Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,833,702 Views | 38366 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by rca21978
proc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

proc said:

And cask strengths, that are not barrel proof.

And barrel strengths, that are not barrel proof.

Examples of these?
I will get to it when I can. Barrel Proof is a ATF legal term like bottled in bond. Barrel proof means the bourbon in the bottle is the same proof as when it was barreled. Quite a few go up in proof as they age in the barrel, so some are left that way on purpose as a cask strength or barrel strength, though they no longer meet the legal definition of barrel proof.

Clear as unfiltered bourbon? If I've got it wrong, call me out on it, because I'd like to get this right in my own head.
John Francis Donaghy
aad03 said:

If you are a large distiller, cranking out batch after batch of sour mash whiskey, like most do; and then you run a batch with a brand new sweet mash, that is just one example of what they might label as "Small Batch." Or it could be sold as some sort of "Limited Release" like Woodford does each year. Just depends how they want to market it, I suppose.

That's true, That's one instance where a distiller might label a product Small Batch, but it would because of the size of the batch, and there would be no reason to presume the batch is sweet mash just because it's small. The vast majority of Small Batch labeled bourbons are sour mash.
mazag08
AG
trouble said:

The hell do you bake with coriander in it?
Corriander has a slightly tart lemon/lime taste. It's usually paired with Asian, Indian, South American, and Caribbean dishes. I use it in lemon cakes and lemon bars to give a bit of an earthiness to balance out the sweetness. I also use it with all the other baking spices in Wassail, mulled wine, and some cocktails.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
proc said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

proc said:

And cask strengths, that are not barrel proof.

And barrel strengths, that are not barrel proof.

Examples of these?
I will get to it when I can. Barrel Proof is a ATF legal term like bottled in bond. Barrel proof means the bourbon in the bottle is the same proof as when it was barreled. Quite a few go up in proof as they age in the barrel, so some are left that way on purpose as a cask strength or barrel strength, though they no longer meet the legal definition of barrel proof.

Clear as unfiltered bourbon? If I've got it wrong, call me out on it, because I'd like to get this right in my own head.
Barrel proof is the proof of the spirit when it was dumped from the barrel.

You are confusing barrel proof with barrel entry proof.

Cask strength and barrel strength are synonymous with barrel proof.
Bourbon Junkie
FYI - Barrel entry proof is the same as full proof
trouble
AG
Interesting. I use nutmeg in those.
Aggie Hunter
AG
Can someone fill me in on this? 1 per customer caught my attention.
Wheatables02
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

Can someone fill me in on this? 1 per customer caught my attention.

Last release was MGP and supposed to be good. Buy it. Come back and buy the other for me if in DFW
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Barrel proof MGP?

And I hate seeing anyone "rate" a single barrel, i.e., McKenna 10 year.
Avocado Toast
AG
Today was a good day!
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Yes, got this today. Good day indeed.
MarathonAg12
Ducks4brkfast said:

Yes, got this today. Good day indeed.

Well this looks familiar! Enjoy.

Thisguy1
Is the Smoke Wagon straight burbon hard to find? Saw a couple bottles at Specs and bought one just because I've seen the name on here a few times and I don't know that I've ever seen it on a shelf before.
MarathonAg12
Their straight Bourbon Whiskey is really good. Can't beat the $28 price tag. It's not on the shelves very long. Had it for a few hours at my Specs yesterday.
AGdent07
AG
Grabbed these this week. Opened up the smoke wagon and enjoying it. Found all these on the way back from Arkansas. Was hoping to find some old dusties. Came across some great bottles at terrible prices.
proc
AG
AGdent07 said:

Grabbed these this week. Opened up the smoke wagon and enjoying it. Found all these on the way back from Arkansas. Was hoping to find some old dusties. Came across some great bottles at terrible prices.

Every one of those bottles is freaking wonderful. And the 3 on the right are super hard to find on a shelf.
Sazerac
AG
Not in Arkansas apparently
Farmer1906
AG
proc said:

AGdent07 said:

Every one of those bottles is freaking wonderful. And the 3 on the right are super hard to find on a shelf.

The one on the left is probably the hardest since that bottle hasn't been made in years.
CharlieBrown17
AG
While true, unless that EC still says 12 years in the paragraph on the back it's no different than the current bottling.
AGdent07
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

While true, unless that EC still says 12 years in the paragraph on the back it's no different than the current bottling.

Unfortunately it's just the regular small batch (I think around 8 years). I grabbed it because it's a 1.75 and old label. Super dusty bottle and kind of a cool find. All those bottles were purchased at retail. Passed on tons of stuff like BTAC, ec18, etc. found but all at secondary or higher.
CharlieBrown17
AG
I hear that, I bought a 750 in college station for the same reason a few years back.

Did end up finding up a few handles with the big red 12 in BFE Mississippi that I'm almost done with.
cc10106
I'm curious if anyone here has tried Grayson whiskey yet? I know it just started hitting shelves the last week or two but not in Houston yet.

Grayson Texas Blended Bourbon Whiskey
TikkaShooter
Nice!

While I think the Smoke is the bottle with the most pizzaz of all 4, I find the K12 to be the best to my taste buds.
MarathonAg12
6 days, 8 bottles. Time to take a break from trading, as fun as it is for me, and enjoy what's in front of me.
Bourbon Junkie
MarathonAg12 said:

6 days, 8 bottles. Time to take a break from trading, as fun as it is for me, and enjoy what's in front of me.

2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 7, 5, 8
MarathonAg12
Order of drinking?! I can do that. I'm going to open one of the 2020GTS on my daughters second birthday in May. I was gone for a year, missed her 1st birthday last year due to Covid and a DoD international travel ban. The year 2020 has a deeper meaning to our family.
MarathonAg12
I bought a bottle so you *******s didn't have to!

Nose: sweet, corn and grain, a little nutty
Mouth: oak, leathery syrup and very light texture
Finish: dry bananas

Extremely light and underwhelming. Great for entertaining guests that don't drink bourbon and simply saying this is Peyton Manning's bourbon. If I'm seeing you soon, I can pour out a sample for you to taste. Hit me up offline.
LPHA
AG
Couldn't get a bite on your trade offer for a PVW 23?
wessimo
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

"Manning and Roddick, admittedly not bourbon experts, think Eaves' expertise is the reason Sweetens Cove Bourbon is worth the $200 price tag. Their celebrity surely lends credibility, too."

Ya'll let me know how it is....
proc
AG
cc10106 said:

I'm curious if anyone here has tried Grayson whiskey yet? I know it just started hitting shelves the last week or two but not in Houston yet.

Grayson Texas Blended Bourbon Whiskey
I grabbed a bottle at the distillery. It's mighty fine. Personally, I cannot taste Harbinger, Lone Elm, or Balcones in it at all, which I think is pretty cool.
MarathonAg12
LPHA said:

Couldn't get a bite on your trade offer for a PVW 23?

Yeah. Very surprised. The guy at Specs said it was highly allocated and the Pappy Van Winkle of Tennessee. Said if I didn't buy it now I would regret it. He did hook me up with a case of Walking Stick because I was his favorite customer.
proc
AG
Pappy Van Dickel.
LPHA
AG
I would have taken the offer for one Omaha and a sports clap, and not deleted the post. Some good responses on there
Elsjuan
AG
I'd trade you a 2020 ofbb for one of those GTS 2020. opening up a birthday bourbon would be better. Pokerface
MarathonAg12
LPHA said:

I would have taken the offer for one Omaha and a sports clap, and not deleted the post. Some good responses on there

I didn't delete it man. It got taken down.
First Page Last Page
Page 621 of 1097

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.