Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************* BOURBON *******************

4,860,120 Views | 38614 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by Dr. Teeth
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
"Manning and Roddick, admittedly not bourbon experts, think Eaves' expertise is the reason Sweetens Cove Bourbon is worth the $200 price tag. Their celebrity surely lends credibility, too."

Ya'll let me know how it is....
proc
AG
Gonna have to pass on that one, dawg.
Bunk Moreland
a Kendra Scott/Jim Nantz collab for $200 a bottle?
SpiderDude
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

"Manning and Roddick, admittedly not bourbon experts, think Eaves' expertise is the reason Sweetens Cove Bourbon is worth the $200 price tag. Their celebrity surely lends credibility, too."

Ya'll let me know how it is.

Looks like they went to the Garrison Brothers school of product placement and pricing. Hard pass.
CactusThomas
AG
Boat Shoes said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/drinks/2021/04/21/sweetens-cove-tennessee-bourbon-backed-by-peyton-manning-and-andy-roddick-lands-in-texas-this-week/

Wow that reads like an article from the Onion or Babylon Bee.

Four year old sourced bourbon for $200 backed by the most random collection of "celebrities". Called the Tennessee Pappy.

My favorite part is the RV mom who is the Master (non)Distiller. She tasted 250+ barrels while pregnant.
TThom
$200 Dickel bourbon?

I'm a big fan of Blue Note...but hard pass on $200 "celebrity" bourbon
MarathonAg12
I hear its going to be the Tennessee Pappy Van Winkle.

If you guys want to sell me your Weller products to get cash for those bottles....I'll be here.
LawHall88
AG
Speaking of celebrity bourbons, has anyone tried Bradshaw Bourbon? It's gotten decent reviews at a price point of about $40.
proc
AG
TThom said:

$200 Dickel bourbon?

I'm a big fan of Blue Note...but hard pass on $200 "celebrity" bourbon
Blue Note is freaking wonderful.
aad03
AG
"Small Batch" is a more vague term than "Single Barrel." The distiller can designate something as "Small Batch" earlier in the process, before it is even barreled. You can make a batch with a different mash bill ( or any other variable), and call it a small batch. Presumably, a "Small Batch" bourbon would be a sweet mash, as opposed to a sour mash, but that may not be true in every case. If that bourbon comes out of it's barrel, and is not married with any other barrels, that, my friend, is a Single Barrel bourbon.
Class of '03
TThom
Any update on the possible Texags barrel pick? I thought I saw it may be a Blue Note pick a few pages back?
Wheatables02
AG
TThom said:

Any update on the possible Texags barrel pick? I thought I saw it may be a Blue Note pick a few pages back?
Expert level lurking right there...
TThom
Lurking? Maybe? Not sure what qualifies for that. Just don't post much but been around for a bit.

I've never gotten in on a barrel pick before so am kind of excited for this one if it comes to fruition. I did the survey when it came out. Just curious

And happen to have stumbled across my first bottle of Blue Note last week and have been enjoying it
tlfw378
AG
Single Barrel is a vague term? I think it is extremely specific. Nothing vague in the least. Small batch does not have a specific definition...nor a size limitation.
John Francis Donaghy
aad03 said:

"Small Batch" is a more vague term than "Single Barrel." The distiller can designate something as "Small Batch" earlier in the process, before it is even barreled. You can make a batch with a different mash bill ( or any other variable), and call it a small batch. Presumably, a "Small Batch" bourbon would be a sweet mash, as opposed to a sour mash, but that may not be true in every case. If that bourbon comes out of it's barrel, and is not married with any other barrels, that, my friend, is a Single Barrel bourbon.

Almost all bourbon is sour mash. The size of the batch or whether it's single barrel has nothing to do with whether or not the mash was soured prior to distillation.
Daytona22
AG
Agreed that I was looking forward to it as well. We have enough interest to sell out a barrel but it's up to whoever the contact was that could make the Dickel pick happen. Haven't heard since the survey was done.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
Still waiting on samples. I'll follow up.
aad03
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

aad03 said:

Almost all bourbon is sour mash. The size of the batch or whether it's single barrel has nothing to do with whether or not the mash was soured prior to distillation.

Most are sour mash for the sake of consistency, using some backset from the previous batch. Sweet mash is a complete new batch, with new yeast added to the mash, completely independent of the previous mash. You are making a new batch from scratch. This is just one way a distiller might qualify something as "Small Batch." There are many ways to designate something as "Small Batch," for the sake of marketing. Whether it's a sweet or sour mash, they go through the same fermentation process. Assuming that is what you mean by "soured." Single Barrel is pretty straight forward, never meant to imply there might be anything vague about that designation. I think you may have misinterpreted my previous post.
Class of '03
aad03
AG
tlfw378 said:

Single Barrel is a vague term? I think it is extremely specific. Nothing vague in the least. Small batch does not have a specific definition...nor a size limitation.

