting posts on that reddit account.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Bourbon Junkie
SnyderAg02 said:

Funny, I saw this exact same post on Reddit.
Yeah, that was me. Probably didn't help anyone but figured I'd post it.
SnyderAg02
It was a good effort. I'm sure someone hauled ass that way in hopes of landing one.
austinag1997
AG
Garrison Bros bourbon has a highest and best use as lighter fluid.
MarathonAg12
LPHA said:

Texas Showroom is the main one I've used. I'm in a few other smaller/regional ones, but they mostly have the same few dbags posting all the time. Annoying as hell

I think we might be in the same ones and I think I know the people you are talking about it haha

They post a semi decent bottle next to a shelf turd in hopes of landing their ISO. (But for some reason their ISO bottles are way under value and their FT bottles are sky high). Then you hit those guys in the PMs and they won't budge or willing to work with you.....

Then they kill their post and put an equally chitty offering the next day.....yeah that drives me nuts.

No one wants to put up bottles for bottles and just trying to get the upper hand.
FTAco07
AG
Agree. I don't understand all the haggling over $5-$10 in the comments. So many people willing to pay $215 for a bottle of something but not $225. If it was really about the bourbon that wouldn't happen, but so many people are trying to "win" all the time.
tlfw378
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

You lost me at 8 year old Texas bourbon....

Cool...I've been called a bourbon snob too. So I don't have any problem with someone liking or disliking anything for any reason. That being said, bourbon is made all over the USA. Every distillery has different environmental conditions that has an impact on their product. We aren't talking about Scotch where the entire country is experiencing the same environmental conditions making the age statement more uniform. 8 years in Texas does not equal 8 years in Kentucky. Or more precisely...8 year old Kentucky bourbon is not equal to 8 year old Texas bourbon.
proc
AG
I'm holding out for a bottle of the Still Austin cask strength, but their straight bourbon has me optimistic that they have avoided the "Texas funk".

Harbinger Single Barrel was a vast improvement, as was Grayson.
MarathonAg12
I'll take out the word Texas and Kentucky.

8 year cut down 101 proof bourbon for $300

Or

8 year unfiltered 130 proof bourbon for $49

Everyone has their preference and wants.

I like Texas beer

My bourbon from Kentucky

And Tequila!
tlfw378
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Or

I like Texas beer

My bourbon from Kentucky

And Tequila!

You are missing the point. You cannot take out the State when emphasizing the age. You have mentioned age as a big deal many times in this thread. To me, age isn't that important as you think it is. A 4 year bourbon can be better then a 10 year bourbon. I love Elijah Craig. Give the the barrel proof any day over the 94 version. However, I like the barrel proof version better then the 18 year too. YMMV.
CTGilley
AG
tlfw378 said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Or

I like Texas beer

My bourbon from Kentucky

And Tequila!

You are missing the point. You cannot take out the State when emphasizing the age. You have mentioned age as a big deal many times in this thread. To me, age isn't that important as you think it is. A 4 year bourbon can be better then a 10 year bourbon. I love Elijah Craig. Give the the barrel proof any day over the 94 version. However, I like the barrel proof version better then the 18 year too. YMMV.
I think a lot of people believe that 9-12 year Kentucky is the sweet spot. A lot of time MGP can be really good 4-8 years.
First Page Last Page
Page 629 of 1096

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.