Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,826,167 Views | 38297 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Tksymm7
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sazerac said:

I know it's allocated, but 90 proof sour mash isn't getting me too excited
Okay. Feel free to send me any ETL you have!
07fta07
AG
It's good, not great. RHF blows it away, but I'm not passing on it at $45 either.
CactusThomas
AG
ETL makes good wampum
jetch17
AG
GD ... ETL at retail is redonk. Now sell it to me
Sixdrakes
AG
Random time of year for Total Wine to drop ETL
07fta07
AG
Yes it is. Last year was early August I think.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Bourbon Junkie said:

Cyprian said:

wessimo said:

Cyprian said:

Holy *****... Total wine drawing email, won't post details uet to jinx myself! Not going to believe it until I have that in my actual hands anyways. I've reread the email about 10 times now.

Secondary market, here I come... I'll have to explain this one to the wife upfront. She'll think I'm nuts until I explain the ending.

So, get that bottle?

Yup, M25 as predicted. I got it this morning actually - here's a pic.

Worth about $6,700 according to BottleBlueBook.com.
One of these just sold for $7,000 shipped
betadawg1
AG
Our barrel selection of ER was conducted in historic Warehouse H.

4 barrels to chose from - 2 filled in January 2011 & 2 in February 2011. Narrowed it down to the 2 from February. Both were filled on the same day and aged in the same location, with 1 barrel between them. It's amazing how different they were. One was sweet with a hint of honey on the front end and the other was bold with some heat on the finish.

After we made the selection we got to sample it straight from the barrel at 133.4 proof. Absolutely one of the best bourbons I have ever tasted. Wish there would have been a way to get it at barrel strength, would have been worth a kidney or first born.

We were very lucky and fortunate to have this opportunity and I can whole heartedly say that if you ever have a chance do not let it pass by.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
I would have had you give Susannah a big kiss for me had I known.
wessimo
AG
Who is included in "our" and can I get some?

Why don't they sell it at barrel strength?
Sazerac
AG
So the tasting was hand watered down to standard 90?
betadawg1
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

I would have had you give Susannah a big kiss for me had I known.

She was very nice. Hopefully I can see her next year too.

wessimo said:

Who is included in "our" and can I get some?

Why don't they sell it at barrel strength?

Sorry, small group of friends this time around.

I wish. Eagle Rare Barrel Strength has a nice ring to it.

Sazerac said:

So the tasting was hand watered down to standard 90?

Yes, just like you buy it.

I'm afraid the small taste at the end might have ruined me. It will be the rare occasion that something matches it.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Y'all didn't get it both ways? We thieve from the barrel, get nice and toasted, pick a barrel, then proof down for final selection.
betadawg1
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

Y'all didn't get it both ways? We thieve from the barrel, get nice and toasted, pick a barrel, then proof down for final selection.

No, we had to pick from the proofed down samples. Only then could we thieve from the one we picked. Your way sounds a lot more fun.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Have an option to pick up a 4R Single Barrel Barrel Strength in one of two varieties. An OBSV or an OBSQ. Anyone have a strong opinion one way or another?
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
Sazerac
AG
I don't love the Q, have been trying to find a V.
Depends on what flavor profile you lean toward.
07fta07
AG
I do like the Q, but I'd go V all day every day.
CactusThomas
AG
Porque no los dos?
GarlandAg2012
AG
I went V.
the_batman26: I guess yall need this, its something to take pride in. At least the Feds trusted us with the Space Center; and I seem to recall the Feds not having the best time in Dallas.
MW03
AG
Stumbled my way into a raffle today by accident. The promotion was to buy any Old Soul product, and get a raffle ticket. I was curious enough to buy an Old Soul SB store pick and hung around for the raffle, since you had to be present to win.

Draw time. Guy says they have about 75 tickets for 43 different allocated bottles. Maybe 40 people are there for the draw. Here's what's on the table.

When I was up, pretty much all the ER was available,as was the Moore. Flirted with the ECBP and the KC cask, but I've had both of those. Was hoping for better, but ended up getting called in time to grab one of the Blanton store pick 375 bottles. Pretty pleased since I wasn't expecting anything when I walked in, and I'm pleased to try the Old Soul anyway.
SpiderDude
AG
betadawg1 said:

After we made the selection we got to sample it straight from the barrel at 133.4 proof. Absolutely one of the best bourbons I have ever tasted. Wish there would have been a way to get it at barrel strength, would have been worth a kidney or first born.

Sooo... essentially getting to try Stagg SFTB. I'm straight jelly! Good times!
betadawg1
AG
It was delicious. It's weird, I thought it drank better at 133 than 90. Seemed like it had less heat on the finish.
betadawg1
AG
This was the final haul.

MarathonAg12
Beta, that's like a decade of bourbon right there.

Nice score
Wheatables02
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Beta, that's like a decade of bourbon right there.

Nice score
DDSO
AG
I want to get a nice bottle of rye for a buddy who loves to make old fashions. While I enjoy bourbon, I never make cocktails, so I need some help picking out the rye. I asked his wife and she had no clue what he likes. Any help would be appreciated. Just let me know if I need to move this to the cocktail thread.

Price - Lets keep it under $75.

TIA
andrewch783
AG
DDSO said:

I want to get a nice bottle of rye for a buddy who loves to make old fashions. While I enjoy bourbon, I never make cocktails, so I need some help picking out the rye. I asked his wife and she had no clue what he likes. Any help would be appreciated. Just let me know if I need to move this to the cocktail thread.

TIA

Rare breed rye is delicious if you can find it. If not, Pikesville rye is well liked and high west double rye makes a nice old fashioned as well.
AgHawkeye
AG
DDSO said:

TIA

Right now you can find a Jefferson Rye finished in Cognac casks for about $70 that is delicious. I don't know that I would use it in an Old Fashion as it tastes great straight. My go to Rye for Old Fashions is Templeton 6 yo. Easy to find, not too expensive and decent straight too. Also as an Iowa boy who stopped at the distillery on a RAGNRAI ride I am biased. My old fashion last night was with Elijah Craig Rye and at about $35 it was just fine.
Ag-Hawkeye
Wheatables02
AG
DDSO said:

TIA

Pikesville Rye
Sazerac
AG
Honestly get a 1.75 of Bulleit Rye

Nicer bottles of Rye are too good for cocktails.
DDSO
AG
Quote:

Nicer bottles of Rye are too good for cocktails.
I agree with this. I didn't know if it made difference in cocktails or not.
BR 82
Yeah, my favorite rye for an old fashioned is Rittenhouse. It's maybe $25? I wouldn't mess with a super expensive rye for mixing.
MW03
AG
This old soul SB is pretty tasty. Pleasantly surprised.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Y'all wouldn't believe this but there was actually a time you could make an OF with Bookers and nobody thought that was indulgent.
CactusThomas
AG
You're not the only one who has been drinking bourbon for more than 10 years.
First Page Last Page
Page 626 of 1095

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.