I think we are in agreement. I said Small Batch was vague, not Single Barrel.
Class of '03
John Francis Donaghy
aad03 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

aad03 said:

Most are sour mash for the sake of consistency, using some backset from the previous batch. Sweet mash is a complete new batch, with new yeast added to the mash, completely independent of the previous mash. You are making a new batch from scratch. This is just one way a distiller might qualify something as "Small Batch." There are many ways to designate something as "Small Batch," for the sake of marketing. Whether it's a sweet or sour mash, they go through the same fermentation process. Assuming that is what you mean by "soured." Single Barrel is pretty straight forward, never meant to imply there might be anything vague about that designation. I think you may have misinterpreted my previous post.
No misinterpretation. Small Batch refers the number of barrels that are mixed (batched) together before bottling. Small Batch means fewer barrels mixed together, which presumably means they were more selective about the barrels and have more control over the taste of the final bottled product than a large batch bourbon like a standard Jim Beam or Makers Mark which prioritize consistency over excellence.

You're correct in that there is a lot of wiggle room as to what constitutes a "Small" Batch vs. a large batch and there's really no standards either way, but that has nothing at all to do with whether the product was made with sweet or sour mash.
aad03
AG
If you are a large distiller, cranking out batch after batch of sour mash whiskey, like most do; and then you run a batch with a brand new sweet mash, that is just one example of what they might label as "Small Batch." Or it could be sold as some sort of "Limited Release" like Woodford does each year. Just depends how they want to market it, I suppose.
Class of '03
tlfw378
AG
Last years Garrison Brother's Small Batch went over 50,000 bottles.
proc
AG
I really like how Elijah Craig takes it, and makes a single barrel out of a small batch.

And then we have single barrel, barrel proof.

And single barrels that are not barrel proof.

And barrel proofs that are not single barrel.

And cask strengths, that are not barrel proof.

And barrel strengths, that are not barrel proof.

Does your head hurt yet? It must be designed to make us drink more.
MarathonAg12
I did a side by side of Discovery 4 and Stagg Jr Batch 14

Both amazing Bourbons. Discovery 4 is worth every penny on its $130 MSRP. And Stagg Jr is worth every penny on its MSRP. (HA, it's worth its secondary price too)

It was a tie for me and will have equal bottles of each stashed.

Round 1 (Neat):

Discovery 4 offers a nose of chocolate covered raisins. First sip provides notes of cherries covered in baking spices. A mild oak and plum finish lingers in your mouth for minutes.

Stagg Jr provides a nose of a higher proof right away with a spicy caramel aroma. I tasted the buttery crust of a cherry pie. Very thick and syrupy leaving a long warm finish.

Winner: Discovery 4

Round 2 (1 drop of water):

Discovery thins out and remains tasty but Stagg Jr takes the cake by mellowing out to warm cherry cola.

Winner: Stagg Jr

Overall thoughts:

Drinking Bardstown is like dressing up and going to a Nutcracker ballet. A perfectly blended batch of 15, 13 and 10 year old Kentucky bourbons that dance around your glass. Perfect for a relaxing evening and introducing to people new to the bourbon scene.

Stagg Jr is like going to a B.B. King concert in a basement in downtown Chicago. You'll get the old soul of what bourbon is all about with a heavy hitting proof. Perfect to break out once your guests have wet their whistle and feeling good.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
proc said:

And cask strengths, that are not barrel proof.

And barrel strengths, that are not barrel proof.

Examples of these?
MJ20/20
AG
Does Bardstown use Wild Turkey distillate?
Sazerac
AG
When's the last time you had cherries covered in baking spices??
MarathonAg12
This is "probably" the break down I've pulled from a website.

55% 13 year old Kentucky bourbon, 74% corn, 18% rye, 8% barley (Barton)
37% 15 year Kentucky bourbon 78.5% corn, 13% rye, 8.5% barley, (probably Jim Beam)
8% 10 year Kentucky bourbon 75% corn, 13% rye, 12% malted barley, (my best guess is Wild Turkey)
MarathonAg12
MarathonAg12
Trading Day
trouble
AG
Sazerac said:

When's the last time you had cherries covered in baking spices??

The last time I baked a cherry pie
Bourbon Junkie
I don't even know what a baking spice is.
MarathonAg12
Bourbon Junkie said:

You guys need to get in a kitchen.

mazag08
AG
MarathonAg12 said:

Bourbon Junkie said:

You guys need to get in a kitchen.

No corriander?

What's wrong with you?
trouble
AG
The hell do you bake with coriander in it?
First Page Last Page
Page 620 of 1104

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.